What are the payment options at your gym?

Metamoris

White Belt
Reaction score
I love grappling and martial arts in general, but being in school and working a lot of hours, I usually don't have that much free time to workout. Just getting to the closest BJJ/Mma gyms usually knock an hour off my day(roundtrip). In the summer I usually travel as well, so with all things in consideration, I need a gym where I can pay monthly and not have to commit to a year membership from the getgo. There are some months where I just won't be able to train(exam months, long vacations). Most good gyms I've ran into so far make you pay your membership in whole immediately which sucks.

So I've been wondering, is this a common thing? Do your gyms also do that? I understand it's most likely better for them financially, it's just not convenient for my busy lifestyle.

My gym offer monthly, but it's a more expensive rate then if you sign a contract.

I think that's what most gyms do, unfortunately.

I lucked into what has to be the best case scenerio; a new, upstart pure sport BJJ gym without a black belt (we are an affiliate of a IBJJF BB out of Houston, Tx) but with a WORLD beating brown. The space is small, but we've attracted some of the best talent in the state. Flat monthly fee, and there is at least 1.5 hours of training 6 times a week. The owner/instructor isn't getting wealthy but he's paying the bills - both for the business and his cost of living - but most importantly he's basically getting paid to train and do BJJ all day every day. He's also a full time student. It can be done, man!

I would suggest you do some internet research and find a similar scenerio. When and if the day ever comes that you need to be surrounded by world class BB's, you cross that bridge when you get there. Until then find somewhere small, off the radar, with at least 2 or 3 legit, competitive, purple-or-higher belts who don't have the credentials (not a diss on them) to charge a whole lot but who love to train.

I think that's what most gyms do, unfortunately.

I lucked into what has to be the best case scenerio; a new, upstart pure sport BJJ gym without a black belt (we are an affiliate of a IBJJF BB out of Houston, Tx) but with a WORLD beating brown.

Who is the brown belt? Curious

We do options monthly is $115 more than contract and pay in advance is cheaper than all. We are running a school first but we are running a business second and being able to budget our money is important. If everyone was month to month it would make predicting our future revenue impossible.

The school where I train has a simple mat fee for visitors and or if you can't make enough classes to afford the monthly rate. We have some guys who can only train one time a week and for them it's a much better option to pay the mat fee.

I see a lot of people on here who are forced to sign up to 12 month or 24 month contracts at a crazy monthly fee...I always wondered what happened if you got injured? especially in a sport like MMA or any of the different grappling styles, injury is sure to happen at some point

I see a lot of people on here who are forced to sign up to 12 month or 24 month contracts at a crazy monthly fee...I always wondered what happened if you got injured? especially in a sport like MMA or any of the different grappling styles, injury is sure to happen at some point

Your contract almost always cancels or suspends if you get injured and can't train anymore.

This is going to vary by state in the US, but most states have laws on the books enforcing this. It's usually under health club regulations.

120 monthly cash
100 monthly eft with 30 days heads up cancellation
549 6 month eft
1000 yearly
20 drop in

i pay cash because the chinese are going to steal all the computer money soon. and because bartender.

its legit. pajama class and rolls for 5 hours, swim trunks for 5, 4 hours muay thai, 3 hours mma, and a 2 hour conditioning class per week. id say our black belt teaches anywhere between like 4 and 6 classes per week, and the other instructors are a 3 stripe purple and one stripe brown, and nogi dude has been doing shit since 1998.

plus maybe 2 hours of judo soon. fingers crossed!

I built a platform in my basement and put my own mats down. I invite over guys I used to train with when i am home on weekends and we roll every now and then for free. Only payment is alternating who picks up beer. We train what we know and it seems to be just as much fun when I started BJJ.

Cash. Monthly (two clubs) and drop in (third club). No contracts.

$1800 cash up front for one year.

34 classes a week, open all 7 days.

Full service gym with laundry, wifi, 4 LCD, showers, towels, soap, locker rooms, etc.

2 x 2nd degree blackbelts, 8 x world championships in blackbelt divisions

55 euros three times a week ( 2x1.5hrs class, 1x2hrs class) + weightsroom and sauna per month.

There are fees for 6 months and yearly.

$60/mo cash for our club. Most of it goes to keeping the keg full. Not public, though.

Back