What age did you start?

CHStyles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey I'm thinking of starting BJJ at Matt Santos BJJ here in Rhode Island. Is 16 a good age to start? And does anyone know if that is a good school?

16 is a great age to start, most people start at much older. I started at 19.

I started at 19 yr old.

I look at all the little guys in the kids class and wish I started at 5 yrs old haha.

I didn't start until I was 31. I wish I knew about jiu-jitsu back when I was 16. Hope the gym in RI works out for you.

Started at 31. You are never too young or old to start.

26, planning on doing it for the rest of my life! :icon_chee

28. and i wish it was sooner.

after my very first comp (went 2-1 in nogi, 1-1 in gi) my mother asked, "do you think you would have done better if you started earlier?". well, yeah!

but better late than never

At 33, my wife was bothering me about getting into shape since we have 2 kids. I hated going to the gym and running on the treadmill, lifting weights...Soooooooooooo boring........ I picked BJJ because it was right around the corner from my house. But now, I realize it's the best move I made in my life. I will be joining my 2 kids when they get of age for sure !

i got interested in MMA when I was 21. during that time, i lived 10 minutes away from rey diogo's school but didn't know who he was, and was too lazy to make the trip to his school and take his classes. at 22 i moved, and signed up at a new gym and only took classes sporadically. i didn't start taking classes seriously until i was 24 and had started working.

i kick myself everyday for not having gone to rey's school when i had the chance, and not having gone to class consistently while i was in college and had more free time.

start right away. once you fall in love with the art, you will immediately feel regret at not having started sooner, like others here have expressed.

18, now I'm 19 and I'm loving it! The only thing I can recommend doing instead is wrestling while you're still in high school. It's free and there's no better way to learn takedowns and gets you used to grappling competition. Obviously it's best to do both if you can but if your school has a decent wrestling program I do that while you can and do BJJ off season or on weekends during the season. They mesh well and every BJJ guy I know wishes they would have wrestled in high school.

Idk if anybody else shares my sentiments.

i started a month before i turned 15.
my only regret is that i wasnt serious enough for the first year.
that said, it was and is still mostly about the fun.

I started a month before I turned 21, I tried a little muay thai and some krav maga but my cousin pestered me into trying bjj out and it stuck really, really fast. Just like many others, I wish i started much earlier and am trying to catch up for time lost.

man i started when i was 26...wished i had done it at 18 or 19, but you know what? MY KIDS will start when they're 9 ;)

Started at 19 and I'm 20 now. To answer your original question you are never to young to start.

18, now I'm 19 and I'm loving it! The only thing I can recommend doing instead is wrestling while you're still in high school. It's free and there's no better way to learn takedowns and gets you used to grappling competition. Obviously it's best to do both if you can but if your school has a decent wrestling program I do that while you can and do BJJ off season or on weekends during the season. They mesh well and every BJJ guy I know wishes they would have wrestled in high school.

Idk if anybody else shares my sentiments.

I'm with you on the whole wishing you would have wrestled, that is my single biggest regret of highschool...

Back