What Are Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Gyms Really Selling

They SHOULD be selling top quality of the instruction of an art.

It takes many years for someone to be qualified to teach, and to reach the black belt level.
In comparison to many other martial arts, qualified BJJ instructors number far fewer. So for this reason, BJJ instruction is more expensive than most other arts.

In terms of whether someone wants to be part of a huge corporate style gym of international repute, or a smaller more humble gym with personal attention from the head instructor, that's a matter of personal preference. If offering top quality, both command a premium.

They SHOULD be selling top quality of the instruction of an art.

It takes many years for someone to be qualified to teach, and to reach the black belt level.
In comparison to many other martial arts, qualified BJJ instructors number far fewer. So for this reason, BJJ instruction is more expensive than most other arts.

In terms of whether someone wants to be part of a huge corporate style gym of international repute, or a smaller more humble gym with personal attention from the head instructor, that's a matter of personal preference. If offering top quality, both command a premium.

Very well-rounded, complete and sensible response. +1.

It's not what they are selling; it's what are you buying?

1. Ground literacy for worst case scenarios in street fights or self defense (many law enforcement officers and women are in BJJ classes for this reason).
2. An aspect of overall MMA instruction (that's why I started, and it's still how I filter my game).
3. An incredibly intricate and technical individual sport, which gi-jiu-jitsu is.
4. A full contact, fast paced individual sport that puts equal emphasis on technique, athleticism, and conditioning, which no- gi jiu-jitsu is.
5. Comradeship.
6. A great workout.
7. Ego satisfaction through rank promotion (traditional MMA mindset).
8. A chance to get in the "zone" or "flow" state on a regular basis.
9. A sense of confidence in one's body.
10. Understanding of what the heck is going on when the UFC fighters are "laying on each other."
11. A feeling of being a tough guy or bad ass.

As your article implied, most BJJ schools sell some combination of these. It is definitely a mistake to think "legitimate jiu-jitsu" is limited to only numbers 4 & 5. A relatively small % of the overall BJJ population really knows or cares what's going on at the highest levels of BJJ competition or has any desire to be there themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
215744_109408245811502_100002269809374_93503_6682504_n.jpg

Renato does NOT approve of this thread.

Also, wouldn't depend on what the consumer is looking for? If you are targeting regular folk then you can add family friendly stuff and maybe even some type of bootcamp stuff (not saying I like that).

Also, the class schedule should be considered as well. I enjoy early morning classes and lunch time classes. I will do evenings when I need to but those types gel with my lifestyle right now.

I think it is a good article for people to consider when trying to sell their product. It made me think about this type of thing even though I am not even close to being a gym owner.

Hypothetically, if I were a gym owner and asked by another gym owner about what I'm selling that's so different from his gym it'd probably go a little like this.

Drew - So Jay, what's so different about what you're selling and what I'm selling when we both have the same local black belt that warrants you more business?

Me - Well Drew, funny you should ask that. Me-me-me-meeee! Sorry clearing my vocal chords.

Both - (laugh together)

Me - See, while you're merely selling BJJ to these guys and gals as a means of protection, an intro to mma, or just a fun hobby for the kids I'm selling more with the same product. For the children, I'm selling to their parents with education and bullying on their mind. BJJ allows these kids to learn a martial art designed for self defense so they can defend themselves, teaches cognitive thinking for the schoolwork, and the self confidence to carry themselves through the day with their head held high.

Drew - Well, what about the adults? Surely they're not drawn to the same things.

Me - Of course they are Drew. We all could use some self defense training, more cognitive thinking for the office, and that boost to confidence when you've gotta regional visit from the big wigs. But also beyond that it depends on the person. If they look a bit on the unhealthy side I could mention the health benefits of BJJ. Weight loss, healthier lifestyle, body coordination. If they're already fit then the mention of glory is there to mention. Now I won't promise that within six months they'll be gold medalist, but the athletic person is bound to be competitive by nature, so play off that and mention the competitions where they can showcase skills, impress ladies(or gents) as a joke (but it'll stick in their head), and a place to let go of all those pent up competitive urges.

Drew - Well damn Jay, did you go to a Lloyd Irvin seminar to learn all this? You're basically raping my mind because I feel seriously mind fucked at your approach. (Too soon?)

Me - No Drew, it's merely knowing what and how to sell to people. BJJ can be sold to anyone because it offers so much and can be tailored to anyone's needs.

