What are the technical specifics required to defeat Khabib?

Mob69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What does Tony Ferguson (or anyone else for that matter) need to do in order to win a fight with Khabib? What are the specific techniques and tactics required to defeat him? I don't mean generic observations like 'avoid the takedown' or 'knock him out while on the feet'. These are all perfectly valid points, but the *how* is what concerns me here. What specifically should be done, and how?

I realise of course that actually *executing* a plan is infinitely more difficult in practice. Khabib is arguably the best P4P fighter in the game at the moment, utterly dominant, and undefeated. His grappling game is the deepest in the sport, seamlessly blending techniques from multiple varieties of wrestling, judo, sambo, and BJJ. His ground and pound is ferocious. Khabib's mastery of control positions is astonishing. His pressure is formidable. He uses the fighting environment expertly, specifically mostly getting takedowns against the cage so that he can trap opponents there while on the ground and prevent them from moving away as a prelude to smashing their heads in. His striking game on the feet is rudimentary but effective. What is most remarkable about Khabib - and personally I am no fan of the guy whatsoever, quite the opposite, I can't abide him - is that he has dominated the most heterogeneous division in the sport. If you can do that, crushing people who possess all manner of styles and techniques, for years on end, you are a special talent.

No fighter is unbeatable but I'm having trouble identifying the tactics required to defeat Khabib, and the how of actually delivering them.

Being a fighter with the name "Tony Ferguson".

Elite takedown defense,
Bjj black Belt,
Great Cardio,
Fundamental boxing on point.

Well for one, do not let your back go anywhere near the fence. Once Khabib has his arms locked around you, you're in trouble and being anywhere near the fence makes it almost impossible to try and avoid him going for the clinch or takedown.

Last edited:
T-Bol already beat him....

My Sherdog analyst skills are telling me takedown defense and make him strike. If only these stupid trained actual fighters could think of that.

Was it Tibau that did really well against Khabib? He could not take him down. Granted Khabib is a much more rounded fighter now but it gives you an indication as to the type of fighter that can give him problems.

Left leg kick to the head.

dictate range with the jab and set a high pace right away.
Keep his back away from the cage, that's Tony's weakest spot for TDD and Khabib's strongest for takedowns

Scramble at absolutely every chance (Tony might match Khabib with strength so scrambles might make for some wild shit)

Elbows
Elbows
Elbows
either on the ground or standing

Well for one, do not let your back go anywhere near the fence. Once Khabib has his arms locked around you, you're in trouble and being anywhere near the fence makes it almost impossible to try and avoid him going for the clinch or takedown.

Agreed. I think Tony must walk forward the entire fight. Do not let Khabib press him backwards. If he does, that’s annihilation.

dictate range with the jab and set a high pace right away.
Keep his back away from the cage, that's Tony's weakest spot for TDD and Khabib's strongest for takedowns

Scramble at absolutely every chance (Tony might match Khabib with strength so scrambles might make for some wild shit)

Elbows
Elbows
Elbows
either on the ground or standing

The scrambling is intriguing. I have a feeling that Khabib’s control is so good, from every position, that Ferguson will not be able to scramble. No space to move. If that’s the case, he’s fucked.

What does Tony Ferguson (or anyone else for that matter) need to do in order to win a fight with Khabib? What are the specific techniques and tactics required to defeat him? I don't mean generic observations like 'avoid the takedown' or 'knock him out while on the feet'. These are all perfectly valid points, but the *how* is what concerns me here. What specifically should be done, and how?

I realise of course that actually *executing* a plan is infinitely more difficult in practice. Khabib is arguably the best P4P fighter in the game at the moment, utterly dominant, and undefeated. His grappling game is the deepest in the sport, seamlessly blending techniques from multiple varieties of wrestling, judo, sambo, and BJJ. His ground and pound is ferocious. Khabib's mastery of control positions is astonishing. His pressure is formidable. He uses the fighting environment expertly, specifically mostly getting takedowns against the cage so that he can trap opponents there while on the ground and prevent them from moving away as a prelude to smashing their heads in. His striking game on the feet is rudimentary but effective. What is most remarkable about Khabib - and personally I am no fan of the guy whatsoever, quite the opposite, I can't abide him - is that he has dominated the most heterogeneous division in the sport. If you can do that, crushing people who possess all manner of styles and techniques, for years on end, you are a special talent.

No fighter is unbeatable but I'm having trouble identifying the tactics required to defeat Khabib, and the how of actually delivering them.

A solid ground game, someone who is not gunna waste all their energy or time trying to get up...the way you beat khabib is by bringing him into deep waters..you have survive the early takedowns and GNP by not trying to get up and spaz out but instead look for counters off your back or just reset or keep position till the later rounds..its been proven the longer the fighr goes the less takedowns khabibs lands...he fatigues over time...so once tired perhaps a submission off a poor takedown attempt or a high volume striking attack may cause a late tko...

It will be hard to win a decision agianst khabibs style though..

TDD + punch + kick that face
Not really some magical thing, same as any other dominate wrestler of the past, Khabaab is just so damn good at transitioning once he's in close

The scrambling is intriguing. I have a feeling that Khabib’s control is so good, from every position, that Ferguson will not be able to scramble. No space to move. If that’s the case, he’s fucked.
That's what I figured too but Tony is strong and I think he will be able to start scrambles, winning any of them is a different story.

But if he gets relaxed and tries to play guard like he did with Lee he's fucked and will absolutely get controlled.

A great guard... you WILL end up with Khabib on top of you (no homo). TDD is key, but don't be naive or egotistical and think you won't get taken down.

You need to get him backing up.

Khabibs striking defense is based on scuttling out of there when somebody starts throwing heat. He will never stand and bang. He needs to have the center of the octogon in order to do this.

Tony is going to have to launch out quick and crack Khabib early.

Good clinch defense and punching power on the feet. Unless you're Maia, good luck on the bottom. Or if you're a kicker, good luck getting into position to fire them with accuracy. But counter-punching ability with power and avoiding the clinch would make it closer to a boxing match, from where he can be hit and even backed down.

Back