What are the components that determine chin/durability?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by UFCBlackbelt, Aug 21, 2018.

1. UFCBlackbelt

UFCBlackbelt Blue Belt

I've been trying to break down what makes up what we call "a good chin" and after analyzing several scientific studies and articles I am still, for the most part, stumped.

First and foremost, "chin" is certainly a multi-factorial makeup. I don't think it's as simple as saying "alertness"

* Anatomy: Size does play a significant role in your ability to take a shot. Of course, we have plenty of heavyweights who drop quite easily, but if you paired them against a Welterweight we would see a significant difference. Because concussions are usually caused by movement inside the skull, I don't believe that the thickness of a person's head contributes greatly to it, however a strong mandible and strong neck muscles probably play a role in reducing the whiplash caused by certain strikes. This whiplash targets a weaker part of the skull which increases the movement of the brain inside the skull.

Furthermore, it seems some athletes simply have more durable brains. As in the brain requires a larger amount of force to shut down inside the skull.

* Long term health: Because the brain is an organ that does not recover, its usually the case that anyone who has been dropped will likely be dropped again in the future. This is why as fighters gain experience and suffer damage, their chins tend to get weaker (see Gaetche, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva)

* Alertness/awareness/technique: This part is the more conscious effort by the fighter to reduce damage. Generally fighters well-versed in boxing or have great alertness generally can take a shot better than others. They tend to roll with their shots reducing the impact (and therefore whiplash) of the strike. This can be seen easily by how sucker punches are very effective, but punches against an alert opponent are significantly harder to knock out with.

Does anyone have further input? Remember that the topic is about durability, not recovery.

HerpDerp likes this.
  2. 98bird

98bird Brown Belt

Building the muscles at and around the neck should help to keep the head from snapping back violently when struck, should also help. This seems to be a big problem for women.

Natesblackshirt likes this.
  3. 180ls1

180ls1 White Belt

Individual genetic differences in each athletes CNS which really cant be trained or improved upon.

DOMMA likes this.
  4. Sweater of AV

Sweater of AV Black Belt

If Big Nog decides to die one day hopefully we can crack him open and figure out what the hell was going on up there from 1976 to 2008.

Gambit MMA and Canada like this.
  5. nick jacoby

nick jacoby Brown Belt

I think its neck strength, head size. A KO if caused by your brain hitting your skull on impact and causing our brain to shut down.. (am I correct on this?) So it would make sense that dudes with huge heads would have more room before the brain hits the skull

dormammu likes this.
  6. NotoriousMillions

NotoriousMillions 27-1

People don't understand defense and reaction time are the single-most important aspects of a good chin. They equate "landing a punch" as if every punch is made equally.

screaminleeman likes this.
  7. Davey Crockett

Davey Crockett Mane, Firmino, Salah

8. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

Just looking for an excuse to post this gif..

[​IMG]

Mage Forthnutt likes this.
  9. CPH

CPH Let's party

Roids definitely help. I've seen many of these supposedly iron-chinned guys turn real chinny when they tried to go clean.

10. DOMMA

DOMMA Brown Belt

If this was true, you could never KO Tito. He has the biggest head on the planet:
    upload_2018-8-21_13-34-6.jpeg
    [​IMG]

11. screaminleeman

screaminleeman Red Belt

OMG, this all day long. I don't know why TS will not accept the simple fact that Humans chins ARE NOT designed to take direct impact well. PERIOD!

By MANY LIGHTYEARS various drugs/ PED combinations do 1,000,000 x times to (err, hmm Improve a chin or condition the brain for trauma! LMAO that there is training that can do a damn thing for a chin in comparison to the chemistry of today!

12. D'z

D'z Brown Belt

One component- Genetic Luck.

13. Teila_Tuli

Teila_Tuli White Belt

Practice. See below , no experience

upload_2018-8-21_13-53-42.gif

14. Canada

Canada Fa-fa-fa-fa fa-fa-fa-fa-fa far better Double Yellow Card

Luckily they couldn’t kill a fly with their punches.

15. dormammu

dormammu Banned Banned

I got a gigantic head, never been knocked out, been knocked down a few times, fell in a pool skating, also not knocked out, landed right on my chin. My anecdotal experience

16. nick jacoby

nick jacoby Brown Belt

But he hasnt ever been unconscious. He didnt really ever looked wobbled. He kinda just folds under pressure while getting his ass beat/

Like against chuck, lil nog and rashad. I think Tito probably has a great chin but he has a little bit of that Brock Lesnar syndrome..He just turtles up and takes his ass whooping from superior strikers.

Natesblackshirt likes this.
  17. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

+1 and the punch that hurts the most is the one you didn't see coming. that's why some sneaky punches that look weak KTFO a guy.

of course that's only one aspect. but a very important and oft overlooked one.

NotoriousMillions likes this.
  18. DOMMA

DOMMA Brown Belt

In hindsight - you may be correct. Never saw Tito go out (all the way out)

19. TinkleMan

TinkleMan Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

[​IMG]

Canada likes this.