1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

What are good mma sparring gloves?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by jimmy1, Oct 26, 2010.

1. jimmy1

jimmy1 VETERANCHAMP

i've been kickboxing for a loooooong time but now I wanna start mma, Im looking for mma gloves, which should I get ? I like sparring with them, so what do you think?

2. santaana1

santaana1 White Belt

For the past 15 months I've been trading off between 2 pairs of Twins Special GGL-5s. They're 5 ounce, open palm, thumbless. While I've let the insides become pretty gross, the exterior leather is as supple as when I got them. The padding has held up very well. The velcro has seen better days, although it still holds shut.

Considering how many people use Twins' boxing gloves (BGVL-3, etc.), I have to wonder why their grappling gloves don't seem as popular. They're of the same material and build quality.

3. mikiemike87

mikiemike87 Blue Belt

The best value mma sparring glove would be cagesides imo. If you sign up for their newsletter every now and then there will be a good sale. I got mine at 25% off. Law Bob really recommends Aries MMA gloves if you want to give them a try to.

4. MMAGearZone

MMAGearZone White Belt

hayabusa makes one of the better mma gloves in the business.

i am also very partial to the Kimura ones as well. i like the double closure and how tight it fits. i have big hands so most gloves are either too big or too small. theirs seem to fit just right on for me

5. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Primetime MMA has the best quality materials put into their glove. The padding is dense, and I'm not yet sure how that'll break down in the coming months. It's bound to soften up, so I cast my vote for Primetime and Aries Pro MMA gloves have the best padding thus far.

6. jimmy1

jimmy1 VETERANCHAMP

So we have 10 different pple post here and 10 different opinions.

Let me refrase: which gloves are best for hard sparring and have the same padding like >8oz boxing gloves.

How is padding on mma gloves ?

I have seen a few "hybrid"gloves, they have padding like boxing gloves and the inside fingers like mma gloves, are they any good? Why?/Why not?

7. mikiemike87

mikiemike87 Blue Belt

I have never done any hard sparring with my mma safety gloves. The most we do is 25% at our gym. So my opinion might not be the best, but I do own the the hayabusas and the cagesides. The cagesides are comparable if not better than the hayabusas in my opinion. The padding seems more forgiving, and the fit is a tad comfier. With that said I wouldn't buy the Hayabusa's at retail just because I'm frugal like that. The only reason why I have them was because I was won of the lucky 5 to win fighttrends giveaway =D! The Hayabusas's are 30 dollars more, and if you're lucky sometimes the Cagesides can go for 25% off.

I have no experience with the other brands, but they all have solid rep. Maybe try doing a search for reviews.