What a 10-8 round looks like

Daos

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I strongly disagree with anyone that says Romero won a 10-8 round against Whittaker. Until we have unified consistent rules/guideliness on MMA judging you need to look at the way fights have been scored in the past and not the way you think it should be scored.

My example of a 10-8 round that's based off the history of MMA would be GSP vs BJ Penn 2, rounds 2 and 3. From the start of those rounds until the end of the rounds BJ literally did nothing but defend and survive. No offense whatsoever. I will include a link to the fight at the end of the post for anyone that needs a refresher.

Now if you score those rounds in the BJ vs GSP fight a 10-7 then maybe a discussion about Romero vs Whittaker with a 10-8 doesn't become so absurd. But if we look at the history of MMA there hasn't been a 10-7 round that I've ever seen on the scorecards. (I could be wrong)

Anyone who disagrees and replies to this post please watch rounds 2 and 3 of BJ/GSP 2. The domination in those rounds isn't comparable imo to rounds 3 and 5 in Romero/Whittaker 2. Yes I understand Whittaker got dropped and hurt but he wasn't on defense from the start to the end of the round with 0% offense like BJ was. With that said if you still disagree I'm curious as to why? Link to fight here.

http://mmaversus.com/2016/10/11/georges-st-pierre-vs-b-j-penn-2-fight-video-ufc-94/

giphy.gif

There were 2 other 10/8 rounds that card
Mike Jackson pitter pattering CM punk
Holm lying on top of Megan Anderson

Yet Romero dominating Whittaker, dealing heavy damage, coming very to close to finishing the fight and controlling whittaker on the ground the entire round doesn't constitute a 10/8?

Welcome to Sherdog.

The rules on how to score 10-8s have changed. It is much easier to score them now. Dropping your opponent, dealing much more damage, and remaining in dominant position for the vast majority of the round is all it really takes.

5th round in Shogun vs Hendo 1 should have been a 10-8

Maynard -edgar II round 1
near death experiences are 10-7
next is, if your corner has to peel you off the mat and drag you to the stool 10-6
see Vovchanchyn/Inoue

with these markers for scoring, I'm comfortable with dropping your opponent being 10-8

with these markers for scoring, I'm comfortable with dropping your opponent being 10-8

I'm not. You can drop your opponent with one strike, while losing the round otherwise. Doesn't even have to be that hard of a strike. No way in hell does one strike change the outcome of that round that drastically that it goes straight from 10-9 to 8-10.

Now if you're clearly winning the round already, and get a KD, that's a different story. But it still depends on a lot of things, like in Whitaker-Romero rd 3, Whitaker landed some really good shots too, and wobbled Romero a bit with that headkick, which to me, brings it back from 8-10 to 9-10. Even in the final round, I don't think Romero did enough afterwards to earn a 10-8. He was too tired and his output too low to really dominate the round enough to get a 10-8.

In regards of this fight, it actually looks bad on Romero, in my opinion, that he was unable to finish Whitaker despite wobbling him so many times. But I know that has nothing to do with scoring.

Look at the Khabib and GSP's fights!
You will see many 10-8 rounds!

A 5 minute humping!

Yet Romero dominating Whittaker, dealing heavy damage, coming very to close to finishing the fight and controlling whittaker on the ground the entire round doesn't constitute a 10/8?
TS doesnt like when you make so much sense.

I'm not. You can drop your opponent with one strike, while losing the round otherwise. Doesn't even have to be that hard of a strike. No way in hell does one strike change the outcome of that round that drastically that it goes straight from 10-9 to 8-10.

Now if you're clearly winning the round already, and get a KD, that's a different story. But it still depends on a lot of things, like in Whitaker-Romero rd 3, Whitaker landed some really good shots too, and wobbled Romero a bit with that headkick, which to me, brings it back from 8-10 to 9-10. Even in the final round, I don't think Romero did enough afterwards to earn a 10-8. He was too tired and his output too low to really dominate the round enough to get a 10-8.

In regards of this fight, it actually looks bad on Romero, in my opinion, that he was unable to finish Whitaker despite wobbling him so many times. But I know that has nothing to do with scoring.

Have you read the criteria for scoring effective striking, though?

“Legal blows that have immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute towards the end of the match with the IMMEDIATE weighing in more heavily than the cumulative impact."

The rules state pretty much the opposite of you're stating. Dropping someone has a much higher potential to contribute towards the end of the match than cumulative strikes which do not visibly hurt someone. Also immediate impact is to considered to be more significant than cumulative impact.

In other words judges are inconsistent as fuck.

This

if you damn near finish an opponent who only survived cuz the round ended it's a 10-8. They really need to get with the program and get a unified rule set. They need to do something about this whole weight cutting shitshow too

TS is full of shit...

But thanks for letting me know about that site!

Back