what are your thoughts of one mr. david lawrence ramsey the third?

AristotleAmadopolis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tool? grifter? helpful citizen?

does anyone listen to this fella and his radio show?

has anyone read his book about the 12 baby steps?

is it advice you generally think is spot on or do you have an issue with his "get debt free by living like a pauper for 10 years" philosophy?

if i am listening to the radio and his show pops on i will usually listen to it. i enjoy hearing the different guests call in with their financial and life problems. i dont always agree with his advice or philosophy, but the show covers interesting personal finance related topics. but when he has guests on to do the "i'm debt free" scream i find somewhat cringy.

my biggest issue with his philosophy/advice is that we live in a debt based monetary system. it's almost unavoidable. you might be able to pay it down or off, but eventually there will be another unexpected expense that gets you back into debt. does it make sense to live on bare minimum for years eating nothing but rice and chicken not splurging or enjoying life - is that even living?

what are your thoughts on this fella?

IMG_6898optimiszed.jpg

You sound poor TS.

having said that, you should try and be debt free.

corporations have trained consumers to think being in debt is normal and to live a baller life.

tool? grifter? helpful citizen?

does anyone listen to this fella and his radio show?

has anyone read his book about the 12 baby steps?

is it advice you generally think is spot on or do you have an issue with his "get debt free by living like a pauper for 10 years" philosophy?

if i am listening to the radio and his show pops on i will usually listen to it. i enjoy hearing the different guests call in with their financial and life problems. i dont always agree with his advice or philosophy, but the show covers interesting personal finance related topics. but when he has guests on to do the "i'm debt free" scream i find somewhat cringy.

my biggest issue with his philosophy/advice is that we live in a debt based monetary system. it's almost unavoidable. you might be able to pay it down or off, but eventually there will be another unexpected expense that gets you back into debt. does it make sense to live on bare minimum for years eating nothing but rice and chicken not splurging or enjoying life - is that even living?

what are your thoughts on this fella?

IMG_6898optimiszed.jpg
What are you doing that you keep ending up in debt?

Certain investments, like education when you're young and unskilled might make sense to go into debt. But, I don't know why this would be a repeated cycle.

Never listened to it, but it seems like common sense to live within your means instead of piling on debt trying to buy a bunch of luxuries.

What are you doing that you keep ending up in debt?

Certain investments, like education when you're young and unskilled might make sense to go into debt. But, I don't know why this would be a repeated cycle.

not to get into my finances, but besides expenses that i put on my credit card i don't have debt because i'm frugal but i don't believe in not enjoying the finer things in life like proper 12.

dave ramsey is also against people using credit cards and thinks it's better to pay in cash. i get that using a credit card can turn into a runaway spending scenario if you're not careful.

repeated cycle would be: education, car(s), house, wedding, kids, divorce for some, etc.

He's better than Suze Orman! Her voice alone can cause markets to crash.

Good common sense advice mostly. Accumulating wealth is not easy if you are constantly paying interest on stuff you can't really afford.

My thoughts are that 3 is enough.
I’m really not too interested in a fourth.
Maybe a prequel origin story about his great grandfathers father.

He's probably helped make more millionaires than any other "financial guru". His baby steps plan involves; budgeting, reaching milestones, saving, investing, raising capital, having emergency funds, etc etc. It's all hard work and discipline. He really doesn't sell anything, his advice is open source at this point. So yeah, I like him. The only reason really not to like him is his religious foundational beliefs, which if you really give a shit, just ignore those parts.

He's made tons of money telling people about common sense

Don't lease a car
Don't overspend
Don't use high interest credit cards
Save x amount per month
Have x amount emergency
etc.

It's all very common sense but there are so many stupid people who just are impulsive and don't understand money.

I believe he came from money. It's much easier to give advice when you aren't digging yourself out of a hole. His advice isn't really ground breaking.

Yeah, that family money really helped out when he filed for bankruptcy.
I don't know much about him. I took a quick dive. I will say that a rich person declaring bankruptcy to protect their personal assets is different from a poor person's struggle.

How many people get a real estate license at 18 without parents who are in that field? How many people have a real estate portfolio of 4 million dollars and bring in to 250k a year by the time they are 26? He filed for personal bankruptcy protection because his bank got bought out and the new bank wanted the millions he borrowed within 3 months. Apparently Jesus helped him get out of this hole?

I don't know much about him. I took a quick dive. I will say that a rich person declaring bankruptcy to protect their personal assets is different from a poor person's struggle.

How many people get a real estate license at 18 without parents who are in that field? How many people have a real estate portfolio of 4 million dollars and bring in to 250k a year by the time they are 26? He filed for personal bankruptcy protection because his bank got bought out and the new bank wanted the millions he borrowed within 3 months. Apparently Jesus helped him get out of this hole?

He was never rich prior to his bankruptcy, that's the entire point of his reasoning now, he states that all the time. He was over leveraged and over borrowed and thought he was rich. If his family was rich and he was bequeathed all this money as you say, why was he taking loans out?

After his bankruptcy he and his wife lived in shitholes for years until they built back, he lost everything. He talks about this period of time in his life frequently, and has the receipts to back it all up.

He's probably helped make more millionaires than any other "financial guru". His baby steps plan involves; budgeting, reaching milestones, saving, investing, raising capital, having emergency funds, etc etc. It's all hard work and discipline. He really doesn't sell anything, his advice is open source at this point. So yeah, I like him. The only reason really not to like him is his religious foundational beliefs, which if you really give a shit, just ignore those parts.

good post. And even if u disagree with him on the religious part the idea of using some of your wealth to help out the less fortunate is not a bad idea. Although i think he preaches the idea of giving 10% of your income to a church as recommended in the bible. Yeah im sure the church is responsible with money.

I have no idea who he is.

he’s a tiktok social media influencer.

I believe he came from money. It's much easier to give advice when you aren't digging yourself out of a hole. His advice isn't really ground breaking.

Don’t know much about his past either but his financial advice works for the low income and high income.

He tells you to save as much money as possible and not be in debt. Simple as that.

Don’t know much about his past either but his financial advice works for the low income and high income.

He tells you to save as much money as possible and not be in debt. Simple as that.
I am not saying he is bad. He serves a purpose like AA for alcoholics. Some people can't control themselves with credit. It's not applicable for most of us with more self control and common sense.

In the end it's a guy living in a 10 million dollar house telling you how rough he had it but he was always ahead of the game due to his starting place in life. 26 year olds aren't taking millions out in loans.

Back