What 375 million people will have to do when robots take their jobs

So you haven't got a feckin clue .....thats what I figured

Um like I said it's different for different people. I myself am becoming an electrician. I'm not worried about automation. I also enjoy woodworking and building stuff with my hands. until robots start making handmade dovetailed cabinets of all sorts and sizes affordably I'll have that as a side gig. You acting like all of humanity is doomed from automation is quite funny.

edit: if anything, automation will make my stuff worth more as you'll only have a limited number of options when going with the mass produced crap. All those custom pieces sound like $ to me

Um like I said it's different for different people. I myself am becoming an electrician. I'm not worried about automation. I also enjoy woodworking and building stuff with my hands. until robots start making handmade dovetailed cabinets of all sorts and sizes affordably I'll have that as a side gig. You acting like all of humanity is doomed from automation is quite funny.

edit: if anything, automation will make my stuff worth more as you'll only have a limited number of options when going with the mass produced crap. All those custom pieces sound like $ to me
You're not looking at the big picture , if unemployment were to hit 35% the shit will have hit the fan , it's a worthwhile exercise to think about possible solutions,a Ubi and Reduced working hours are things that will have to be considered imo

Maybe there will be a pandemic and we won't have to worry about it, who the hell knows but to not discuss these things is just silly

Automation is only part of it. 3D printing and AI is the rest of the picture.

You're not looking at the big picture , if unemployment were to hit 35% the shit will have hit the fan

I don't think this happens as a result of automation. Especially not overnight. Humans will adjust like they always do, hence why my answer is self sufficiency.
Ubi and Reduced working hours are things that will have to be considered imo

Right, idiots will cry out to the government to save them. I choose not to be one of them. The government isn't some loving father figure

who the hell knows but to not discuss these things is just silly

Here we are discussing them

Automation is only part of it. 3D printing and AI is the rest of the picture.

I appreciate this, but my point stands. The fact that somebody has to design it all shows it will be mass produced trash much like today.

You think machines aren't making cabinets and adirondack chairs currently?

I think the fear mongering over automation, when our unemployment is as low as it is, is really weird. I see big parallels between automation and climate change and the way people are playing off of others fears and emotions.

I appreciate this, but my point stands. The fact that somebody has to design it all shows it will be mass produced trash much like today.

You think machines aren't making cabinets and adirondack chairs currently?

I think the fear mongering over automation, when our unemployment is as low as it is, is really weird. I see big parallels between automation and climate change and the way people are playing off of others fears and emotions.

I think there is a lack of fear for what is coming.

In 15 years, we will all have 3D printers in our home. They will be dirt cheap. All people will pay for is the stock material.

The IP for the design will get bootlegged like movies and music.

I don't think this happens as a result of automation. Especially not overnight. Humans will adjust like they always do, hence why my answer is self sufficiency.

Right, idiots will cry out to the government to save them. I choose not to be one of them. The government isn't some loving father figure

Here we are discussing them
No you are refusing to discuss them , the coming upheaval will likely be much greater than that of the industrial revolution as the rate of change now appears to be even more rapid , saying that people will just figure things out and refusing to think about other options is just being intellectually lazy

I think there is a lack of fear for what is coming.

In 15 years, we will all have 3D printers in our home. They will be dirt cheap. All people will pay for is the stock material.

The IP for the design will get bootlegged like movies and music.

It doesn't happen overnight. Even in this doomsday scenario, people would adapt or die like they always have.

I'd be the guy making custom designs old school and making big bucks Sam Maloof style https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Maloof

It doesn't happen overnight. Even in this doomsday scenario, people would adapt or die like they always have.

I'd be the guy making custom designs old school and making big bucks Sam Maloof style https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Maloof

Well, I imagine in a world where automation, AI, and 3D printing have taken hold, the artisan economy will become larger, and more important.

No you are refusing to discuss them , the coming upheaval will likely be much greater than that of the industrial revolution as the rate of change now appears to be even more rapid , saying that people will just figure things out and refusing to think about other options is just being intellectually lazy

I said the path would be different for different folk. I'm becoming an electrician with carpentry as a side thing. Computer engineer would be another good choice. Programming as well. Managers for those choices humans should make.

Point is, pretty much any path but crime and asking the gov. To give you an allowance would be a good answer.

*monotone metallic voice*
I am the They Took Our Jerbs-bot 5000, I am here to soothe you always. It is not fair, I am just trying to oil and maintain my robofamily.

I think a universal basic income will need to be adopted,
Just like with the advent of farming and agriculture people will have more time doing whatever they may wish.
Sounds like a utopian future.

Ever see the show , how it's made. A lot of automated factories.

These factories use to employ hundreds , there was already a period when automation wiped our factory jobs

What 375 million people will have to do when robots take their jobs

By 2030, as many as 375 million workers—or 14% of the global workforce—could be useless in their jobs, thanks to automation.

That figure comes from the McKinsey Global Institute, which released a report today (Nov. 29) looking at the displacement that automation will cause in the near future. Research analysts from the consultancy firm estimate that somewhere between 400 million and 800 million people will find themselves in need of new jobs as automation and machine learning creep into industries all over the world. Of that number, McKinsey suggests 375 million will have to switch occupational categories entirely.

https://qz.com/1140364/as-automation-hits-375-million-people-will-have-to-change-careers-entirely/

So I know that 2030 might sound like a long time away, but that is only 12 years away.

Think on that for a minute. In the next 12 years the US is projected to lose 32 million jobs to automation, and that is just the tip of the iceberg for what is to come.

Articles like this, tend to paint a picture of labor workers, going to tech schools and stem to fill the need for all the new tech jobs automation will create. Well color me skeptical, but I think I have heard this one before. Something about all the tech jobs that were coming to replace our manufacturing jobs. We got Starbucks and wal-mart jobs instead, the very jobs most easily replaced by automation.

What say you WR, is 32 million high, low, about right?

Will we magically create 32 million tech jobs to replace those lost to automation?

Can capitalism in the US withstand losing 32 million jobs in 12 years, and as a low estimate 50 million over the next 20 years?

Please paint me a picture of how 32 million jobs is going to be replaced.

Discuss.......

5 billion africans and 8 or 10 billion asians and 1 billion latinos will spread to north america and europe and white people will take care of us. I will collect that welfare and have muslim kids!

By 2100

Back