What are your all time favourites?

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For me it would be Louis vs Walcott 1, Lyle vs foreman and Marciano vs Moore.

Corrales-Castillo was like something out of a movie only better

Hagler- Hearns
Hearns- Durán
Jcc- Taylor 1
Rjj- Toney
Mayweather Castillo and Chico

—-

I find bowe golota compelling, I can’t look away.

Leonard Duran 1
Leonard Hearns 1
Leonard Hagler
Tyson Berbick
Mcguigan Pedrosa
Duran Barkley
Barrera Morales 1
Barrera Hamed
Pacman Oscar
Pacman Hatton
Hopkins Tarver
Marquez Diaz
Benn Eubank
Moore Macklin

For me it would be Louis vs Walcott 1, Lyle vs foreman and Marciano vs Moore.
i'm not sure if i ever watched louis walcott 1 all the way through, the others I did, ya, great fights. But really, there are so many.
Hagler/Hearns-some writer said there was violence in the air before it happened. It was a malevolence that everyone could feel whether they were their or watching on tv.
Camacho-Limon, Macho was dominating just about everyone he fought in those days, fighting with a history of boxing knowledge and like a true veteran, all at the ripe age of 20. He was nasty, hit with intent in those early years and was on a kayo spree of contenders before this fight. Limon wasn't a great, but a champion and he couldn't do a thing. Great fighters look like gods when they are at their peak and Macho had that very aura on that night, it's too bad he couldn't continue like that.
Pryor-Arguello, I have to say, any fight where a hero loses is bittersweet, no matter how great the action and this is a perfect example. In my opinion, this is my favorite fight of the 80's, a decade full of superfights, this was umpteen rounds full of fury. Everyone remembers the pitiful sight of Arguello slinking to the canvas but really, as bad as he was taking it, it was only marginally less bad as what he was dishing, neither man was the same after this or the second fights.
Pacquiao-Delahoya, Pac, as limited as he was and is, put on one of the most inhuman performances ever seen here. The fights of those years had mayweather convinced that something was rotten in denmark and he decided to wait until it was safe to fight this human tornado.
Ali-Liston 1, What George Chuvalo called Ali's best performance ever and I think he has a point. When it counted in those years, meaning, he fought killers like Liston and Williams, he didn't want to take one clean punch and he fought his ass off, making Liston quit and demolishing poor Williams so that he'd never have the oppurtunity to hurt him. No one knew in those years how great Ali's chin and heart were. He didn't even know, I'm sure.
Frazier-Ali, this is the go to fight for me when someone is mouthing off about wilder or whoever. Does anyone today show the know how, the stamina, the will and guts these two warriors did that night? These were craftsmen who knew their business and stretched their abilities way past the breaking point. Both men were never the same.

many, many more.

Hagler- Hearns
Hearns- Durán
Jcc- Taylor 1
Rjj- Toney
Mayweather Castillo and Chico

—-

I find bowe golota compelling, I can’t look away.
bowe golota were awesome, how anyone could ever question bowe's heart is ridiculous. I still think on his best night he would have beaten Lennox. That form didn't hold but for that fight though and he looked like a hype job for many of the later fights. At the time I thought it was unfair for him to get all that press while he struggled with the likes of herbie hide and buster mathis jr. I knew his time was coming and I remember seeing golota, not taken seriously, probably because in those days, people laughed at white fighters, when I saw him training and that speed for his size, I thought "this will be very interesting". Little did we know then that golota was a headcase who'd rather shoot himself in the foot than win a big fight.

i'm not sure if i ever watched louis walcott 1 all the way through, the others I did, ya, great fights. But really, there are so many.
Hagler/Hearns-some writer said there was violence in the air before it happened. It was a malevolence that everyone could feel whether they were their or watching on tv.
Camacho-Limon, Macho was dominating just about everyone he fought in those days, fighting with a history of boxing knowledge and like a true veteran, all at the ripe age of 20. He was nasty, hit with intent in those early years and was on a kayo spree of contenders before this fight. Limon wasn't a great, but a champion and he couldn't do a thing. Great fighters look like gods when they are at their peak and Macho had that very aura on that night, it's too bad he couldn't continue like that.
Pryor-Arguello, I have to say, any fight where a hero loses is bittersweet, no matter how great the action and this is a perfect example. In my opinion, this is my favorite fight of the 80's, a decade full of superfights, this was umpteen rounds full of fury. Everyone remembers the pitiful sight of Arguello slinking to the canvas but really, as bad as he was taking it, it was only marginally less bad as what he was dishing, neither man was the same after this or the second fights.
Pacquiao-Delahoya, Pac, as limited as he was and is, put on one of the most inhuman performances ever seen here. The fights of those years had mayweather convinced that something was rotten in denmark and he decided to wait until it was safe to fight this human tornado.
Ali-Liston 1, What George Chuvalo called Ali's best performance ever and I think he has a point. When it counted in those years, meaning, he fought killers like Liston and Williams, he didn't want to take one clean punch and he fought his ass off, making Liston quit and demolishing poor Williams so that he'd never have the oppurtunity to hurt him. No one knew in those years how great Ali's chin and heart were. He didn't even know, I'm sure.
Frazier-Ali, this is the go to fight for me when someone is mouthing off about wilder or whoever. Does anyone today show the know how, the stamina, the will and guts these two warriors did that night? These were craftsmen who knew their business and stretched their abilities way past the breaking point. Both men were never the same.

