What are the Basic Open Guard Submissions?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SummerStriker, Dec 30, 2014.

1. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

There are certain submissions that I think really influence BJJ.

The threat of the RNC keeps people from giving up their back and influences behavior in turtle.

The threat of the Armbar from Mount and KOB affects posture. The threat of collar chokes affects gripping priority.

The threat of a Triangle choke is the major influence in how the closed guard is passed.

The threat of the Kimura keeps the top man from putting his hands on the mat in closed guard.

The threat of the Darce choke and the Kimura against a player in bottom half guard has a major impact on the bottom man's behavior.

So what are they from open guard? Are there submissions you think have a huge influence on how you behave from there? You have the Guillotine, which affects posture and head position on take downs.

I feel like the ability to get into a Triangle from spider guard could be a game changer for me. I don't do it much but I'd like to.

You have the threat of foot locks against someone who is lazy in their open guard, and you have knee reaping in some contests which can be a big problem for someone standing.

Is there anything else?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I recognize that this is a difficult open ended question. To put it more bluntly, what do you think are the most important open guard submissions? Right now I'd guess:

Cross Collar from Butterfly
    Heel Hook from the Sweep
    Triangle from Spider Guard
    Loop Choke from Butterfly looks promising, but I don't know if it qualifies as bread and butter.

3. Leify

Leify Ebb and Flow

I think sweeps define passing the open guard more than submissions, but the omoplata is pretty consistently available from open guards in the gi. It's definitely one of the submissions I watch out for most when passing in the gi.

4. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

I'm sure you are right. I'd just like to identify a couple.

Like if I'm sitting in front of someone and neither of us have grips, I can take the initiative and grip their collar for a loop choke. If I can combine that with any form of posture breaking, by pushing their knee or pulling their head, they will have to counter with posture to such a degree that I will be able to stand up easily.

That said, the threat of the collar grab has a huge impact on butterfly guard, so that by threatening it they have to respond.

5. Gojujutsu

Gojujutsu Orange Belt

Cross collar from butterfly is a good one and I also think omoplatas pop up often in open guard. I look to sweep or stand up more though.

6. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

Far side armbar from knee shield/open half.

7. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

Why is this so important?

8. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Just look to sweep and get on top or take the back. If you catch a submission during that process then that's great, but priority one from open guard is to sweep or take the back.

9. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

My thoughts exactly.
    Why is it important?
    1) Enhances guard retention by working good hip movement; and
    2) Gives you access to all the kimura grip positions from bottom, plus sweep options.

10. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

If you watch elite level guard players in no gi today, it's possibly the highest percentage upper body sub entry from bottom, and one of the most commonly used attacks from open guard. It's useful because open half guard variants are useful (especially in no gi), and when you play such a guard, the opponent will almost invariably expose that far arm a lot, as he tries to push your knee down or reach for your head/wrist in order to advance his position.

It doesn't have to result in an actual armlock either, although it's a very effective one. It takes you into the Kimura series, the tornado guard (most of Cyborg's no gi tornado sweeps start as this armlock attack), omoplata/triangle, back climbs etc.

EDIT: As far as how it affects the top guy's game, it teaches him to be weary of opening his elbow or leaving his palm down, as well as where to keep his head in relation to your outside leg. It just makes passing the open half guard a lot more dangerous.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  11. lonewolf210

lonewolf210 Orange Belt

The loop choke is one of my primary attacks from butterfly. It really makes people think twice about driving into you to get you flat.

12. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    The primary threats of open guard I'm aware of, in no gi, are:

Scissor Sweep
    Triangle Choke
    Arm Drag
    Guillotine
    Hip Bump Triangle / Hip Bump Kimura / Hip Bump Sweep
    Kimura or Kimura to back take

13. Allan san

Allan san Green Belt

The sweeps really affect the way I pass open guard. I try not to let the tricky guys underneath me. Between them getting into position for X-guard or a sit-up DLR, I adjust my legs a certain way.

14. Grassshoppa

Grassshoppa Purple Belt

I'd like to learn this. Link to a video?

15. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

For the armlock, you wouldn't need to switch to the Kimura grip, just stay facing the legs and pinch your knees while you pull back. If you go to the Mendes bros. website, you'll see Rafa tap Galv

16. masada555

masada555 Orange Belt

It's also great because just in case your opponent passes your hips, you're already controlling the cross-facing arm which is a huge part of preventing them from controlling your upper body.

17. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

trick question, the biggest submission threats here are leg lock entries.