what association do you think has the best no gi tech

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
id have to say renzos cause of just how many guys gyms he has right beside each other they completely dominate ny and jersey and fact renzo was big into vt and help started adcc so he was a pioneer of no gi

they don really focus on a lot of fancy gi stuff atos has some good no gi and marcelo but i feel renzos team holds the crown for being the best no gi team

Affiliation? Is this by now a real question?

Definitely seems like in recent years Renzo and Danaher are producing some real killers.

WTF happened to 10th Planet?

I think they have the best grapplers they've ever had. And they've got some awesome prospects like PJ Barch and Keith Krikorian.

I think their main problem is a lot of their ideas are good in theory but the implementation of them isn't that great (their warm-ups is just one example).

To me they seem to try and wide the wave moreso than trying to provide the wave. They'll see something work at a high level and try to catch up on that technique or meta-game but they're already behind on it. I think for multiple reasons their organization is less likely to attract the more athletic and competitive alpha type personalities that would be more drawn to train at an Atos or Alliance or GB school. And if someone wanted to be a full-time no gi athlete (which wasn't a possibility 5 years ago) I think a person with that goal would want to head to RGA, Unity, or even Marcelo's. New York seems to be the hub for cutting edge no gi at the moment.

They've also always marketed in a way that emphasizes short cuts or ways around the normal process. They don't seem to put a lot of stock in guard retention or guard passing as compared to submissions and that's fine for what they're mostly focused on (sub-only) but even at the top levels that ability to retain and pass guard is still the difference maker.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the best competitor in the Renzo association (Gordon) has the best guard retention and best guard passing out of all his teammates.

Garry Tonon is known for conceding bad positions but since the Lucas Lepri loss he figured he needed better guard retention and changed how he plays guard. Watch JT Torres vs Tonon at ADCC. JT is one of the best passers on the planet and Tonon played guard for 15 minutes and didn't get passed.

What's wrong with their warm-up? I've only seen videos of it, but looks.... not bad? A little kata:ish with so many steps but also kind of a nice mnemonic.

With Eddie Cummings added in Unity's no gi should benefit a lot.
Inversion and berimbolos combine well with heel hooks (and they have pressure passing too).

Their warmups?

I also see what you mean by the more talented athletes going to other super teams. Strangely enough I feel like 10th planet skews younger than any other team on average. I've trained at 2 locations and the avg age seemed to be early 20s. They also seem to attract a lot of wrestlers. You would think they would have ample prospects to build up.

Renzo's is the obvious answer, but no one should sleep on Atos or Alliance. Both had more ADCC medalists than the DDS in 2017.

Definitely seems like in recent years Renzo and Danaher are producing some real killers.

10th planets better nwo than they ever were hell they didnt even have a black belt till 2009 or 10 when denny got promoted but tbh his top guys dont play or do things eddie taught them the elg locks are things his guys developed not so much eddie

yeah alliance as awhole but the main hq in atl i dont really see many top blacks or browns dominating anymore but they are mostly a gi gym i think

back in the day cobrinha and ian mcpherson were doing very well and alliance was like top 3 best gyms in the world back around 2008-2011 i just havnt heard much now after ian quit competing and cobrinha left

Their warmups?

I also see what you mean by the more talented athletes going to other super teams. Strangely enough I feel like 10th planet skews younger than any other team on average. I've trained at 2 locations and the avg age seemed to be early 20s. They also seem to attract a lot of wrestlers. You would think they would have ample prospects to build up.
of course they attract young kids because eddie only allows conspiracy theorist to train with him and flat earthers and people who tend to buy into that are usually under the age of 30

With Eddie Cummings added in Unity's no gi should benefit a lot.
Inversion and berimbolos combine well with heel hooks (and they have pressure passing too).
yeah i said the same thing they already have there ibjjf shit down they took the miyao bros and made them into good smash passers now they got the best leg lock guy on the planet so the skys the limit and they let people train for free 3 days a week for team training . i only see good things coming from unity as long as nobody breaks off soon

eddie only allows conspiracy theorist to train with him and flat earthers
As hilarious as this would be it's blatantly false.

Their warmups?

I think their warm ups are very good in theory. I think warming up using actual jiu-jitsu or at least functional movements to help jiu-jitsu is much better than warming up with running around in a circle and stretching.

I think one problem with them is they're just way too long and overly specific. I have other issues with them but I have to try to gather my thoughts a little bit to keep from rambling. I don't hate them and they're onto something with them but I think they could be implemented in a better way.

I think their warm ups are very good in theory. I think warming up using actual jiu-jitsu or at least functional movements to help jiu-jitsu is much better than warming up with running around in a circle and stretching.

I think one problem with them is they're just way too long and overly specific. I have other issues with them but I have to try to gather my thoughts a little bit to keep from rambling. I don't hate them and they're onto something with them but I think they could be implemented in a better way.

I should probably take a warmup class before I type anything else out further.

Warmup seems to be a misnomer - they have an entire class (about 1 hour) just to doing the warmups. My guess is that it basically takes the place of a fundamentals class and allows people to slowly integrate into bjj in general and 10th planet's system specifically.

Also I know you're being facetious tekkenfan but you should really try out a class at a 10th planet. I've taken two and they were the exact same format as any bjj class I've taken anywhere else. I will concede that their guard passing is generally weaker than most other places among the lower belts but I don't think this is the case with their brown/black belts.

those warmups violate a core educational principle of doing 1 thing really well instead of 10,000 things half-assed. I think a much better BJJ warmup in the same vein is to say something like "5 minutes, do your favorite closed guard sweep over and over."

I think, also, generic warmups get a bad rap; stretching, running, and doing fundamental movements (shrimping, sprawling, rolling) are an important part of preparing your body for the rigorous physical activity of an average BJJ class (not to mention presenting an independent activity while the instructor gets things ready). You don't need to be *learning* every second of the class.

Last edited:
those warmups violate a core educational principle of doing 1 thing really well instead of 10,000 things half-assed. I think a much better BJJ warmup in the same vein is to say something like "5 minutes, do your favorite closed guard sweep (or sequence for higher belts) over and over."

I think, also, generic warmups get a bad rap; stretching, running, and doing fundamental movements (shrimping, sprawling, rolling) are an important part of preparing your body for the rigorous physical activity of an average BJJ class (not to mention presenting an independent activity while the instructor gets things ready). You don't need to be *learning* every second of the class.

Blah, just play a game then. Those fundamental movements are done half assed as well.

Also an advanced class should not need warmups. You should be able to pace yourself to warm up, even if it's just a rolling session.

Hey, @tekkenfan ... PUNCTUATION EXISTS FOR A REASON, MOTHERFUCKER. USE IT.

I hate trying to read your posts. It's like the unbroken rantings of a child. You know how kids just speak without any pauses or filter and it never makes any sense? That's how your posts read.

I don't know why it triggers me so bad, but it does.

{<jimmies}

Back