What age to start kids in JiuJitsu?

For those of you who are recommending Judo before BJJ, why?

One of the instructors suggested gymnastics first for "body awareness." I dont know about that. I think these things are skill specific. If the goal is self defense, a year of gymnastics cant possibly be more useful than that same year spent in BJJ or some other martial art, could it?
Maybe as a form of bodyweight strength training, I guess.

For those of you who are recommending Judo before BJJ, why?

One of the instructors suggested gymnastics first for "body awareness." I dont know about that. I think these things are skill specific. If the goal is self defense, a year of gymnastics cant possibly be more useful than that same year spent in BJJ or some other martial art, could it?
Maybe as a form of bodyweight strength training, I guess.

Falls

Falls

Falls

Also falls.

And falling.

Judo saved me from serious injuries countless times off the mat between the ages of 10 and 25 when I was skating, biking, jumping off of stuff, etc.

Youth Judo spends A LOT of time on ukemi, far more than I've ever seen from BJJ at any age range. The end result is being able to fall well and minimize damage from falls.

Oftentimes adults in BJJ who don't have a Judo or Wrestling background can't even take being thrown on soft mats.

And last but not least, the main advantage of training gymnastics prior to BJJ other than having some strength and conditioning is learning tumbling (falls!). So if you want that to be more BJJ applicable, Judo is a thing.

Last edited:
Back