what are your strategies for not telegraphing strikes?

ChairmanJo

White Belt
Reaction score
I find even moderately better sparring partners able to evade a lot of my punches and kicks and teeps.

Aside from the Muay thai march and constant moving guard...are there are any other ways you guys disguise your strikes.

I guess feinting could be another one...

Cheers!!

I try to mix in feints more and more, especially if I'm not landing anything.

Other then that I just try to stay aware of any quirky things I might do that telegraph. Alot of guys have weird little things they'll do before throwing a shot that they're not even aware of, like stutter pump their fist or drop their opposite hand, etc. Just like a tell in poker.

Go ahead and ask your sparring partners if they noticed anything you do that telegraphs.

Use that telegraph as a set-up. For example, you really want to land a right straight. Keep pumping a left hook or a jab which ***** the body the opposite way. Then when he least expects it, after that hook or jab, your body's already cocked for that right straight.

What this guy said ^^^

Use set ups and misdirection.

Interesting....

So my orthodox jab which is telegraphed by my left shoulder can still hint but use it as part of my strategy for landing my right...

So feints are really crucial..like bluffing in poker....last hand I bluffed but this hand I am not bluffing....

Any modified version of the Muay thai foot march or constantly moving guard you guys use...

I'm going to have to incorporate this much more in the stance...guys who I should be tagging flush are evading or parrying a lot of my strikes....

Frustrating.... @-#

Mix up your attack. Try not to lead with the same punch or kick all the time. Get used to throwing from the same side in combinations. Nobody expects a right to the body followed by a right to the head. I guess because it doesn't really flow and not many people do it, but that always worked for me. I used to mess guys up with that. Right hook to the body(enough power for them to notice but not full torque) followed by a straight right to the head. The right to the head sat plenty of guys on their ass and not many of them even knew what they got hit with, but the body shot set it up.

Not setting up your strikes doesn't work when you start sparring with people that know what they're doing. Know what works for you and build off that. I was taught to set up hard strikes with quick strikes and that works pretty well for me.

My legs are (were before ankle issues) much faster than my hands So I Charge people and only hit them in mid range. If they back they eat kick. If they stap foreward I got fast hooks and UC. It works fine. Need to work the jab more tho.

One thing I find helps it to keep the shoulders moving. Most everyone is trained to look at the high mid-chest (where the esophageal notch is), so keep moving your shoulders. Whether it's like the Thai "march" or more like a Dutch style fighter, it helps to keep your opponent from seeing that sudden start to a punch.

Also, as noted above, set-ups and feints. Mix all 3 together, and you should be laughing.

Interesting....

So my orthodox jab which is telegraphed by my left shoulder can still hint but use it as part of my strategy for landing my right...

More like, since you're right straight is telegraphed by twisting your body the opposite way before turning into that right. Use that initial twist as a bait or a set up.

Save your strikes for when you're in range. Paw otherwise.
Watch what you do with your shoulders and feet. Lots of people only strike when they move their front foot forwards.
Start stuffing up your timing. Go for a jab but throw it out late. Throw strikes at different tempos and you'll be surprised what lands. But dont waste much time throwing strikes unless they are gonna land.

While I understand that different people have different strategies, I myself am not a big fan of pawing when out of range. When I see people pawing at me, I use that as a sort of "step ladder" to where I want to be. I like swatting the hand down while moving forward which creates added momentum for me to get inside.

For me...I have sound fundamentals but like to be unorthodox...so I throw punches with the correct technique but I don't throw punches in the order most are accustomed to. Also c/s with those who said if you do telegraph...telegraph and do something totally different...being unpredictable isn't that hard IF you are relaxed...if you're not relaxed...you're not going to go anywhere in terms of confusing your opponent.

While I understand that different people have different strategies, I myself am not a big fan of pawing when out of range. When I see people pawing at me, I use that as a sort of "step ladder" to where I want to be. I like swatting the hand down while moving forward which creates added momentum for me to get inside.

Same. I don't paw and I like it when people do, because really you're just making it easier for me to create an opening to attack. If I can touch your hand or wrist, I can manipulate it. I like to slap, pull, pluck (whatever you wanna call it) their hands down or away to create that split second opening in their guard to attack.

A lot of the time they'll retract quick enough to make a defense, but sometimes you'll catch people with it. And they think twice about leaving their hands out there. Oddly enough it's a concept I picked up from Wing Chun.

I saw a good video from expertboxing.com that said one telegraphs by showing the stress from an impending attack. By being loose and relaxed, the visual cues that usually come from the stress arent there. It makes sense to me.

I've started to add twitching, off time small feints I guess. Not sure if it'll work or not. Zombie style...

If someone reads you then as stated above, ya need to use that. The easiest prey is that which over reacts to a feint.

I like to throw out a combo say 2,1 right kick and see how they react. If for example they check the kick, I'll purposely telegraph it again except instead of right kick to the body, I'll sweep the other leg.

Back