What annoys you the most ...

When new guys try to choke me or keylock me within my own guard...

I hate when people train with hair gel in there hair. Nothing worse than having greasy smelly hair gel start dripping on your face as you roll. C'mon guys jiu jitsu is not a beauty contest, nobody cares how your hair looks

some lower belt coaching the person I am rolling with.

My instructor and I were talking about this the other day.

So many people on the bus should just be happy to sit back, keep quiet, and enjoy the ride. Instead, they seem dead set on trying to tell the driver which way to turn or tell all the people who've been on the bus longer where to sit, etc.

When people have been rolling for at least 6 months yet still spaz and go crazy causing others to get injured....

When new guys try to choke me or keylock me within my own guard...

Then you tell them to go for position instead of submission, but they ignore you and just continue to try more subs from guard

Rolling with high school kids, the majority of high school kids I have rolled with have really shitty attitudes and for some reason think it is okay to do moves they have only seen on TV.

Hmmmm lets see I should have a list of these things by now:
1. Smelly anything.
2. Grinding your forearms into my face; this isn't competition and I don't want gi burns on my face the whole time (good cross facing is fine by me)
3. Using elbows to break closed guard; maybe it works on those who can't or don't want to tolerate a bit of pain, but it never works on those who simply don't want to open
4. Skin diseases - can't stand that shit
5. Cranking on "potential" submissions with intent to scare the person into tapping
6. Cranking on actual submissions with intent to scare the person into tapping
7. Small joint manipulation

I have others but those are the first ones that come to mind

I agree with all of these.

Rolling with high school kids, the majority of high school kids I have rolled with have really shitty attitudes and for some reason think it is okay to do moves they have only seen on TV.

A guy with a tapout tattoo came into my gym once :icon_chee The only sub he would try for was a guillotine.

cats who haven't been training that long and have a know it all attitude when you're just trying to tell them things they don't know. I have found that, when encountering these guys... just let them do whatever they THINK is right and keep drilling the correct way.

What no, I'm a sophomore right now and all I do in sparring is just control, and if I see moves like Kimuras/americanas/armbars etc. I'll get them (I've only been doing this for 2-3 months).. but I know what your talking about.

But maybe thats because i'm asian :D

People who have been trainning a lot less longer then me correcting me all the time...

Guys at the gym with no personality. I remember I said hi to this meat head like 10 times (just trying to be nice). The guy never responded once.

Guys who duck others because of their belt and no other reason. I don't do it and I don't like it done to me.

People who, in a roll that's supposed to start on the knees, instantly stand up, before either of you have taken grips or anything.

I mean, standing up's a good idea in a fight if you can, but we're supposed to be starting from knees. If you stand up straight away (without any contact on me etc), then I should probably stand up too, and then we're not starting from knees any more. Which I don't really mind, but that's what we were told to do.

Today I slapped hands with one guy as we were standing before we sat down, sat down into a butterfly position expecting him to sit down too so we could start, and instead of doing so he simply walked over my legs from standing and started from there. I mean... we start from the knees. We hadn't started yet.

Also people who always pull guard at the start of a roll. You start a roll, they pull guard. Someone taps, you start again, they sit back for guard again. And again. The next time, you decide to sit back for guard, and even when it's obvious that you want to start on bottom, they STILL sit back for guard, forcing you to give in and take top position again or continue the embarrassing spectacle of two guys trying to pull guard on each other...

Last edited:
Back