What a great night of boxing! *spoilers*

BFG

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Lopez vs. Kambosos and Figueroa vs. Fulton were both wars and some of the bests fights I've seen in a bit, especially on the same night. Credit to all the fighters, but especially to Kambosos, who was a long shot fighter it seemed and brought it to Lopez all night, even after getting dropped and hurt.

A shout out to Figueroa and Fulton is also deserved for a great fight and A FUCKING UNIFICATION. I've been watching boxing since I was a kid in the 1980s, and the proliferation of shitty sanctioning bodies and belts has really ruined the sport. Getting guys, especially young undefeated ones, to fight one another in a unification is pretty rare these days, as they can often just crush cans or shitty mandatories and hold onto their belts easier. Figueroa may have lost but he fought a great fight (though it's odd to see a tall lanky guy as an inside fighter), even if I thought Fulton was more consistent and deserved it.

Lastly, Pulev didn't embarrass the sport (looking at you Cunningham) tonight and did what any top tier heavyweight should against an MMA fighter, win. Also, he showed class in not knocking the shit out of Mir when he was clearly not defending himself and out on his feet. Pulev is no joke as a HW and it was ballsy of Mir to even get in there with him.

I've mostly been watching MMA of late, due largely to a lot of frustration with the politics of boxing...but it was nice tonight to have fights end largely without any significant controversy and more importantly to be great examples of what the sport can be at its best.

Back