What about Matt "the Immortal" Brown (19-11) vs. Thiago "the Pitbull" Alves (20-9)?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Deleted member 245586, May 11, 2014.

1. Matt "the Immortal" Brown
    Height = 6'0"
    Age = 33 yrs.
    Reach = 75"
    Wins on UFC PPV = 5
    Finishes = 12 knockouts and 5 submissions
    Sherdog rank = Unranked
    Team = The JG MMA fitness academy
    Brown belt in BJJ
    Current winning streak = 7 fights

Thiago "Pitbull" Alves
    Height = 5'9"
    Age = 30yrs.
    Reach = 68"
    Wins on UFC PPV = 9
    Finishes = 11 knockouts and 2 submissions
    Sherdog rank = Unranked
    Team = American Top Team
    Brown belt in BJJ
    Current winning streak = 1 fight

Those of you calling for Matt Brown to get the next UFC title shot at WW need to come back down to reality. He needs a much lower level opponent if he wants to prevent that win streak of fighters ranked outside the top 15 alive.

Both of these guys are available to fight and Matt may be able to pick up his first win against someone who fought for the UFC WW title. It will be an easier fight than Carlos Condit at least.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  2. jiujitsuforever

jiujitsuforever Banned Banned

north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the ea
    Brown should fight someone between #6-10, but still alves vs brown would be a war.

3. Jopo

Jopo Gold Belt

Nahhhh give him someone bigger than Alves. It's the UFC's fault for giving him 7 no names in a row and they need to stop pussy footin around and give him a top 3-4 guy

4. giovanni002

giovanni002 Silver Belt

I agree Tony, but you can't overshadow Brown's 7 fight winning streak (6/7 finishes), I think it's fair for him to face the top 5 at this point

5. VinceArch

VinceArch Venom in the veins.

At this point Thiago Alves doesn't deserve Matt Brown.

6. That's my point. Thiago vs Matt would be a WAR which means they are close to evenly matched.

A UFC champion needs to always fight someone ranked in the top 10 and that ranked opponent is almost always riding the longest win streak of their career. Someone who is peaking and has massive hype behind them for a contender fight. Erick Silva was not that guy.

Matt "the Immortal" Brown is not at that level. He is not on the level of a UFC champ. There is a poll out on the forum where 50% of Sherdoggers feel he should get the next UFC WW title shot!!! That's false hope. He fights on cards they put on free T.V. and Fight Nights. It's a different level both skill wise and in terms of selling PPVs.

This is a business. How are they gonna sell a guy with double digit losses that the public has never heard of? This will at least give him an opportunity to fight on a PPV against someone with a name. Someone who fought for the championship and a fight that could go either way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  7. LGVB

LGVB Green Belt

Brown vs winner of Rory vs Woodley

8. BeardotheWeirdo

BeardotheWeirdo Silver Belt

He should fight Nick Diaz

9. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

I wouldn't say it is, they scheduled him to fight Condit but he got hurt

Buit fighting Alves would be a step back for him now, fight makes no sense at all

10. Jopo

Jopo Gold Belt

True about Condit.

and Alves is also coming off having 1 fight in a year. It won't do anything for Brown to beat him. Anyone at the top of the chain at WW is good because theyre all pretty evenly skilled. I think they're going to give him the winner of Lawler/Burger.

11. WildCard777

WildCard777 White Belt

As much as I'd like to see this fight, NO! With his current win streak he honestly should get a title shot, but due to his lack of big names in that streak he won't. However he does deserve a #1 contenders match, and I have two fights in mind for that.

The winner of Lawler vs Ellenberger

Or Hector Lombard

Not Saying the winner of MacDonald vs Woodley because that winner most likely will get the title shot before Brown(if he wins his next fight.).

12. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

Give him a ranked opponent, he's not getting a title shot off of Alves.

13. Bollman

Bollman Brown Belt

That would be a firefight for sure. However, I think it's time to give Brown a top ten opponent, with a title shot if he wins. I would suggest someone like Lombard or if they could get Nick to accept the fight it would be an appropriate fight for him (Nick) and would solidify Brown as the no. 1 contender. He's languishing in the 10-15 range and it's time for him to move up.

14. cade187

cade187 I'm not a part of your system.

Anything less than top 5 for Brown right now is absurd. He is still an option for a title shot depending on how the rest of the division plays out.

15. muscari

muscari Green Belt

Brown vs. Saffedine or Kampmann would be my choice. If gets by either of them, then probably a title eliminator is the only thing left between him and a title shot.

16. TheonGreyJoy**

TheonGreyJoy** Banned Banned

Right now Brown is on a Dan Hardy like run with a couple more finishes. Hardy too was on a 7 fight win streak with 4 finishes. And people act as if Hardy had no business being anywhere near the top of the WW division based on record. The ironic thing being these records are so much better than what fighter require in the divisions above WW.

So I would like to see Matt do more. I agree with you and think someone ranked anywhere from 4-7 would be best. Then with a win a title eliminator with however is available in the top 3.

17. RoosterCogburn

RoosterCogburn El hombre con los pantalones locos

yes, Brown could get a top 5

18. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's crazy how much Brown has put things together since TUF. The guy was at a .500 record before he took off on this win streak.

I think he could be Alves in 5 rounds but it would have to come late in the end if Alves cardio wasn't there.

19. wompuscatwilly

wompuscatwilly Brown Belt

TS join the "I'm scared to death of Brown getting a top opponent because his manliness intimidates me" group! If you don't think he deserves a top 5 guy after dismantling his last 6 and 7 in a row then you're blinded by hate or ignorance.

20. Bigj383

Bigj383 Gold Belt

Give Brown someone ranked in the top 10. See if Brown's streak has been because of the right matches or can he do that against people we know are well rounded and tested.