What about Matt "the Immortal" Brown (19-11) vs. Thiago "the Pitbull" Alves (20-9)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 245586
  • Start date
Diaz/Brown would be better and more relevant, assuming Nick ever comes back

One body kick from Alves and Brown will drop

yep, and after mein and silva both did it to him you know that Alves would wreck Brown, for a minute, and then Brown beats the shit out of Alves and wins the fight, like he does. But yea, Alves is a step back.

Thiago needs to shake off the rust before fighting contenders, beat a solid non-contender like Pierce, or maybe even Diaz (would be a fun fight).

Brown should get a title eliminator because he's won 7 straight, not a returning unranked guy (he was unranked before the layoff). That guy is Lombard.

I want Matt Brown to be in a top 5 fight on the same card as the next welterweight title fight. Then whoever is fighting for the title gets hurt and Brown gets to step in. Mostly because I feel bad for the guy, I don't really want to see him get possibly derailed.

That's my point. Thiago vs Matt would be a WAR which means they are close to evenly matched.

A UFC champion needs to always fight someone ranked in the top 10 and that ranked opponent is almost always riding the longest win streak of their career. Someone who is peaking and has massive hype behind them for a contender fight. Erick Silva was not that guy.

Matt "the Immortal" Brown is not at that level. He is not on the level of a UFC champ. There is a poll out on the forum where 50% of Sherdoggers feel he should get the next UFC WW title shot!!! That's false hope. He fights on cards they put on free T.V. and Fight Nights. It's a different level both skill wise and in terms of selling PPVs.

This is a business. How are they gonna sell a guy with double digit losses that the public has never heard of? This will at least give him an opportunity to fight on a PPV against someone with a name. Someone who fought for the championship and a fight that could go either way.

they probably put him on free cards because of his fan friendly "Drag you to hell" style he has

Brown isn't an elite ww but he deserves someone higher ranked than Alves. Give him DHK and if he wins that then give him a top 10 guy.

Alves doesn't have a win over a top 20 opponent in like 4 years.

WW is pretty deep. I'd like to see Brown against somebody 1 - 6.

I agree with TonyCPA that Brown is overrated (well, overrated in the sense that it makes my head hurt that beating Silva apparently warrants a title fight in the minds of many).

Alves would be a great "fun fight". But I do think that Brown has earned a fight that could actually land him in title contention if he wins. I don't think Alves does that for Brown at this point

No. Alves vs Pyle, all day, every day. Brown needs to fight the Dong again, Saff, Condit, or Lombard. Diaz would be cool and Ellenberger (if he beats Lawler) makes a ton of sense.

Don't get me wrong, Brown vs Alves would be great, but Thiago has had a hell of a layoff. If he decimated Seth B, maybe.

Why are people saying Brown should fight DHK again? If Brown beats DHK we are just going to get "Well DHK never actually had any top 10 wins either!!!!"

Just give the guy a top 10 fight already. He was supposed to fight Condit, so give him another top 10. People want to see Brown fight for the title becuase he is on a hot streak and he would make it an exciting fight. I don't think many people here actually think he can or will win the title, they just want to see this entertaining mofo get a chance.

Love this fight! I would have to take Alves to win this one IMO

Could be cool, but I don't think he's getting a title shot off of Alves.

^^^well if he did win it would give him his first against someone that fought for the UFC WW title. That's a lot better than getting a shot off someone that is 4-4 in the UFCs free cards and Fight nights

Back