What are your thoughts on animal experimentation?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Was Exiled, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

Not something I've ever really given much thought before, but while I was looking up some stuff to do with brain isolation I read about the dog and monkey head transplants (or body transplants) and honestly, I've seen a lot of gore videos on the internet but this was by far one of the most uncomfortable. Here's it in video (at 4:56)

There's also a pretty cool mini documentary about it that I'll post below.

Here's a picture of the dogs(honestly not 100% sure on the validity of this picture, I've seen a few different ones online that are pretty different from eachother so this could be fake, looks a little too clean)

[​IMG]

On one hand organ transplants are a direct result of animal experimentation and then on the other it just feels plain wrong in my gut. Then there's stuff like cosmetics being tested on animals and other things that don't improve quality of human life all that much at the expense of animals. Interested to hear some Sherdoggers opinions on it.

2. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

the mini-documentary

3. Krav McGraw

Krav McGraw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

One argument that Peter Singer writes about is that if you believe it's ok to experiment on perfectly healthy chimps for example, then why not also experiment on people with down syndrome or severe brain damage? In such cases, it's the chimp who is smarter and more self-aware and has a higher level of sentience.

4. SaintSoldier

SaintSoldier Brown Belt

I think it makes more sense to experiment on people who give their consent, and then pay them for it (if they survive). After all, we are just animals too.

5. GracieMMABarra

GracieMMABarra Word.

Or use those lovely never getting out prisoners.

For profit and science can be the new nationwide prison motto.

6. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

That's a really interesting point, never thought of something like that. If they were experimenting with ants I couldn't give a fuck but dogs,chimps and most animals? That's where I feel it gets weird and I know that it's hypocritical of me. I mean where does the line get drawn on what's considered dumb or insignificant enough to be tooled with?

"Mr Smith, it's your lawyer here - new evidence has emerged which concludes there's no possible way you could have convicted that murder 15 years ago, you'll be free to go and will be compensated heavily"

"cool"

[​IMG]

7. Street Level

Street Level Black Belt

On the mend but skipping physical therapy
    Better them then us (if shit goes bad). Then move to human testing (is shit doesn't go bad).

8. PabloZed

PabloZed Brown Belt

My brother does research on mice, and his outfit has all sorts of rules, etc regarding the mice. It is important research that could not be legally performed on humans. I can't see foregoing research simply because one thinks animals have extraordinary rights.

9. Krav McGraw

Krav McGraw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

That's the point of the argument. He questions why being a member of the species homo sapien gives one special privileges.

He argues that qualities like sentience and self-awareness hold more "moral weight" than what species you belong to.

Peter Singer is a master of these arguments. He has been doing it for over 30 years and I recommend looking up his lectures and writing if you want to really get into it.

10. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

Largely dependent on what the study is. I understand even groups like PETA that argue against part of the experimentation that go on for something like cosmetic products. However when it comes to stuff like a vaccine for polio? Sorry, some monkeys are gonna have to die.

11. Mae

Mae Purple Belt

I'm 100% against it. To test on conscious creatures who can suffer without their consent is immoral. I wouldn't experiment on humans or animals against their will.

12. El Che

El Che Jefe de Jefes

Why experiment and test things on animals when there's plenty of child rapists out there to do more accurate testing with humans themselves.

13. doomy200

doomy200 Brown Belt

If it can help save lives, sure. (It would have to be significant) If it's for cosmetics and things like that, they can go screw themselves. Go ahead and test it on the women who want those products.

14. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

What does he do(and do with them) out of curiosity?

15. kurtwpg

kurtwpg Silver Belt

Fuck mice. How any homeowner could stand up for those things is beyond me.

16. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

its the worst way to do it, but its also the best way we've got so keep on keepin on animal brain scramblers

17. livingdeadmoose

livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

100% disagree with it. We have plenty of murderers, rapists, child molestors, and sickos in prison. Use them up.

18. Bob Gray

Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

But would you sacrifice 1 life to save 1,000?

19. Crono7

Crono7 GET TO THE CHOPPA

Basically anything medical is tested on animals before human trials

all medications and what not

there is no alternative

my life is more important than a chimp's or dog's

20. Mae

Mae Purple Belt

I've moved away from consequentialism these last few years. I think it is wrong to kill someone against their will. If it is really okay to kill the few to protect the many, then it would be moral to test on a small group of islanders to help the rest of us out. I wouldn't want to be treated like that, so I wouldn't treat others as such.