What artist have left a successful group to go on to have even greater success?

I own every Art Garfunkel album. Paul Simon was definitely the dead weight in that duo.

art_garfunkel-300x300.jpg

LOL...

GU3y7yj.jpg

I would not consider Ozzy an example of this... yeah I know Ozzy became super famous after he left Sabbath but to be honest I never liked his music, he was just a showman, a crazy wild act, I think he was way to drugged up to do any music, he got away with doing crazy shit and impressionable kids at the time just said "oh cool" I do not consider becoming famous to be "successful" necesarily, if you do I guess we have different definitions of it.... to this day you listen Black Sabbaths first albums and you hear great music.... Ozzy Osbourne on his own??? not so much

Ozzy made great music after Sabbath, not being better than Black Sabbath pretty much describes all music, or close to it at least. He was a legendary figure in a legendary band, it's arguable he had greater success on his own with the television show and fame he gained above Geezer, Iomi, and Ward.

Speaking of Black Sabbath, I would throw Dio in to the mix. He was a member of multiple bands, and had success in more than one, but is best known for his solo work. David Coverdale had success with White Snake after leaving Deep Purple which is a hard band to follow up.

G-Dragon has had a lot of success outside of Big Bang. Though, I don't think he has left the group.

4893c9d6cd3a3cf8b0ccf3e10cc8293e.jpg

Tupac left Digital Underground and went solo.

Iggy pop steve windwood joan jett eric clapton ted nugent .... there are quite a few more.

Nirvana is k own for single handedly destroying butt rock. Kurt Cobain had a documentary made about him, transcends musical genres as is evident by references to him in rap songs, and Courtney Love got famous just by sucking his dick. Nobody knows or cares who Dave Grohl is fucking.
Preach on brotha!

I still can't believe Li'l Wayne blew up like he did. I can only picture him as a second fiddle gremlin from the Cash Money heyday. Now his name gets thrown around in GOAT MC discussions.

I still can't believe Li'l Wayne blew up like he did. I can only picture him as a second fiddle gremlin from the Cash Money heyday. Now his name gets thrown around in GOAT MC discussions.

Sadly yes, The downfall of hip hop came when he became the top guy

This.

I would have never in a million years thought that lil dude would blow up like he did.

Even if Kurt >Grohl, I think Grohl deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

I would not consider Ozzy an example of this... yeah I know Ozzy became super famous after he left Sabbath but to be honest I never liked his music, he was just a showman, a crazy wild act, I think he was way to drugged up to do any music, he got away with doing crazy shit and impressionable kids at the time just said "oh cool" I do not consider becoming famous to be "successful" necesarily, if you do I guess we have different definitions of it.... to this day you listen Black Sabbaths first albums and you hear great music.... Ozzy Osbourne on his own??? not so much

It's all subjective, but...

You're crazy. Sure, he did some shocking stuff in the early 80s, but his music was solid.

Blizzard of Ozz > Anything Sabbath ever did (in my opinion)

He may have gone downhill after No More Tears, but he had some great albums up until and including that:

Blizzard of Ozz
Diary of a Madman
Bark at the Moon
Ultimate Sin
No Rest for the Wicked
No More Tears

King Diamond (Mercyful Fate)

Glenn Danzig (Misfits, Samhain)

Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath)

Yngwie J Malmsteen (Steeler, Alcatrazz)

Zakk Wylde (Ozzy) - In my opinion, Ozzy started to decline after No More Tears. Yeah, he's still Ozzy and he'll sell out shows, etc. But his first 6 (not counting Speak of the Devil or Just Say Ozzy) solo albums were the best stuff he produced. Zakk Wylde had a great solo album (Book of Shadows), Pride and Glory and BLS. (Although, you could also argue that a lot of his solo success was because he became famous with Ozzy, but that's not the point.)

Lemmy Kilminser.

Leaving Sam Gopal for Motorhead.

Bobby Brown

sure, greater success than new edition had after he left, but i don't think he did any better than he was before compared to johnny gill or even bbd, none of which would have had their hits with out the great babyface, who trumps them all to the point that his live version of two occasions is the only one you hear on the radio, not the deele.

Back