What about today would most impress a person from 150 years ago?

I think the people who spent months on end on stagecoaches travelling from one side of the country to the other would be impressed with airplanes. You can accomplish in a few hours what took them months to do.

I highly doubt that some rancher in Texas in 1870 could give a rats ass about Twitter.

Black president would certainly be surprising.

Pull up HD pron on a smartphone and stream it to their Google Glass while on a space shuttle

i think the rancher, if literate, would be impressed by wikipedia

I think people answering with technology are presuming they'd give a fuck in the first place.

If you plucked someone out of the 1880's and dropped them into our world for 15 minutes, I highly doubt they think twice about all of the complex technological marvels that we have, and are immediately more impressed with things of social and/or cultural relevance to them.

Space travel, woman's rights, advancement of medicines, sanitation, food preservation, black presidents, gay marriage, etc. These are the things that would make the most immediate and powerful impression on them, in my opinion.

It would take time for them to come to appreciate/understand our tech.

Good points.

i think the rancher, if literate, would be impressed by wikipedia

They had encyclopedias in the 1800's dude. The rancher would more than likely be frustrated with his own lack of computer savvy to even bother fucking around with wikipedia, when he could just open a book.

I think an airplane would be absolutely mind boggling to someone from 1864.

I seriously doubt that.

Well when people travel from third world countries, the technology isn't what baffles them. It's the culture that is most jarring. That's why the term "culture shock" exists and "technology shock" doesn't.

Technology is rarely incomprehensible, as you can always make comparisons. "A 'smartphone' you say? By golly...it's like a phonograph, telegram, camera and town map all rolled into one thing."

Compare that to: "A colored president, you say? A colored man is the president? A COLORED PRESIDENT!?!" *Faints*

They had encyclopedias in the 1800's dude. The rancher would more than likely be frustrated with his own lack of computer savvy to even bother fucking around with wikipedia, when he could just open a book.

i can basically answer any question this guy would have in seconds. obviously you would have to show it to him DUDE

Think about it objectively. How impressed are the Amish with our technologies?

Amish people drive cars and sell cocaine
Way different than someone who just magically appeared here from 150 years ago

Odds are this person would be deeply religious so he probably wouldn't have a bunch of deep questions, he thinks he already knows.

i can basically answer any question this guy would have in seconds. obviously you would have to show it to him DUDE

Have you ever tried to show an old person how to look something up on the internet? :icon_neut

They wouldn't give a fuck about wiki.

Back