What a 10-8 round looks like

Have you read the criteria for scoring effective striking, though?

“Legal blows that have immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute towards the end of the match with the IMMEDIATE weighing in more heavily than the cumulative impact."

The rules state pretty much the opposite of you're stating. Dropping someone has a much higher potential to contribute towards the end of the match than cumulative strikes which do not visibly hurt someone. Also immediate impact is to considered to be more significant than cumulative impact.

I replied to a guy who said "I'm comfortable with dropping your opponent being a 10-8" by saying that I'm not comfortable with it. I wasn't claiming that what I said was the actual criteria, I was stating that the actual criteria, is in my opinion, a bit retarded.

I thought Carwin/Brock R1 should have been a 10-7.
Doesn’t affect the outcome, but Brock did nothing and that fight could have been stopped.

I think it’s in the books as an official 10-8.

Frankie vs Maynard 2. That first round was brutal
That should have been a 10-7 based on the wording of the criteria.

I am fine with the more liberal use of 10-8 rounds since the new rules were brought in. A fighter shouldn't have to damned-near kill his or her opponent to get an extra point in front. That's silly. A fighter dropping his or her opponent and then controlling them and nullifying their offenece for most of a round should be a 10-8.

Yoel/Whittaker should have been a draw, though obviously that wouldn't affect who was champion.

I thought Carwin/Brock R1 should have been a 10-7.
Doesn’t affect the outcome, but Brock did nothing and that fight could have been stopped.

I think it’s in the books as an official 10-8.
this is actually a very good example. I agree 100%.

I'm not. You can drop your opponent with one strike, while losing the round otherwise. Doesn't even have to be that hard of a strike. No way in hell does one strike change the outcome of that round that drastically that it goes straight from 10-9 to 8-10.

Now if you're clearly winning the round already, and get a KD, that's a different story. But it still depends on a lot of things, like in Whitaker-Romero rd 3, Whitaker landed some really good shots too, and wobbled Romero a bit with that headkick, which to me, brings it back from 8-10 to 9-10. Even in the final round, I don't think Romero did enough afterwards to earn a 10-8. He was too tired and his output too low to really dominate the round enough to get a 10-8.

In regards of this fight, it actually looks bad on Romero, in my opinion, that he was unable to finish Whitaker despite wobbling him so many times. But I know that has nothing to do with scoring.
Agreed. Knockdown in boxing is vastly different. There are flash knockdowns in boxing all the time but, there are also many more rounds. In addition mma has a lot more variables, a lot more reasons to not have your base set etc.

Rd5 Romero was close to 10-8 but, anyone saying 3 was is delusional.

I strongly disagree with anyone that says Romero won a 10-8 round against

giphy.gif

Again with this shit?

Romero won. We all know that.

Even Whittaker knows that ( http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Mi...erested-In-Trilogy-Against-Yoel-Romero-138077 )

Now do what Elsa did. Let it go.
How and why should he defend a third time?? He beat Romero 2 times and that with injuries.
Gay Jesus could not even make weight and he should fight again?
Romero should atleast beat 2 top 10 MW fighters, then and only then he can think about a title shot again.
Whittaker with both healthy hands and legs will have an easy fight.

10 - 9 close round
10 - 8 dominant round
10 - 7 getting beat up and almost finished for 5 min

thats how it should be

There were 2 other 10/8 rounds that card
Mike Jackson pitter pattering CM punk
Holm lying on top of Megan Anderson

Yet Romero dominating Whittaker, dealing heavy damage, coming very to close to finishing the fight and controlling whittaker on the ground the entire round doesn't constitute a 10/8?

Pretty much, for me things as just swapped over now that instead of favoured fighters getting 10-8's more easily as was the case its now unflavoured fighters who don't get them.

I originally wanted Romero to win and imo he did, but honestly fuck it he missed weight for a goddamn title fight. The most disrespectful thing you can do. I'm glad he lost.

As far as 10/7 rounds go, Edgar vs Maynard round one was a 10/7 imo.

Carwin missed way too many shots against Brock for me to call that a 10/7. At the time it looked brutal but upon rewatching it you can see how little of that gnp really landed on anything but forearms.

10 - 9 close round
10 - 8 dominant round
10 - 7 getting beat up and almost finished for 5 min

thats how it should be

That’s the simple version, but it can get more complicated very easily.

What if one guy “outstrikes” his opponent with pitter patter, gets a couple TD’s, presses his opponent against the cage, for 4 minutes....

But for one minute he gets rocked, floored, put on rubber legs, and nearly finished?

Pride judging would give that to the guy who almost got the finish (see Hendo vs Ninja Rua).

But the post Tuf generation of fans adhere to this idea that if one guy is winning 90% of the time (or 80% in my example) that he deserves to win the round.
Wand vs Bisping led to a lot of debate regarding this.

Shogun vs Henderson 1 R5. Total domination.

TS is full of shit...

But thanks for letting me know about that site!

You have nothing to contribute other than to talk shit because you're a fucking retard with a low IQ. Fuck off loser.

TS doesnt like when you make so much sense.

LOL you're saying punk losing those rounds was the equivalent of what happened with Romero and Whittaker? You just made yourself look stupid AF, CM punk fought like he never had a day of training in his life. Whittaker had decent output in every round, minus the last half of round 5 but Romero wasn't doing anything but hugging at that loint

"If that round isn't a 10-8 round then I don't know what a 10-8 round is"

- Chael

It's crazy to me that people want to call it a 10-9.

Have to agree that 10-8 rounds and Haley's Comet have something in common.

Back