What about Matt "the Immortal" Brown (19-11) vs. Thiago "the Pitbull" Alves (20-9)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
hahaha

I thought it was a consensus he should face a top 5. Let's wait his streak go to 50 wins maybe

I'd favor Brown. Alves is overrated.

Alves isn't really rated by many these days. Before his fight against Seth, his last performance was against Kampmann a couple of years ago where he clearly outstruck and outgrappled Kampmann (easily outgrappled Kampmann which was surprising) over 2 and 3/4 rounds before going for a baffling takedown attempt that led to him getting subbed. Alves is still plenty talented. It would be an interesting fight, but it makes no sense for Brown's career. He needs a top fighter for once.

Brown isn't an elite ww but he deserves someone higher ranked than Alves. Give him DHK and if he wins that then give him a top 10 guy.

Alves doesn't have a win over a top 20 opponent in like 4 years.

i just don't understand posts like this.

Brown was ranked #7 before the Silva fight. Why would you give him a guy like Kim, who is already in the top 10? and then if he beats him, he gets someone else in the top 10? lol

He's ahead of Kim already. Kim isn't really on the radar, he needs to fight saffiediene and see who moves up to Brown's level, not the other way around. Brown at least deserves a #1 contender fight. I would give him the title shot already, but UFC is salivating over the possibility of Rory winning and putting the title fight on in Canada.

Brown should fight Lombard, Lawler/Ellenberger winner or rematch DHK next. He needs a legitimate top ten WW. Brown has not beaten a top ten WW in his career. He lost to DHK 6 years ago, and that rematch makes more sense that Alves. Alves was away for two years as well, and is a step down for Brown. I personally like the idea of Lombard vs. Brown in a title eliminator.

Last edited:
I like the fight, but the guy deserves a contender match up. If he loses the contender matchup, I think him vs Alves would be perfect.

Also you got the wrong Thiago HL vid (idk if anyone else pointed it out yet)

Alves is still working his way back up the rankings. I would matchup Alves with someone like Jordan Mein, it still would be a good fight and tough opponent for Alves but not top of the division guy yet.

A fight with Alves would be awesome but Brown deserves a legit top 10/number one contender matchup.

Winner of Lawler/Ellenberger, a rematch with Dong, or maybe even Saffedeine.

I'm sure Brown would say yes to a fight against Alves, but it wouldn't be much more than a dangerous 'keep busy' fight.

No, he needs someone higher ranked than Alves. I'm thinking Lombard.

^^^What do you have against the UFC putting on an amazing evenly matched fight. A fight that fight fans would love to see?

Well, my initial point was basically that an Alves-Brown fight would hold up Brown's career, when he's already won 7 fights in a row. So that would be what I have against it and what you posted above doesn't really do shit to address that. When you're the one arguing for a guy who's on a 7 fight win streak to fight someone outside of the top 10, the onus is on you to establish why that's not a fucking stupid idea. You haven't done that.

I like the fight, but the guy deserves a contender match up. If he loses the contender matchup, I think him vs Alves would be perfect.

Also you got the wrong Thiago HL vid (idk if anyone else pointed it out yet)

It's Alves.

Nahhhh give him someone bigger than Alves. It's the UFC's fault for giving him 7 no names in a row and they need to stop pussy footin around and give him a top 3-4 guy
Why so he can get shit-canned and disappear into obscurity as fast as he appeared? They are trying to play up his streak, Im sure they'd like to keep it going. Brown will lose badly to any top5 welterweight, they're gonna wanna give him someone on the fringe or coming off of a long lay off.

This fight makes no sense for Brown. Neither did Silva but there's no way this is happening next.

Not another out of the top 10 fight. Give the poor guy someone from top 5 now.

Why so he can get shit-canned and disappear into obscurity as fast as he appeared? They are trying to play up his streak, Im sure they'd like to keep it going. Brown will lose badly to any top5 welterweight, they're gonna wanna give him someone on the fringe or coming off of a long lay off.

well said

This fight makes no sense now.

It would make perfect sense if Brown loses his next fight, though.

I'm of the belief that you need some top 10 wins to get a title shot.

Well, if you've been following this sport, you would know that's not always the case.

I'd also prefer so, but this division has dramatically changed over the last year. When you have someone on a 7 fight win streak, taking out everyone, and the division is shook up just enough for there really to be no controversy? I'd say pull the trigger. Matt Brown has been around paying his dues for a long, long time.

He's beaten some really, really good competition regardless of where they actually ranked.

Let's check out the top 5 over their last 7....

Robbie Lawler - He's only fought at WW in his last 4 fights and is 3-1...I personally think Lawler should be getting an immediate rematch but that's not happening. 1 top 10 win.

Rory Mac - 6-1....1 top 10 win.

Tyron Woodley - 5-2 - Includes a split to Tim Means. His top 10 win over Condit obviously came with a bit of an *.

Carlos Condit....Injured.

Jake Ellenberger - 5-2

and the guy just below him in Lombard is 2-0....

I mean guys....It's not very hard at all to say Brown could be next in line with a 7-0 record and having all stoppages.

Alves is a tough match up for anybody, but so is Matt Brown.

Just give a top-10 guy already so I don't have to hear all this stupid stuff about how Brown should have a title shot, which is laughable.

Anyone in the top-10 will be the favorite over brown and beat him.

Back