What are your favorite and least favorite countries you've visited?

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm planning to reboot my travel life and, while certainly a large portion of this community is not particularly worldly, I know that we have a number of international posters.

So, what are your favorite and least favorite countries that you've visited, whether for business, tourism, or philanthropy.

My favorites have been:

1. Cuba
2. Iran
3. Nicaragua
4. Norway
5. Australia

My least favorite have been:

1. Russia
2. China
3. Italy
4. Brazil
5. Mexico (although I was just in Mexico City, and the city itself was just kind of overwhelming)

favorite Switzerland, Germany, Sri Lanka, Thailand
least favorite Russia, Japan, France, UK

favorite Switzerland, Germany, Sri Lanka, Thailand
least favorite Russia, Japan, France, UK

What was your experience in France? This has been on my itinerary, since I really appreciate French history (Revolution) and culture (skepticism, existentialism). But I have heard they can be a bit snooty.

I would kind of expect Japan would be harsh just because of how strict their culture is. Russia was just...I don't know.

Most
1. Botswana
2. UK (TCI and Scotland)
3. Iceland (apparently getting a little overrun now)
4. Israel
5. Switzerland

Least
1. France (I was a kid and some people were shockingly rude. I'd probably enjoy it now).
2. Zambia/Zimbabwe (I really enjoyed Victoria Falls, but not so much anything else).
3. Mexico
4. UK (northern Ireland, london)

Planning a trip right now.

Fuck I forgot
favorite: Italy

What was your experience in France? This has been on my itinerary, since I really appreciate French history (Revolution) and culture (skepticism, existentialism). But I have heard they can be a bit snooty.

I would kind of expect Japan would be harsh just because of how strict their culture is. Russia was just...I don't know.

idk i don't feel like i want to think about this in depth right now
france just has a lot of really seedy corners, the typical tourist spots are totally overcrowded with annoying idiots and in the rural areas we've met a lot of people with an extremely gruff demeanor, landlords who were annoyed at you for being there... idk just weird
i remember one time a guy got upset when he noticed that I and my gf speak french just because I asked a question in English earlier and started swearing at us, smth like this isn't America etc...
(we were paying guest there btw)
of course one barkeeper isn't representative for a nation but still, that sort of was the attitude of some people there, outside of the big cities
one time a group of noggers tried to rob us, basically in public and nobody gave a fuck lol
weird nation imo

For lifestyle?

Fav was probably Australia.
Least fav probably UK.

It's funny because those are generally treated as sister-countries rather than opposites, but the cultures are so different. People are damn near afraid to breathe wrong in western Europe. Australians are more like non-SJW Americans.

For purely traveling/history purposes, Eastern Europe was the most interesting, but I would find integration difficult. I just loved the geography and museums.

In order:

Favourite:
Korea
Japan
Czech republic
Croatia
Thailand

Least:
UAE
France
Italy
England

Favorite: 2002 Venezuela

Least: 2017 Venezuela

Fav: Australia probably too young when I went to judge Sweden Norway or Denmark

Worst: any middle eastern country or East Timor

Favorite:
Spain
Portugal
Iceland
New Zealand
Columbia

Least:
France
Germany
Qatar

Fave : Austria
Least fave : East Germany when the wall was still up.
Fave city : Budapest

Favorites:
pre refugee Germany was the shit
Spain and it's outlying islands were amazing (canaries and Balearic)
Switzerland was awesome, minus the exchange rate
Prague is my favorite world city, followed shortly by Budapest
still love Baja region of Mexico
Croatian coastline is pretty legit IMO
only ever been to Vancouver/BC in canada, but liked it. pretty much northern seattle IMO
Denmark and Netherlands were solid too

least favorite:
Afghanistan and Djibouti by large margins, and it's not remotely close. There's literally not one aspect that is w/in an iota of being a positive in either of those countries
Bahrain sucks
Kyrgyzstan is pretty atrocious, was -27F when i was there in the winter, no thank you
Kuwaiti society seemed fine, much more civilized than other Arab Muslim nations, but it would stuck rhino balls to live there.
France is my least favorite Euro country, just b/c the general attitude of the people there. But it was still legit to visit

Favourite
Japan
Vietnam
Hungary

Least favourite
Laos
Thailand

I'm making a list considering my experiences as a tourist and nothing else.

Favourites
1 - France
2 - Russia
3 - USA
4 - Canada

Least favourites but not necessarily bad
1 - Italy
2 - England

Favorite: Ireland

Least: China

In order:

Favourite:
Korea
Japan
Czech republic
Croatia
Thailand

Least:
UAE
France
Italy
England

Would you care to expand on your experience in Croatia? I live with a large Croatian community, but I've never really thought about visiting. I also liked Thailand but I've heard troubling stories about Japan.

Back