What are your weekly cardio conditioning routines like?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by roventu, Aug 25, 2015.

1. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

Yeah I know that everyone is at different levels, just like to see what ppl do and how long/often they do it.

For me:

-2-3x jogging 4-5 miles (usually jogging for 40-60 minutes depending on the route i take, I take short 30s walking breaks once in awhile though)
    -1-2x basketball (usually 1.5-2 hours, usually play 1v1s or 2v2s)

I stopped doing skiprope because I get really bad case of plantar fasciitis, even after only few minutes of it (i still try it once in awhile to see if the ache returns, it always does lol).

anyone do anything outside of the usual roadwork: cycling? rowing? zumba? swimming?

2. DyslexicDave

DyslexicDave Banned Banned

jacking it 7 times daily (no rest day)

3. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

[​IMG]

its generally considered anaerobic if the exercise lasts only 30 seconds

4. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

I find extended cardio is counterproductive. I can go 67% on the bags for like 12 hours in a row. 2 minutes of hard sparring is brutal.

SPRINT your runs in my opinion. Don't dick around with mall walking or ellipticals, SPRINT. That's what happens when you fight.

I will also point out I'm white and naturally have more endurance and less explosiveness than a black person. You DO need to take that into consideration. You don't want to cut into your explosiveness by overtraining cardio.

5. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

lol haha

personally I mix it up between jogging (7-10km), cycling (20-30km), stair climbing (up and down) or swimming when I have big bruises or small injury which prevent me from other type of training.

6. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

Good points. i dont think i'm overtraining atm because my cardio is below average, my pace is pretty slow. once I can do 3miles without stopping, I will transition to more sprinting. I do try intervals (sprint,jog,walk) at a local track right beside the basketball court, but thats occasional. Problem with doing higher speed = higher risk of injury. and if you're regularly going faster, i think you'll eventually get an injury. I'm already dealing with a lower back injury haha

Just wondering - how do you know you're 'overtraining' cardio? and how would it affect explosiveness?

7. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

I think it depends on what sport you do.
    if you do muay thai there is a reason Thais jog a lot. I dont jog daily but at least twice a week. And you can always add sprinting at the end of jogging to kill yourself.
    It is to improve calf strength and endurance. Hence why all my trainers have huge calves relative to their size :eek:
    I dont know about boxing or mma though

8. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

I also have herniated disc, how do you train your lower back man?
    I think a safe way to train explosiveness is running uphill at a moderate speed (maybe on a treadmill for more safety), it really represent a short burst of combo like when we fight

9. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

well it's more of a rib injury but its located at my lower back, right where the floating ribs are (most ppl think the floating ribs attach to the front, but they're only located at your back and extend halfway, which is why they're floating). since then, ive just been really conscious about injuries lol been stretching/foam rolling every morning. that routine will probably die out soon due to laziness though lol

how'd you get your herniated disc?

and good point about hill sprints. I pass by 2 steep hills on my jog so I will try that next time.

10. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

cardio? umm...i did do three rounds of rope in a row last week. occasionally, ill run about 1.5 miles lol. outside of training, not much cardio going on unfortunately.

all i know is...even when im really out of shape, i can always get up and run 3 miles in 30 mins or do three rounds of rope in a row. im not a fatass like the average American though...

11. November

November Yellow Belt

I don't do much running but I do a kettlebell and battle rope circuit a few times a week in the morning before my evening training. I do ten 45s intervals w/ 15s rest in between. I do 3 full rounds with 1 minute rest between rounds. Each round consists of 5 intervals on the ropes and 5 with the kettlebell(s). I don't know if this is as effective for striking, but it is awesome for grapplers (my wourkout of choice when I was wrestling).

12. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

My training outside of MT could be better, but it's better than nothing.

I train about twice a week in class for two hours; busy schedule with work, grad degree and a kid.

I'll do bag work or spar/box with a friend outside of class once or twice a week. And strength train once or twice a week in addition to running or swimming the same day.

In addition, I mountain bike about 5 to 10 miles on the weekend with my girlfriend doing single track (THAT is a workout, believe you me) and then other days I'll run but only about 2 miles trying to keep my mile at about 8.5 minutes per mile. I want to be able to get my run to about 3 miles in 23 minutes, so roughly just under 8 minute miles but it's tough. I am about 205, not overweight but not 175 (almost too skinny) like I was 20 years ago when I was 20.

If I am sore and find myself at the gym, or it's too cold to run outside in the winter I'll swim for about 25 minutes; 10 or more 50 meter laps.

For those of you that have some good mountain bike trails near you I highly, highly recommend getting a good mountain bike and getting into single track trail riding. It's a great workout and doesn't feel like work. I like sports and will play tennis or even skateboard. I am trying to pick up a pair of roller skis too (used to x-country a lot as a kid).

Some days in lieu of running I will do sprints and man those tear up my hamstrings.

I weigh myself every saturday morning to make sure I am keeping at a good weight. For now I need to get down to about 195 for a smoker in October, so about a pound a week from here on out. When I have my first real ammie fight (at 40 yr old, sigh...) a few months later I will be fighting at 185, will try to do 5 pounds water weight 24 hrs before weigh in.

13. AndyTran

AndyTran Yellow Belt

I got 2 herniated disc during my training kickboxing in the Netherlands, doing tire flip when not properly warmed up -..- that was two years ago now I still got the pain occasionally when being too tired/ cold etc but relatively Im fine. Spine injuries are no joke though.
    Stretching is really really important, I think yoga might help a lot to be incorporated into cardio/ strength training for martial arts in general, great flexibility, core strength, muscle endurance, etc.

