What are the biggest myths that you debunked with your own eyes?

Lesnar's elite wrestling. Overeem stuffed them takedowns like a thanksgiving turkey.
That's because Lesnar is more of a power guy and doesn't have a very good single to switch off to, he loves the double leg but Overeem did a sterling job of switching to southpaw every time he was in Lesnar's takedown range-- this denied Lesnar his primitive yet effective double because a southpaw rear leg is generally too far away for one to easily pick up a double on (at least not without drawing the threat of Overeem's terrifying knees or his throttling guillotine choke).

Brock is an NCAA Champion. Not every NCAA champion is a technical wrestler, but they are all elite wrestlers.

Cain didn't stop Brock's takedowns as well as Overeem did-- is he not an elite wrestler by the same standard?

Thats true. And i think the bigger myth is that rankings don't matter.
They probably matter a lot to sponsors and things like that, in addition to card placement-- which, itself, can be correlated with rankings, in that it is generally more likely for a ranked fighter to be placed on the main card at the expense of an unranked fighter, and so forth.

That Jon Jones is not a dirty fighter.

Inb4 Jon's embarrassing crying video.

1. Overeem was 'dominating' Chuck before he gassed.
LOL, Chuck took him down and landed knees to his head. He was throwing his own punches during exchanges. And besides, that fight was like 3 minutes long! Who the hell gasses in 3 minutes?

2. Roy's loss to Arlovski was due to a BS standup.
NO. The standup occurred in R1, with about a minute left. Roy had two full rounds to go, and regardless, the fight would have started standing in R2, which is incidentally when Roy was completely gassed and Arlovski dropped him.

3. 90% of fighters use PED's!
Except for me and my teammates, of course; we're in the 10%.

That Phil Davis was in any way, shape, or form exciting or explosive. Most of his bouts consisted of him laying on people and generating very little offense.

They probably matter a lot to sponsors and things like that, in addition to card placement-- which, itself, can be correlated with rankings, in that it is generally more likely for a ranked fighter to be placed on the main card at the expense of an unranked fighter, and so forth.

The way they seem to build cards suggests they favor a fight with the potential to deliver "action" at a certain point in the card over rankings.

First fight, whether "main" prelims or main card (on paper anyway) will usually be an "exciting match up". Gotta open the card strong, right?

Headline fight of prelims will usually be an "exciting match up" so that in the event something cool/crazy/exciting happens, people will be motivated to see more and buy the PPV if they haven't already.

Has nothing to do with rankings. Eddie Wineland just fought for the title not too long ago but was the first fight on the "main" prelims. I think he was the first fight...

For me, it was Paulo Filho's "world class" BJJ. I actually bought the hype when he was in Pride. Years later and to quote Chael Sonnen, I knew it was a happy meal when I saw Dave Branch controlled him with ease.

What the hell? Really?

There's so much wrong with this it's insane.

A. Filho has not been the same fighter in years, he started out 15-0, over the last 4 years he's been very inconsistent and has clearly been declining. Obviously has mental and training issues.
B. Of those first 15 wins, one was a submission victory of Chael, so I'm not sure why his opinion matter here.
C. David Branch is a pretty solid grappler. He's a BJJ BB under Renzo.
D. Filho has proven his "world class" BJJ outside of MMA by placing multiple times in the BJJ World Championships.
E. Filho has proven his "world class" BJJ inside MMA by submitting:
Manhorf
Sonnen
Chonan
Misaki
Sakurai
Suloev
Shoji
F. Even after all this you're still not convinced his BJJ is or was "world class". I'm still not sure how this could be "biggest myth". People in MMA have had way bigger downfalls. Liddell was one of the best strikers, Hughes was one of the best wrestlers, Nog was one of the best BJJ guys, Fedor was unbeatable, Silva was unbeatable...all these guys went down eventually, not sure why Filho getting out grappled 6 years past his prime, would be the the "BIGGEST MYTH DEBUNKED" in your whole frickin life!

For me, it was Paulo Filho's "world class" BJJ. I actually bought the hype when he was in Pride. Years later and to quote Chael Sonnen, I knew it was a happy meal when I saw Dave Branch controlled him with ease.

Also, when I saw TUF China with all of those decisions on the card. I knew that Kung Fu was not effective in MMA. I say this because some of those Chinese said they are Kung Fu masters/practitioners or something along those lines. Many Chinese that I have interacted with told me Cain Velasquez is not the best in the world. It is actually some Shaolin master in the mountains of China. After TUF China, I can now say that Kung Fu is a joke in MMA.

What are yours?

Filho was great and he subbed Chael. Filho had substance abuse problems and became a headcase.

You wrong. 2013 Paulo is a drug addled mess.

Pre-2008 Filho was the man.

Also, when I saw TUF China with all of those decisions on the card. I knew that Kung Fu was not effective in MMA. I say this because some of those Chinese said they are Kung Fu masters/practitioners or something along those lines. Many Chinese that I have interacted with told me Cain Velasquez is not the best in the world. It is actually some Shaolin master in the mountains of China. After TUF China, I can now say that Kung Fu is a joke in MMA.

What are yours?

I have taken Karate and Kung Fu growing up. After having had real fights in school as well as having seen UFC 1, I knew Kung Fu is good for the movies but not for real fighting.

That an MMA fight can end in a no-contest due to both fighters getting knocked out at the same time.

(Somebody PLEASE post the gif)

That Anderson Silva could lose his rematch due to a broken leg and Sherdog thinks that legitimizes Chris Weidman. :icon_twis

I think it's a myth that you believe they matter

mythception. No i definitely believe they matter, they don't always accurately show who the best guys are but more often than not they are a good indication.

1. Overeem was 'dominating' Chuck before he gassed.
LOL, Chuck took him down and landed knees to his head. He was throwing his own punches during exchanges. And besides, that fight was like 3 minutes long! Who the hell gasses in 3 minutes?

2. Roy's loss to Arlovski was due to a BS standup.
NO. The standup occurred in R1, with about a minute left. Roy had two full rounds to go, and regardless, the fight would have started standing in R2, which is incidentally when Roy was completely gassed and Arlovski dropped him.

3. 90% of fighters use PED's!
Except for me and my teammates, of course; we're in the 10%.

3664528-5059441657-78793.gif

Back