many, many more.
Arguello vs Pryor was one hell of a good fight, I'm a massive arguello fan though, so that one is bittersweet, like you said.

bowe golota were awesome, how anyone could ever question bowe's heart is ridiculous. I still think on his best night he would have beaten Lennox. That form didn't hold but for that fight though and he looked like a hype job for many of the later fights. At the time I thought it was unfair for him to get all that press while he struggled with the likes of herbie hide and buster mathis jr. I knew his time was coming and I remember seeing golota, not taken seriously, probably because in those days, people laughed at white fighters, when I saw him training and that speed for his size, I thought "this will be very interesting". Little did we know then that golota was a headcase who'd rather shoot himself in the foot than win a big fight.
I agree that liston was Ali's greatest performance, closely followed by his defeat of foreman.

Arguello vs Pryor was one hell of a good fight, I'm a massive arguello fan though, so that one is bittersweet, like you said.
ya, i'll revisit it from time to time because it's just that great a fight but it hurts my heart everytime the ending comes. I don't think Arguello ever forgave himself for losing these two fights but I wish I could've told him he did awesome, they both did. Oh yeah, and fuck richard steele, I don't know what would've happened in the second fight had he not broke the action to warn arguello not to hit low, fuck you richard steel, he wasn't hitting that low, you just liked to play favorites. Watching later fights of pryors, where he was kayoed by a shot to the shoulder by bobby joe young and knowing how often he was put down and hurt, arguello could have pulled it off, he did his best and that's all you can do on any given night. What artistry, better than hearns leonard just not as big.

Impossible question. I tend to end up enjoying fights where i have zero rooting interest more than fights were i'm a fan, have dough on the line, or have high expectations...

James Toney vs. Vasilly Jirov for still stands out for me. The end to end action, subtle skill, drama, great finish. Very rewatchable fight too.

Leonard Duran 1
Leonard Hearns 1
Leonard Hagler
Tyson Berbick
Mcguigan Pedrosa
Duran Barkley
Barrera Morales 1
Barrera Hamed
Pacman Oscar
Pacman Hatton
Hopkins Tarver
Marquez Diaz
Benn Eubank
Moore Macklin

Good shout. His victory over Davy Moore was also entertaining and instructive.

I saw golota early and thought he was going to be a monster. Surreal watching him implode- remember Duva begging him not to throw another body shot...

bowe himself melted down too. Sad really. I liked bowe- couldn’t stand rock Newman.

I find bowe golota compelling, I can’t look away.[/QUOTE]
I saw golota early and thought he was going to be a monster. Surreal watching him implode- remember Duva begging him not to throw another body shot...

bowe himself melted down too. Sad really. I liked bowe- couldn’t stand rock Newman.
no one liked rock, i didn't think he was that bad. bowe said recently that their breakup was because rock was hitting on his young daughter, that's fucked up but it wasn't over money. Golota turned out to be just another potential champ who could not keep his head on straight. many, many guys only have a few good fights in them then they fall apart, in fact, most lower level fighters are like that. that's why cus used to always emphasize character, character is what holds you together in and out of the ring. Not saintly character but championship character.

This is a fight I watch from time to time and always post in fight recommendation threads-

Holmes - Butterbean
Pac - Marquez wars
Wilder - Zelenoff
Wilder - Fury

Hagler/Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Mugabi
Walcott Marciano
Ali Frazier I & III
Marquez Vazquez III (first two were great but cut short)
Hopkins Trinidad
Mosley Margarito
Toney Jirov
Foreman Lyle
lupe pintor wilfredo gomez
Morales Pacquiao I
Pacquiao Cotto
Duran Palpalomino
Duran de jesus (all of them really)
Duran Buchanan
Sanchez vs Gomez
Toney McCallum
Marquez Diaz I

Every Canelo fight because they are entertaining.
All. Fuckin. One. Of. Them.

Gomez vs Pintor
Saad Muhammad vs Lopez II (and pretty much any prime Saad Muhammad fight)
The Zaragoza vs Banke trilogy
Hagler vs Hearns
Monshipour vs Sitchatchawal
Caveman Lee vs Lo Cicero
Quiroga vs Anifowoshi
Trinidad vs Vargas
Moorer vs Cooper

Gomez vs Pintor
Saad Muhammad vs Lopez II (and pretty much any prime Saad Muhammad fight)
The Zaragoza vs Banke trilogy
Hagler vs Hearns
Monshipour vs Sitchatchawal
Caveman Lee vs Lo Cicero
Quiroga vs Anifowoshi
Trinidad vs Vargas
Moorer vs Cooper
Quite a few I have never heard of. I will have to look them up. Muhammad vs Lopez was an excellent fight.

Back