what are JJs chances to beat both Gus/DC?

Jones may never fight DC. Jones is fighting Gus next. Is DC really going to put himself on the shelf and wait? Dana might punish him for that if he tries. I think DC could lose to someone like Evans while waiting for a chance against Jones to open up.

As for Gus, I think Jones will fight much like GSP used to in rematches. Jones, like GSP, has a very high fighter IQ, and so I believe he will do much better against Gus next time around. I give him 80% chance of winning a rematch.

As for DC, no one creates and maintains space as well as Jones. DC will have to get to him first. And as we saw against Glover, Jones is able to punish his opponent with a ridiculous variety of techniques from close range and in the clinch in the blink of an eye. Jones is one of the smartest most creative and unpredictable fighters around, which is why predicting how his fights will go can be an act of futility. Who thought he would CHOOSE to fight Teixeira in a phone booth AND thoroughly dominate him? If you told someone that Jones intended to stand toe to toe with Glover and exchange, they would have predicted an easy KO by Glover. It is easy to say (and believe, apparently) that DC will just walk up, grab Jon and throw him on the ground and somehow win the fight by laying on top of a helpless Jones. But reality is far more complicated than that.

The only possible place DC has a chance to win this fight is on the ground. But even on the ground Jones is very dangerous and capable of sweeps, reversals, subs and strikes. And keep in mind that Jon has been taken down just once in his entire career.

Outside of wrestling, Jones is better than DC everywhere, not just in terms of physical skills and abilities, but in fight management/control and adjustments, etc. And let's not forget that Jon himself is a very good MMA wrestler, which means he is skilled enough to realize what DC is doing in terms of positioning and setting up throws and take-downs, as well as understanding how to avoid certain things that give DC opportunities for his wrestling. So I wouldn't dismiss Jones' own wrestling abilities and knowledge.

Bottom line is that you have one man who is world-class superior in a single discipline, and that's about it. Then you have another man who has good skill and understanding of his opponent's strength, but who also has a truckload of skills, speed, cardio, IQ, enormous size advantage, excellent chin, is extremely versatile and dangerous from anywhere, unpredictable, mentally tough and dialed-in, and a history of virtually unprecedented dominance over a long list of legends.

I think the odds favor the fighter with the clearly superior diversity and elite skill across the board rather than the fighter who is dominant in essentially one area.

His chances are slimmer than his legs.

I give him 70% against Gus
60% against Cormier

65% chance of beating Gus
25% chance of beating Cormier
16.25% chance of beating both
40% chance of permanently blinding one of them with an eye poke
100% chance of looking like a douche

Like 25% of beating both

Jones is an animal of his own kind..
But those two in a row are gonna be a formidable obstacle to overcome...

85% chance he loses to Gus again in the rematch.

90% chance he loses to Cormier.

Better chance at beating Gus, in my opinion. Maybe 60/40 over Gus for me, and just the opposite against Cormier at 40/60.

Lets not get over excited about dc's wrestling. Let's remember, rampage jackson out wrestled Henderson. That's right, rampage 'I can't wrestle to save my life" jackson. Jake Shields out wrestled henderson for 4 rounds. Fact is, henderson has average to below average mma wrestling. Anyone who think dc will rag doll jones like that is delusional.

Rampage was a great wrestler back in the day, and that's what he was doing before MMA. He is one of the only guys to take down Chuck and keep him there.

2cgeupu_jpg.gif

Besides, Henderson had 3 takedowns in that fight and Rampage had 2, and Henderson was doing well in other areas of the grappling. Dan has shown great wrestling in MMA over the course of his 40+ fights. Watch them.

Not sure on % but if he can he not only has my respect, which i do anyway, but I may even become a fan of his, which I am not.

Alex beats Jon.

Then Corm beats Jon while Johnson gets a title fight with Alex.

DC has never faced ANYONE with the striking, wrestling, and agility Bones has. People are giving DC a chance beyond what would be rational. Dan Henderson is not a gate keeper for the title. If DC had faced Rashad and done the same thing he did to Hendo then I'd be a little closer to believing. Fighting that scrub and then Hendo means absolutely nothing and if he thinks that's going to prepare him for a match against a younger and more powerful opponent he's out of his mind.

I'd say 70% he beats Gus- he will come much more prepared
50/50 with D C.

Lets not get over excited about dc's wrestling. Let's remember, rampage jackson out wrestled Henderson. That's right, rampage 'I can't wrestle to save my life" jackson. Jake Shields out wrestled henderson for 4 rounds. Fact is, henderson has average to below average mma wrestling. Anyone who think dc will rag doll jones like that is delusional.

Oook so what about ragdolling Josh Barnett ?

Bones is gonna get thrown. Not just taken down - thrown.

Back