What are the basic foods allowed on Berardi's Precision Nutrition?

penguinsfan

White Belt
Reaction score
I read a little about Precision Nutrition yesterday. I know John Berardi gets lots of praise on this site. However, I fear from what I see people eating that this diet may be little more than another low carb diet repackaged. I can't do low carb diets.

The bulk of my calories now are from brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and lean chicken or beef. While I can, and probably should, tweak some other parts of my diet, but I don't think I can abandon the forementioned staple foods.

I just want to make sure my carbs will not be limited to fructose and the trace amounts of carbs found in green vegetables.

Again, I'm just asking because I really can't afford to drop $100 on a nutritional program that my apparent medical issues will not allow me to follow.

What is your medical condition?

You can eat carbs,it's more of a timing issue.

what are you talking about? Berardi is all about carb timing not carb restriction. His obsession with chickpeas is the stuff of legend

You generally end up with 30% carbs by following the PN lifestyle, sometimes upwards of 40-50% depending on your training volume and frequency.

I just want to make sure my carbs will not be limited to fructose and the trace amounts of carbs found in green vegetables.

I think there are more than just a "trace amount" of carbs in green vegetables.

What is your medical condition?

You can eat carbs,it's more of a timing issue.

I seemingly have some gastrointestinal distress when I cut out carbs. During my last couple attempts at the South Beach Diet, the diarrhea was barely controllable at all and was probably worse than the two days of food poisoning I had in New Orleans last year. I could never live like that. At least if I were 350 pounds, I could make it to my job, but if I had to live with the low carb diet symptoms all the time, I'd have to go on medical disability.

With PN it depends on your carb tolerance and timing. You can eat pretty much what you want but non fruit and vegetable carbs should be restricted to post workout unless you are fairly tolerant of carbs (then oats in the morning would be acceptable as well)

Back