What a terrible awards season this has been for movies

G

Guestx

Just fucking shitty. That's all there is to it.

I always look forward to that post-Summer gauntlet of solid films competing for the Oscars, but 2016 has been weak. And unless I have just missed them it has not really produced ANY films that I feel are strong candidates for Best Picture.

2013 gave us The Wolf of Wall Street, Philomena, Her and Dallas Buyer's Club. 2014 gave us films like Birdman, Whiplash, The Grand Budapest Hotel and American Sniper. 2015 gave us The Revenant, Room, Bridge of Spies and Spotlight.

But what has 2016 given us?

Arrival was good, but I don't know that I'd call it a GREAT film. Hell or High Water was also good, but Best Picture good? Same for Hacksaw Ridge.

But like I said, maybe I've just missed them. If so, please inform me. What strong films have come out this year that passed me by?

The Jewish conspiracy was to produce so few good movies that Mel Gibson has to win an Oscar. Wait...

Neon Demon easily the best film in a very under whelming year.

Hell or High Water and American Honey just leaked on the interwebz, so i'll check those out and hope they live up to the hype

Fences, La La Land and Manchester by the Sea are all the ones people are talking about and nobody has seen any of them so...

Oscars is a bit of a joke though.

There's lots of good movies like The Handmaiden or Hunt for the Wilderpeople that won't make award shows, but are definitely of that caliber.

Fences, La La Land and Manchester by the Sea are all the ones people are talking about and nobody has seen any of them so...

I just found an article which gives this list:

Frontrunners (in alphabetical order):
“20th Century Women” (A24)
“Arrival” (Paramount)
“Fences” (Paramount)
“La La Land” (Lionsgate)
“Manchester by the Sea” (Amazon, Roadside Attractions)
“Moonlight” (A24)
“Sully” (Warner Bros.)

Contenders:
“Hell or High Water” (CBS Films)
“Hidden Figures” (Fox)
“Jackie” (Fox Searchlight)
“The Jungle Book” (Disney)
“Lion” (Weinstein Co.)
“Loving” (Focus Features)
“Silence” (Paramount)

Long Shots:
“Allied” (Paramount)
“Hacksaw Ridge” (Lionsgate)
“A Monster Calls” (Focus Features)
“Passengers” (Sony)
“Patriots Day” (CBS Films/Lionsgate)
“Rules Don’t Apply” (Fox)

Some of these haven't even been released yet, but of those who have I confess I haven't seen most of them. So maybe I really have just missed the best films this year. I guess I have some catching up to do.

Agreed, not a lot to pick from this year. Honestly Hell or Highwater was the best movie I saw this year, and I wasnt blown away by it. It was fairly predictable.

Neon Demon easily the best film in a very under whelming year.
That was very pretty movie and the cinematography, sets, and costumes were the best of the year but it was not good. IHMO

The trailer for Manchester by the Sea was Lifetime Movie-esque with super fucking annoying Boston accents.

<6>

The Oscars?

LOL.

It's a lot like this.....

tumblr_luvhoyK0qy1qhf777o1_500.gif

The trailer for Manchester by the Sea was Lifetime Movie-esque with super fucking annoying Boston accents.

<6>

I've heard it's a great movie, but also super depressing. Which isn't usually my cup of tea.

After last year all the Oscar's are going to whatever the blackest film is. White directors all took a year off. Birth of a Nation ftw

That was very pretty movie and the cinematography, sets, and costumes were the best of the year but it was not good. IHMO

Randomly watched it last night and couldn't agree more.

Nichols and Refn both dropped classics (Neon Demon and Midnight Special).

I have high hopes for Villueneves Arrival which I have yet to see.

Back