What are your thoughts on back up/alternate fighters!

BEATDOWNS

Power Slap OG
@plutonium
Reaction score
I personally don't like it. Why would a fighter put them selves through a training camp and weight cut on the off chance they might get to fight? If anything they should have a back up fight in the same weight class and if someone does drop out use one of those guys, main events only..

Discuss..

They get paid, for essentially training and a opportunity.

Great deal for some people.

I personally don't like it. Why would a fighter put them selves through a training camp and weight cut on the off chance they might get to fight? If anything they should have a back up fight in the same weight class and if someone does drop out use one of those guys, main events only..

Discuss..

As a fan?

How could you not love it?

It really sucks when headliners get cancelled at the last minute.

If anything they should have a back up fight in the same weight class and if someone does drop out use one of those guys, main events only

Isn't that what they already do?

Usman was the back up fighter for Woodley vs Till
Alexander Volkov was the back up fighter for Stipe vs DC I
Volkanovski was the back up fighter for Holloway vs Edgar

All made championship weight. I would have been fine seeing all of those back up fighters step in if somebody pulled out. They were all close to a TS anyways

As a fan?

How could you not love it?

It really sucks when headliners get cancelled at the last minute.

I just don't think the fighter would be in the right mindset, not knowing until the last minute and there would probably be a ton of excuses if he/she lost.

i.e two week Mendes just for an example..

Isn't that what they already do?

Usman was the back up fighter for Woodley vs Till
Alexander Volkov was the back up fighter for Stipe vs DC I
Volkanovski was the back up fighter for Holloway vs Edgar

All made championship weight. I would have been fine seeing all of those back up fighters step in if somebody pulled out. They were all close to a TS anyways

I'm saying use a guy that's already on the card that way they knows they're fighting for sure.

I'm saying use a guy that's already on the card that way he knows he's fighting for sure.

That's what they were going to do with Tony Ferguson at UFC 229 apparently. They also did it at UFC 223 with Al Iaquinta and he didn't make weight for the championship fight. So you'd have to tell the fighter to make the champ weight for sure. That's a tough extra pound for a lot of guys

I'd prefer a back up fighter who can solely focus on being a replacement. The other guys have fighters ahead of them

I don't mind the idea if the fighter is given some sort of compensation for his training and preparedness. In the invent he his called to fill in and the money just goes up from there.

Good way of keeping a fighter sharp, ready, & paid.

I just don't think the fighter would be in the right mindset, not knowing until the last minute and there would probably be a ton of excuses if he/she lost.

Ya I see what you're saying.

For me, I'd rather have that then no fight at all. But I can see the other side to this argument as well.

That's what they were going to do with Tony Ferguson at UFC 229 apparently. They also did it at UFC 223 with Al Iaquinta and he didn't make weight for the championship fight. So you'd have to tell the fighter to make the champ weight for sure. That's a tough extra pound for a lot of guys

I'd prefer a back up fighter who can solely focus on being a replacement. The other guys have fighters ahead of them

Moicono missed weight too when he was back up for Max and Ortega. So whats the point if they don't take it seriously?

I'm saying use a guy that's already on the card that way they knows they're fighting for sure.
Are you mentally handicapped? So your logic is to pull a fighter from a fight on the same card, so now that fighters opponent doesnt get to fight and loses his win money plus a possible POTN bonus?

Are you mentally handicapped? So your logic is to pull a fighter from a fight on the same card, so now that fighters opponent doesnt get to fight and loses his win money plus a possible POTN bonus?

It would be easier to replace a fighter 4 slots down the card then the main event you goof!

I am all for the idea of backup fighters.
However I see the other side of paying an additional fighter and scheduling conflicts, also the fact of going through a camp and then if your not needed? You put your body through that kind of stress?

However I feel like all title fights or even main events, should have an alternate replacement on hand. Too many times has a big fight fallen through. The smart thing they’ve done in the past is to schedule a high ranked fight in the same weight class and if the initial fight falls apart you can plug one of the others in.

Im fine with it.
Its a better option than removing a main event.
3 days Iaquinta was competitive and Cabo Diaz was a beast

I mean he obviously jumped on the opportunity, so I don’t understand what the problem is.

Moicono missed weight too when he was back up for Max and Ortega. So whats the point if they don't take it seriously?

That's on Moicono, he should be penalized as if he were the one advertised.

Im cool with backup fighters but they should be a fighter already on the card, and not an extra that “shadows” the show and may not get to fight.

Main card fights should have backup fights/fighters mirroring weight classes on the under card. Any main card fighter loses position last minute, plug in an already trained and weighed fighter to the main, scratch the undercard fight.

I think they do this already.

As long as they get paid for their camp and travel and shit then why not. If it was out of pocket then fuck that.

Im cool with backup fighters but they should be a fighter already on the card, and not an extra that “shadows” the show and may not get to fight.

Main card fights should have backup fights/fighters mirroring weight classes on the under card. Any main card fighter loses position last minute, plug in an already trained and weighed fighter to the main, scratch the undercard fight.

I think they do this already.
That doesn’t make sense money wise. Unless the undercard fighter that gets axed gets paid more. And we know Dana don’t like to pay.

And also the fact the person who would step up to fill in specifically trained for one fighter and then hops in last second to fight a possibly completely different type of fight. Not much time for a gameplay.

Back