14. TheFinerDetails

TheFinerDetails Orange Belt

I hate running, but if when I have spare time I jump rope a lot, sometimes 30 minutes of light on-off cardio, similar to a medium paced jog. I still run, just not as much as I'd like (or need probably).
    I wholeheartedly agree with the comment about sprinting though. Regardless of what style of fighting you train for, it's good to mix in some sort of sprint work. I hate running passionately, but I don't mind a 20 on 10 off 15 on 15 off sort of HIIT on a stationary bike or on the jump rope. It doesn't matter what you use really, as long as you push yourself. You can cheat any style of cardio really... We've all done the lazy runs where you could probably walk just as fast ;).
    Regardless though, fighting in any form has an element of explosiveness, whether that's for MT, Boxing, K1 rules, MMA. Training without a form of "sprinting" (which is HIIT...), I believe, is counter productive. You may only throw 3 or 4 shot combos, but adding in these sprint workouts will ensure you have the endurance and explosiveness to pull off that combo at full pace and strength, allow your body to reset faster (due to the nature of sprint style training) and then throw a few more later, while the long distance stuff ensures that you can do this multiple times throughout a round. I feel as if HIIT style workouts are great to throw in maybe every second day, but even then, I'd be lying if I said I follow this.
    Always have to remember what you're training for though... If your muscles are giving way before your cardio blows out, probably best to try and do some endurance based stuff, or possibly a bodywork style HIIT routine.
    I've spent years trying all different styles and this and that fad when I was younger, but really what I've found is that fitness is like a diet... You train to what your body needs, and a body can always benefit from a well balanced diet :).
    PS. Hope there's not too much broscience here in this.

15. Azam

Azam Brown Belt

My cardio regimen is usually this:

5min x 4 - Heavy bag work (try to do this everyday) - high intensity, full power kicks/punches - no half assing. 1 min rests between each set. This usually kills me - when I'm done it looks like I went for a swim lol.

HIIT Sprints: 1min sprint, 30 sec rest, 1min sprint, 15 sec rest, 1min sprint - at the moment do 2 sets of this but going to extend it to three sets.

Then about 2x5km timed runs a week which I do in about 24mins even though I'm still 2kg heavier than I should be.

That's my usual regimen - tend to do the HIIT Sprints & heavy bag work everyday and timed runs every week. I'll have occasional breaks though where I don't do anything for a week - I'm on one of those right now lol.

Do jump rope whenever I get time but it's not planned.

I feel like the calisthenics & cardio regimen work well together for me - felt huge improvements not using heavy weight.

16. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

nice, yeah i guess a separate cardio routine isnt as required if you're already "past the hump" and in shape. the best conditioned guy at my gym doesnt even run anymore, but if you ask him to crank out 3miles he'll do it in a breeze, i assume he just maintains his levels through his sparring/workout

@FinerDetails yeah this thread has encouraged me to incorporate sprints more, it makes sense to train similar to how a fight would be. As for running, i used to hate it while on a treadmill at a gym, but jogging outside I feel like I could go forever without getting bored. The only problem is that its getting cold in Canada soon, and im not one of those winter warriors that still jog during winter, especially in canada lol

17. Young Turkey

Young Turkey Green Belt

Those are pretty short rest times, are you sprinting at 100%?

18. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

I thought the same thing. I made it to the physical fitness assessment after all the written assessments and interviews for a national law enforcement position about 5 years ago and part of the test is a 300 M sprint under 52 seconds. First time I got 53 seconds and the second time I tried I got 51, but failed the run time because I was so tired. Running full blast for a minute straight will totally suck the life out of you.

19. TheFinerDetails

TheFinerDetails Orange Belt

I believe in short rest times for short sprints, but 1minute to 15 seconds is nuts, if people can do that, they are beyond human to me!

20. Azam

Azam Brown Belt

Yep - it's a HIIT drill that I copied from the Kyokushin dojo I attended before. I changed the rest times though - originally it was 45sec, then 15sec.

Yes the objective is to use 100% effort and sprint - basically the drill measures your anaerobic output and you can chart your improvement or output.

Basically how it works is, you have point A & B. The goal is to sprint back and forth from A to B & making a mental note of the repetitions (from A to B & vice versa) you make in that minute - write those repetitions down or make mental note of them, the goal is try to up them week on week or month on month.

So with each 1min sprint you make a mental note of the reps, plus the goal for the 2nd sprint & 3rd sprint mentally should be - to be as close to your first 1min as possible.

It enables you to see your anaerobic output or measure it over weeks or days & see if your improving or not - which you will only do if you give it 100%.

The goal is to sprint 100% but inevitably after the 1st min, you'll slow down - simply not enough time to recover, but that's what the drill is designed to do - improve your cardiac output/recovery & test you.

I slow down after the 1st min - but I'm still sprinting at max effort 100%, even if it may not be as fast as in the 1st min.

Yeah 100% you'll feel like absolute shit afterwards - I always do it at the crack of dawn before breakfast and it almost makes me want to shit myself lol - that's how you feel at the end of it.

We use to do it every lesson at the Kyokushin dojo I attended and it really use to fuck me up & everyone else except for the seasoned fighters - as it would be the first thing we'd do in the lesson. But I noted the huge improvements it made to my cardiac output and I'm hugely appreciative to the instructor because it's something I always make use of now.