What about Matt "the Immortal" Brown (19-11) vs. Thiago "the Pitbull" Alves (20-9)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
Well, if you've been following this sport, you would know that's not always the case.

I'd also prefer so, but this division has dramatically changed over the last year. When you have someone on a 7 fight win streak, taking out everyone, and the division is shook up just enough for there really to be no controversy? I'd say pull the trigger. Matt Brown has been around paying his dues for a long, long time.

He's beaten some really, really good competition regardless of where they actually ranked.

Let's check out the top 5 over their last 7....

Robbie Lawler - He's only fought at WW in his last 4 fights and is 3-1...I personally think Lawler should be getting an immediate rematch but that's not happening. 1 top 10 win.

Rory Mac - 6-1....1 top 10 win.

Tyron Woodley - 5-2 - Includes a split to Tim Means. His top 10 win over Condit obviously came with a bit of an *.

Carlos Condit....Injured.

Jake Ellenberger - 5-2

and the guy just below him in Lombard is 2-0....

I mean guys....It's not very hard at all to say Brown could be next in line with a 7-0 record and having all stoppages.

I can shorten that for you, all those guys have top-10 wins except Brown and they only lost to guys ranked in the top-10 over their last 7.

Matt Brown hasn't beat anyone that good.

He's the same as G-Sot a couple years ago, that guy had a 7-fight win streak and then he fought people actually good and got decimated.

I can shorten that for you, all those guys have top-10 wins except Brown and they only lost to guys ranked in the top-10 over their last 7.

He's the same as G-Sot a couple years ago, that guy had a 7-fight win streak and then he fought people actually good and got decimated.

We don't know that yet. At all. (that brown = gsot)

but its time to see what happens when Brown fights someone really good. It's always possible he can impress. Very accurate punches and an interesting offense that is so gritty it's hard for people to counter him. So far.

Why so he can get shit-canned and disappear into obscurity as fast as he appeared? They are trying to play up his streak, Im sure they'd like to keep it going. Brown will lose badly to any top5 welterweight, they're gonna wanna give him someone on the fringe or coming off of a long lay off.

That would be seriously fucking terrible if they made Brown vs Alves (not skill wise mind you). The guy has to fight someone sooner or later. No one ever goes this long with that kind of win streak and performances without fighting an elite near the top of the rankings. It's seriously getting old. Alves needs more than 1 fight in 1 year to fight Brown at the moment.. It's just common sense.

When Brown fights a really good technical striker, he will get destroyed. Guys that beat Brown fairly easily include Thiago Silva, Robbie Lawler, Rory MacDonald, Carlos Condit, and Nick Diaz. Brown striking has improved, but not enough for these guys.

When Brown fights a really good technical striker, he will get destroyed. Guys that beat Brown fairly easily include Thiago Silva, Robbie Lawler, Rory MacDonald, Carlos Condit, and Nick Diaz. Brown striking has improved, but not enough for these guys.
Funny you left out Hendricks. and I agree... Hendricks is actually the best matchup for Brown style wise even if he's still an underdog.

but I'd seriously bet on Brown over Thaigo.

Condit he should be an underdog but still stylistically it's possible. Just make a damn fight against someone good and we'll find out. UFC matchmaking blows so who can guess what theyll do.

Jay, I'm too lazy to go back and find your post and click reply, but Alves' career prior to Kampmann is extremely overrated.

Also, lol at you fucking clowns that think Hendricks is the best match-up for Brown and that everyone else kills him.

Johny will never get respect on this forum.

Funny you left out Hendricks. and I agree... Hendricks is actually the best matchup for Brown style wise even if he's still an underdog.

but I'd seriously bet on Brown over Thaigo.

Condit he should be an underdog but still stylistically it's possible. Just make a damn fight against someone good and we'll find out. UFC matchmaking blows so who can guess what theyll do.

How? He is certainly not out striking him

Lol so Hendricks is an easy match-up for him?

I think he would. Doesn't matter because Thiago is going to jail for a long time.

Well Alves probably beats Brown on the feet (and most WWs) pretty comfortably. Alves usually only loses when people spam TDs on him against the cage

alves is terrible, I swear I think he actually lost his last fight. All of sherdog gave him that fight like he didn't even break a sweat but he got outstruck the first round and the next two rounds were close. Alves is the most overrated guy ont he ufc roster.

alves is terrible, I swear I think he actually lost his last fight. All of sherdog gave him that fight like he didn't even break a sweat but he got outstruck the first round and the next two rounds were close. Alves is the most overrated guy ont he ufc roster.

I always thought he was overrated as hell but he's not bad. Especially defensively on the feet.

Once upon a time in the UFCs WW division Rick Story had hype, so did Jake Ellenberger, Diego Sanchez, Stun Gun, John Hathaway. None of them were good enough to be champion.

Thiago Alves and Jon Fitch at least made it to a title fight where they got romped.

A lot of people on this forum are high on the Kool aid right now.

Nahhhh give him someone bigger than Alves. It's the UFC's fault for giving him 7 no names in a row and they need to stop pussy footin around and give him a top 3-4 guy
Exactly. I don't care if he can beat Alvez. Although it'd be a fun fight. I wanna know if he can beat one of the contenders and make a case for jumping others for a title shot

He should rematch Stun Gun (1st fight was close) or fight Lombard next.

Alves would be good but it doesn't make sense ranking wise, I thought Alves won the baczynski fight but, it was close.

If Brown's next fight isn't for a title/title eliminator then the UFC should just officially admit that they are sports entertainment on the level of the WWE.

Once upon a time in the UFCs WW division Rick Story had hype, so did Jake Ellenberger, Diego Sanchez, Stun Gun, John Hathaway. None of them were good enough to be champion.

Thiago Alves and Jon Fitch at least made it to a title fight where they got romped.

A lot of people on this forum are high on the Kool aid right now.

+Rory

Back