What are the biggest myths that you debunked with your own eyes?

That PRIDE fighters>UFC fighters. You remember what the consensus was back in 2003-04-05? If you woulda posted that Rich Franklin and Chris Leben would have good/great wins over Wanderlei back then you wouldve been flamed to hell.
Prime Wanderlei murders both Franklin and Leben

But that's not WHY he wins

its correlative, not causative. both are caused by one man being the better fighter, so rankings are a Good indication of who is better. obviously it cant be perfect.

A lot of that was based on guys like Coleman, Kerr, randleman, pulver, mezger, bustamante, Newton, etc coming to pride in the early days and not doing very well. Coleman did ok, but he lost to all the good guys.

And it's not a myth.....the pride guys did better from that era.

Agreed, it's not necessarily the fact that PRIDE had the better fighters they just had more money to throw around and the better names wanted the better money and now they're in the UFC.

That Chael Sonnen is some clever wordsmith. I get embarrassed when I hear him trying to make clever one liners, he's almost as lame and cheesy as Mauro Renallo. When he drops the schtick he's much easier to listen to.

For me, it was Paulo Filho's "world class" BJJ. I actually bought the hype when he was in Pride. Years later and to quote Chael Sonnen, I knew it was a happy meal when I saw Dave Branch controlled him with ease.

Wow, you didn't debunk shit then. Filho submitted Chael Sonnen, so I don't see where he gets off saying anything like that. Filho clearly had mental issues, watch the rematch with Sonnen. He was visibly insane in that fight.

Being told by Goldie that "this is the fight we've been waiting our whole lives for!"

That ripped muscular guys will always beat skinny guys.

Jones wins solely on skill; his size has nothing to do with his dominance :icon_lol:

Yeah right.

That Gus wins solely on skill; his size has nothing to do with his dominance :icon_lol:

Yeah Right.

See how easy it is to write bullshit?

so rankings are a Good indication of who is better

The subjectivity that is required to make up the rankings suggests otherwise.

Because ... wtf does "better" even mean? And who's to say that's the criteria?

K1 level striking is greatest myth in the HISTORY of MMA.....

(Bracing for impending shitstorm)

And I am having my doubts as to whether "top of the food chain jiu jitsu" and it transferring over to MMA is a myth as well....

I'll agree to an extent with both but while K1 slightly overlaps with MMA striking, top level BJJ is more consistent in MMA.

Where did you get that it has to absolute? They are quite handy as a rough measurement

The idea of a hierarchy is to establish a system of organization. Rankings are a hierarchy. Rough measurement in a system breaks your system.

265 lbs behemoths are the future of HW division.

That Chael Sonnen is some clever wordsmith. I get embarrassed when I hear him trying to make clever one liners, he's almost as lame and cheesy as Mauro Renallo. When he drops the schtick he's much easier to listen to.

i'm pretty sure he rehearses all his material, i don't think he ad libs one liners really

The subjectivity that is required to make up the rankings suggests otherwise.

Because ... wtf does "better" even mean? And who's to say that's the criteria?

look back over the last few events at guys rankings before they fought. generally the higher ranked guy wins. its not magic, or even difficult to understand. past performance is a good indicator of future performance.

Wow, you didn't debunk shit then. Filho submitted Chael Sonnen, so I don't see where he gets off saying anything like that. Filho clearly had mental issues, watch the rematch with Sonnen. He was visibly insane in that fight.

easy there, don't be a shertard. TS was referring to Chael Sonnen saying 'Well I think a black belt from the Noguiera brothers is like getting a toy in my happy meal" to promote the first Silva fight.

look back over the last few events at guys rankings before they fought. generally the higher ranked guy wins. its not magic, or even difficult to understand. past performance is a good indicator of future performance.

Show me metrics and I'll believe you

The biggest one for me is that asian chicks don't have sideways vaginas.

3/3 I saw live were the normal way.

Back