That's about how it would go. And I don't know any Drews, but I heard someone mention Drew Brees while waiting for my food at Denny's

A service where the provider expect total loyalty and where paying customers are expected to help each other and call each other team mates.

A service where the provider expect total loyalty and where paying customers are expected to help each other and call each other team mates.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. :p

Very interesting read. The reasons to join a gym are very personal for each individual. The beauty of jiu jitsu is that there is room for all sorts of practitioners. Some are motivated by competition, others self-defense. Some simply want to make friends and get in shape. Some are interested in mixed martial arts. I feel we're lucky to have a lot of different training options. With enough research, an individual is sure to find a program that suits their needs.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. :p

Where else would find a service provider that would claim to have spend time and effort training someone when it is actually their job?
Team mate met a Brazilian guy at his work. He proudly announced that he trained bjj. The dude just replied "back home, people making a living of bjj are either gang affiliated or too lazy to get a job". Lmfao

It's not what they are selling; it's what are you buying?

1. Ground literacy for worst case scenarios in street fights or self defense (many law enforcement officers and women are in BJJ classes for this reason).
2. An aspect of overall MMA instruction (that's why I started, and it's still how I filter my game).
3. An incredibly intricate and technical individual sport, which gi-jiu-jitsu is.
4. A full contact, fast paced individual sport that puts equal emphasis on technique, athleticism, and conditioning, which no- gi jiu-jitsu is.
5. Comradeship.
6. A great workout.
7. Ego satisfaction through rank promotion (traditional MMA mindset).
8. A chance to get in the "zone" or "flow" state on a regular basis.
9. A sense of confidence in one's body.
10. Understanding of what the heck is going on when the UFC fighters are "laying on each other."
11. A feeling of being a tough guy or bad ass.

As your article implied, most BJJ schools sell some combination of these. It is definitely a mistake to think "legitimate jiu-jitsu" is limited to only numbers 4 & 5. A relatively small % of the overall BJJ population really knows or cares what's going on at the highest levels of BJJ competition or has any desire to be there themselves.

Excellent description. There are a lot of components that make up the whole experience of BJJ, and people train for the sake of whichever of those components they happen to like.

Last week, I bought carpet padding. Now, there were LOTS of bullet points describing the benefits of each type of padding. But I didn't buy ANY of those bullet points. I bought carpet padding. WHY I bought it was entirely incidental. In fact, I didn't buy it for ANY of the reasons listed. I got it as an under layer for my mats.

So, to answer the original question: I think BJJ gyms sell BJJ; what people actually get out of it really depends on what they want to do with it.

Also, gis and shirts, sometimes. :p

Hypothetically, if I were a gym owner and asked by another gym owner about what I'm selling that's so different from his gym it'd probably go a little like this.

Drew - So Jay, what's so different about what you're selling and what I'm selling when we both have the same local black belt that warrants you more business?

Me - Well Drew, funny you should ask that. Me-me-me-meeee! Sorry clearing my vocal chords.

Both - (laugh together)

Me - See, while you're merely selling BJJ to these guys and gals as a means of protection, an intro to mma, or just a fun hobby for the kids I'm selling more with the same product. For the children, I'm selling to their parents with education and bullying on their mind. BJJ allows these kids to learn a martial art designed for self defense so they can defend themselves, teaches cognitive thinking for the schoolwork, and the self confidence to carry themselves through the day with their head held high.

Drew - Well, what about the adults? Surely they're not drawn to the same things.

Me - Of course they are Drew. We all could use some self defense training, more cognitive thinking for the office, and that boost to confidence when you've gotta regional visit from the big wigs. But also beyond that it depends on the person. If they look a bit on the unhealthy side I could mention the health benefits of BJJ. Weight loss, healthier lifestyle, body coordination. If they're already fit then the mention of glory is there to mention. Now I won't promise that within six months they'll be gold medalist, but the athletic person is bound to be competitive by nature, so play off that and mention the competitions where they can showcase skills, impress ladies(or gents) as a joke (but it'll stick in their head), and a place to let go of all those pent up competitive urges.

Drew - Well damn Jay, did you go to a Lloyd Irvin seminar to learn all this? You're basically raping my mind because I feel seriously mind fucked at your approach. (Too soon?)

Me - No Drew, it's merely knowing what and how to sell to people. BJJ can be sold to anyone because it offers so much and can be tailored to anyone's needs.

That's about how it would go. And I don't know any Drews, but I heard someone mention Drew Brees while waiting for my food at Denny's
This is good work. I enjoyed it.

Back