What are the best Muay Thai camps in Thailand?

Turbolover

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking for a good Muay Thai camp. I would really like to head peoples opinions on some of the camps in Thailand. I would like to go this year for a month or two. Any ideas are welcome, I would like websites to the camps if at all possible too. The ideal school would be mainly ground based Jiu-Jitsu MMA, with Muay Thai stand up technique.

Thank you very much,

-Dan

post this in the grappling forum. I dont think you'll get much responses here

You post a request for a grappleing school in the K-1 forum???

I'm sorry. I did say MMA too though. It could be based mainly on stand up also. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

-Dan

This thread is no longer about MMA, or grappling. Just Muay Thai. I just want to hear peoples opinions of the Muay Thai camps in Thailand.

Thank you,

-Dan

This thread is no longer about MMA, or grappling. Just Muay Thai. I just want to hear peoples opinions of the Muay Thai camps in Thailand.

Thank you,

-Dan

fairtex google name ,there are 2 camps in thailand one on the outskirts of bangkok one in pattaya
if you want serious training with little distractions dont go to the one in pattaya
they have many good fighters and trainers

i was planning to go to buakaw's gym sometime this winter.
http://www.muaythaiporpramuk.com/index.php?action=traning&laung=en

i think they raised their rates recently, but i remember it being listed a lot cheaper.
anyways...the only thing is, my friend who lives in bkk says it's like a 8 hour bus ride from bangkok.
and from the sound of it, there isn't much else to do (which is probably a good thing for training).

Whats with the first two people thinking Muay Thai is grappling, wat are you guys smoking?!?

Well for the threadstarter some good camps are Fairtex, Sor Vorapin, or Sitjaipetch.

If you go to Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket you can find alot of gym's that are very welcoming to visitors.

Whats with the first two people thinking Muay Thai is grappling, wat are you guys smoking?!?

Well for the threadstarter some good camps are Fairtex, Sor Vorapin, or Sitjaipetch.

If you go to Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket you can find alot of gym's that are very welcoming to visitors.

I originally had this posted as a grappling/ MMA camp thread...

Fairtex is like the brand name of Muay Thai making it very expensive (though I'm sure it's more than worth it) so I'm probably going to go somewhere a bit cheaper... Anyone heard of Horizons camp? Sound pretty decent.

i was planning to go to buakaw's gym sometime this winter.
http://www.muaythaiporpramuk.com/index.php?action=traning&laung=en

i think they raised their rates recently, but i remember it being listed a lot cheaper.
anyways...the only thing is, my friend who lives in bkk says it's like a 8 hour bus ride from bangkok.
and from the sound of it, there isn't much else to do (which is probably a good thing for training).

wow thanks for that. I didnt know buakaw's gym allowed foreigners unless they were really good. I estimated the price of Buakaw's gym and it came out to $490 a month! thats if you choose the one month option. I used $1=44 bahts

wow thanks for that. I didnt know buakaw's gym allowed foreigners unless they were really good. I estimated the price of Buakaw's gym and it came out to $490 a month! thats if you choose the one month option. I used $1=44 bahts

sorry to be an ass but i think at best its $1 = 34 baht the baht is strong right now and the dollar isn't doing so good, Thailand is a lot more expensive for travelers coming from the usa at the moment

the baht is about 1usd/30tb

fartex is the most famous camp, expensive, in the middle of nowhere(outside bangkok) there are decent camps in phuket, more to do, beach diving etc.

Lanna and others in chiang mai might be a good option, you can try out which camp you like in a smaller city close to the mountains, but not the coast, the owner of lanna is a good guy

koh samui has the wmc camp, Paul Slowinski fought out of there, I could have fought him, but got injured while training in thailand(he would have won most likely)

you will get better training at all the camps if you make it clear you will fight for the camp while in thailand, their are many events and they like to see farang fight, if you are not intending to fight, the attention and training you get can vary and be very basic

maybe plan to travel and try various camps, buses and planes are cheap as are hotels, you will usually get a better deal if you get your pad when you arrive, if you book something on the net you will pay twice as much, go with friends, get a house it will be crazy cheap by the month, great food and medical care, super friendly people outside of bangkok, prostitutes calling after you in tourist areas $25 dollars all night, usually need to give her a ride home, make sure it's not a "lady-boy"

that's fairtex, also pattaya has some coastal training south of bangkok when you fly in stay in the khao san road area in bangkok, just be aware that you will be surrounded by tourists and cheap hotels $10-$20 and also the best con artists bangkok has to offer, again you will save money by waiting and getting a place when you get there, khoa san is right in the middle of bangkok and walking distance to one muay thai arena

Thank you very much for the great information! keep it coming I love to hear from people that have been there. I just want to hear the best things to do financially, and training wise thanks a lot everyone.

-Dan

i trained at Bangplee for a few months. Great place and less distractions than the one in Pattaya.

If you dont mind sharing a room, go to Kaewsamrit. I am one of Thonglor Armetsena's (he trained BPP for 2 years at Ingram Gym) students and he highly recommends it. Thats where I'll be going next year.

the baht is about 1usd/30tb

fartex is the most famous camp, expensive, in the middle of nowhere(outside bangkok) there are decent camps in phuket, more to do, beach diving etc.

Lanna and others in chiang mai might be a good option, you can try out which camp you like in a smaller city close to the mountains, but not the coast, the owner of lanna is a good guy

koh samui has the wmc camp, Paul Slowinski fought out of there, I could have fought him, but got injured while training in thailand(he would have won most likely)

you will get better training at all the camps if you make it clear you will fight for the camp while in thailand, their are many events and they like to see farang fight, if you are not intending to fight, the attention and training you get can vary and be very basic

maybe plan to travel and try various camps, buses and planes are cheap as are hotels, you will usually get a better deal if you get your pad when you arrive, if you book something on the net you will pay twice as much, go with friends, get a house it will be crazy cheap by the month, great food and medical care, super friendly people outside of bangkok, prostitutes calling after you in tourist areas $25 dollars all night, usually need to give her a ride home, make sure it's not a "lady-boy"

This guy has it right on the money! If you go to Phuket stay awat from Rawai Muay Thai. The feedback on their forum is missleading, sinbi mauay thai and tiger muay thai are decent gyms in Phuket. sinbi has also fought for K-1 khan a few times. If you dont mind going WAY out northeast to Isaan, you can go train at Legacy gym with K-1 max veteran, Ole Laursen. He owns the gym and you get one on one with him personally.

Been to Fairtex Pattaya....
Beautiful gym....Pattaya is a party place so if you think you will be drawn to that then you may want to go the Fairtex Bangkok...Both are pretty expensive....Worth it especially if you're only staying a short time....

Haven't been to Legacy....Heard it was just OK....Not special....

Kaewsamrit it supposed to be really good....As well WMC gym on Koh Samui....Por Pramuk gym works you hard as well....

Ingram gym is really good...

The gyms in Phuket from what I heard were average at best.....

Avoid Lanna gym in Chang Mai...Its a tourist gym...
There is a really good gym outside of Chiang Mai (4 hours drive)....Called TruBee Gym....Small but great trainers located in Pi...Beautiful locale

Back