What becomes of the championship if Hendo wins and leaves his gloves in the Octagon?

An 8 man tournament would be sick, even a 4 man tournament would be great. I doubt that would happen though, tournaments just aren't something the UFC does anymore. They would probably just have Weidman and Rockhold rematch for the vacant belt. Possibly Anderson vs Weidman 3 depending on how things play out.

Perfect time for a tournament really. Either Hendo wins or Bisping wins and the division is healthy.

They'd probably make Bisping/Rockhold 3 since rubber matches are big in combat sports and Bisping is a draw and the last champ.

Anderson would be their choice instead of Rockhold if he came off a win or at least a close enough fight to make that somewhat acceptable, but there is no such scenario. Weidman comes off a loss as well and is dealing with an injury. Jacare could be an option, but he has no history with Bisping and isn't a former UFC champ. Same goes for Romero.

So I'd guess Bisping/Rockhold 3 would be the easy choice, with Jacare & Romero having an outside chance to take Luke's place.

According to Matt Hughes, you're not a champion until you defend your title.

For Hendo's sake...it's a good thing not everyone is Matt Hughes..
And also because he has won major titles in the past.

Probably have to hold a Royal Rumble with the whole top ten

No tournament. The only 2 people that deserve a shot at the title are Romero and Jacare. Rocksalt and Whineman can fight each other for the next shot.

They aren't doing a tournament after the last two big ones (the SF HW tournament and the UFC FlW tournament) ended-up in a mess that lasted much longer than expected. There wasn't a tournament when Jones was stripped, there wasn't a tournament when GSP retired.

I don't personally think there will be a tournament, either. The SF HWT tournament turned into a joke. In this age of interim championships, I can't see the UFC wanting to have a vacant title. Hell, they were going to have an interim champion crowned on the same card the legitimate champ was healthy and fighting on!

I think it would be Weidman/Rockhold rematch, unless Bisping is scoring 10-8 rounds until he becomes recipient of a "lucky H-bomb" late in the 5th -- then it's the Rockhold/Bisping rematch to prove it wasn't a fluke last time. It's certainly not the way it should be, but none of us can predict exactly what the UFC will really do when it comes to matchmaking.

Not sure, but it's going to be another Frank Shamrock situation.

Then we will have to endure years of hearing people say " Don't count Hendo..he's the real GOAT... he could take out the top 10,,"

Back