What age did you start?

I started wrestling at 5, started bjj at 19. I know a few guys that started around 40 and turned out being pretty phenomenal grapplers. Any age is good.

Start when you can. I started at age 18, I'm 19 years old. I don't know if I would have liked to start earlier, although I've been curious about jiu jitsu since I was 16. I think that, if I started in my early teens or as a child, I could have ended up quitting. I loved soccer as a kid, but left due to a bunch of dumb reasons and lack of willpower. By starting now, I think I can "tough it out" and I'm not terrified of pain and setbacks anymore. As dad says to me, "what has to be, already is". Do what you can.

I started when I was 22 even tho that is kind of a young age to start I wish I started sooner.

I started No-Gi when I was 15 with wrestling experience and I started Gi when I was 16. I turned 17 recently and train at least 5 times a week!

Started at 19 and I'm 20 now. To answer your original question you are never to young to start.

I'm with you on the whole wishing you would have wrestled, that is my single biggest regret of highschool...

Lol actually I did wrestle in high school starting my sophomore year. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though i wasn't all that good, but I think it gave me a leg up in Jiu-jitsu. I wasn't all the good but honestly I was looking forward to BJJ after high school.

21. Should have started that as well as Judo earlier.

It's one of those things that my mom wanted me to do Judo when I was like 12... and I didn't want to. I hate not listening to my parents.

Taekwondo- 11
Judo- 16? (Not sure exactly when in my sophomore year of HS I started...)

Did Judo as a kid until i was like 11 but started training Judo properly when I was 19ish. Started BJJ when i was 22. I wish I had started BJJ when I was 16. Good for you dude.

I wish I would have started at your age as I didn't start until I was 30 but I will say that with my wrestling background I have no problem rolling with guys that have done it for years unlike most guys that start at my age because we don't soak it up as easily as you most likely will from what I've seen.

I started with 17 in 2006.

There is a dude in my class who started with 11 in 2005. He's 16 now, 4 stripe blue belt, and owns older guy and heavier guys including myself.

I think when you start early you'll have it much more easy to learn all the movements and stuff. I wish I had started earlier, but now it's too late.

26. I wish I'd started at 16, I'd be a certified killer by now :icon_chee

Started at 19 and I'm 20 now. To answer your original question you are never to young to start.

I'm with you on the whole wishing you would have wrestled, that is my single biggest regret of highschool...

Lol actually I did wrestle in high school starting my sophomore year. I thoroughly enjoyed it even though i wasn't all that good, but I think it gave me a leg up in Jiu-jitsu. I wasn't all the good but honestly I was looking forward to BJJ after high school.

You are certainly at a good age to start BJJ, my brother started his son at 9 he is now 10. I also suggest you take up wrestling since you are in HS. Not doing so is a big regret of many guys on this very forum. The takedown game and the position, control and balance lend it self very well to BJJ.
Also (unless you become hooked) wrestling is just 3 months per year or so. Late November through January, sometimes early February if you qualify for regional and state tournaments.

You can do both and be twice as beastly!

I started when I was 22. I'm 37 now. When I started the only instructors in town were blue belts.

It's great that you have the opportunity to start at a young age. Find a good instructor and stick with it.

Back