What are the UFC doing with Edson Barboza

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BSellers11, Sep 26, 2013.

1. BSellers11

BSellers11 White Belt

The guy is an absolute killer. He is 6-1 in the UFC and has never faced a top 10 opponent. In his victories he has looked very impressive. His only setback was his loss to Varner.

No disrespect to Danny Castillo, I feel that Barboza should get his chance at someone in the top 10. Cerrone or Diaz would have been a good step up for him.

Anyone else agree that he is being held back a bit and has not had the opportunity to face higher level competition.

[​IMG]

www.bradsellers91.blogspot.co.uk

2. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    danny has looked good lately, and if Edson can ko or sub him it will be very impressive, id give him a crack at a top ten if he ko's or subs danny

3. The Real Pedro

The Real Pedro Red Belt

I think they see him as a talented prospect, but after the Varner debacle, they are bringing him along a bit more slowly.

4. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

He could've lost to Njoukuani and Ross Pearson. He's finished guys but none of those guys are really good (Lucas Martins could turn into a good fighter though). The biggest name he fought he lost to.

I'm not saying Barboza is bad or anything but the pace he's on seems fine. He's a good LW right now who could be a big player in the future. There's no need to rush the guy.

5. fightdonttweet

fightdonttweet Banned Banned

After losing by TKO to someone he was supposed to beat (Varner), they are rightfully taking it slow with him.

6. eatthisjerry

eatthisjerry Brown Belt

I've been saying it for ages.
    UFC is screwing Barboza badly.
    They gave freewins to the guy, then he fought Varner and lost.
    Then more freewins... now Castillo. Cmon, put him in the mix of mid-tiers and see how he'd fare. If he fails, fire him! It's better than baking him like that, fighting Rafaello's or bantamweights.

7. Oleg Salenko

Oleg Salenko Gustafsson 4 Lyfe - Da Best

Castillo is a good test for him.

8. OveratedCan

OveratedCan Purple Belt

Beating Castillo would be his best win yet.

9. Karelinator

Karelinator Bulgarian pursuittt Platinum Member

Eh, boxing + wrestling constant pressure in Varner smashed him to bits.

So they're checking how will he fare this time. Castillo is obviously more of a pure wrestlefucker though.

Can't see anything weird about it.

10. BionicCommando

BionicCommando Silver Belt

Listing injury replacements to justify your stance on why Barboza is being screwed over seems pretty flimsy. His original opponents, Justin Salas and John Makdessi, were pretty reasonable.

Again, what's the rush? The guy is far from a finished product and clearly needs more time in development. Rather than rush him, cut him and watch him prosper elsewhere, they're slowly building him up which is fine given how deep 155 is.

11. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Him vs Cerrone would be great. I see Barboza winning.

12. orangecuse

orangecuse Gold Belt

You'll get some people that will agree with you about all his wins being impressive(lol) and being ready for top-10.. The rest of us who live in the real world and dare to critique the flashy Brazilian striker will tell you he arguably lost to N-jo and Ross Pearson. He was tooled by Jaime Varner.

None of those guys are top-10. Cole Miller destroyed Ross Person. That's what you would call an impresive victory. Him and Cole have the same best win at LW. Cole's was way, way, way more impressive and definitive. Varner was tapped by Lauzon. Castilllo also beat N-jo.

A Danny Castillo fight actual seems like exaclty where he belongs. A spin kick hihlight and Danny's lack of a spin kick win doesnt change that. This seems about his place. A Spin kick over Terry Etm doesnt mean shit rankings wise. And whatever performances you felt were so impressive also doesnt warrant top-10 fight. It warrants a fight with someone like Danny Castillo.

Danny could beat everyone Edson has and CAstillo has a better resume. If you dont agree with this please explain why. I know youfeel that way just becasue he's a flashy Brazilian striker and a spin kick. But try and go deeper.

13. iLesnar

iLesnar Every dog has his day in MMA

Future UFC champ.

Maybe not against Pettis.

But he'll get there. I see it. He's young. I don't mind building him up.

But fighters like Glover and Roy, who are accomplished and are like 35, stop fucking around with them. Fighting Nelson, who is a name but not a top ranked fighter, before you go and change division. All that at an age of 33-35 (not looking it up). Wake the heck up.

14. VorTeX Raptor

VorTeX Raptor Brown Belt

Hes good and I even believe he could beat some of the top 10 but he is climbing the ladder, its ok since he lost to Varner. No shame in going slow

15. Nova44

Nova44 Brown Belt

I think it's a good matchup to tell how much he's improved since Varner took him out, he's been training with Frankie ever since so we'll see.

16. theanticool

theanticool Brown Belt

Meh, Danny Castillo is 6-2 in the ufc and hasn't got a crack at a top ten opponent either.

17. BiNgeSiN995

BiNgeSiN995 Brown Belt

Exactly this my friend hopefully everything works out for him and he goes far in the division he's an exciting fighter.

18. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

More you would want to see who belongs where ... I'm pretty sure both guys would want to belong on the top list...

19. Codpiece

Codpiece Met Conor Belt

All this is fact. Barboza is an AMAZING Muay Thai practitioner with some average striking defence and who is in need of a broader skill set to get to the top in LW. I love the guy, he can be awesome to watch, but unless he gets some wrestling chops LW is always going to be tough for him to get near the top.

He needs time and effort to grow, the pace is totally appropriate.

20. wwedanawhite

wwedanawhite Black Belt

probably just trying to build him up as future contender with a impressive UFC record, skill wise he's probably top 10, but the list of top contenders waiting on title shots or being near title shots is quite large. Might as well build a possible future star up slowly