What 375 million people will have to do when robots take their jobs

Nicoya Tesla believed that automation would lead to an intellectual revolution because more people would be free to pursue intellectual pursuits.

Doesn't sound very realistic now though

Just like from 1900 to 2000, technology has done great things to make life far easier in a lot of ways and we've found new things to do with our work. I think with those job loses, they also aren't factoring in what new industries/jobs might arise. Though I still agree it will be a net loss in the longrun, the only concern with that is governments understanding an efficient way to help those least useful to the labor market while still allowing industries to have incentive to progress. There are challenges but this is a very good problem to have... more free time.

Yeah trust the government to give you your bread crumbs.... pathetic

Just move your chipped hand across the automated food dispensary scanner and a tasty nugget will drop for you.

As someone who designs automation solutions, life is looking pretty good for me

Of those jobs lost, how many are added for designing and maintenance and sale on the bots? Also job manufacturing the bots as well as the circuitry for them?

I don’t think the net jobs lost to automation will be near as bad as people think, and that those job owners who don’t transfer to the other side will have to shift into the ever expanding service industry

If this is true, then automation is a hustle.

Why would corporations spend millions of dollars on robots, if they end up with just as many employees.

Yes, mechanics will still be needed to service and repair self driving delivery trucks, but you still destroyed millions of truck driving jobs.

As someone who designs automation solutions, life is looking pretty good for me

Of those jobs lost, how many are added for designing and maintenance and sale on the bots? Also job manufacturing the bots as well as the circuitry for them?

I don’t think the net jobs lost to automation will be near as bad as people think, and that those job owners who don’t transfer to the other side will have to shift into the ever expanding service industry

Don't be troubled that a lot of people more intelligent than you and more deeply embedded in tech completely disagree with your opinion.

Just like from 1900 to 2000, technology has done great things to make life far easier in a lot of ways and we've found new things to do with our work. I think with those job loses, they also aren't factoring in what new industries/jobs might arise. Though I still agree it will be a net loss in the longrun, the only concern with that is governments understanding an efficient way to help those least useful to the labor market while still allowing industries to have incentive to progress. There are challenges but this is a very good problem to have... more free time.

I view this like immigration. Immigration is good, to a certain point. Their is a limit to how many people a society can integrate. At that point it becomes very destructive.

I think this wave of automation, and 3D printing is going to move too quickly. That it will be akin to the idea about how too much immigration is destructive. That too much efficiency, too fast, will be highly destructive.

Nicoya Tesla believed that automation would lead to an intellectual revolution because more people would be free to pursue intellectual pursuits.

Doesn't sound very realistic now though
You can't be having that because, well, bootstraps and lazy poor people....or something.

It seems insane to me that we don't take advantage of technology to just let people chill. Let them focus on their lives, their family, etc. I understand the need for humans to continue working towards something, but who's to say if we let people not stress about working 2000 hours a year we can't continue advancing?

hi VivaRevolution,

i think those jobs could possibly be replaced.

i picture alot of simple tasks that maybe a robot could not do - or could do, but would be cost inefficient to do. simple, menial tasks where the people would be paid the bare minimum.

eventually, i figure that some kind of mechanism would be put in place where the fruits of corporate earnings would be spread out amongst the common folk (which would be most of us) - just enough to make life tolerable.

what other end is there?

- IGIT

I think the machine revolution will spawn new economics, and new political systems. I don't think the solution has been thought of yet.

Lmao the average person has such shallow short terms goals..

Intellectual pursuits for most people consist of keeping up with shit reality shows, sports, and debating pointless politics in the War Room.

Anyway, these machines and computer programs (to run the machines) will require operators and programmers, respectively. I wonder if the article touched on this...I was too lazy to read.
You do realize AI will replace even computer programmers, right? Sure, companies will need a software engineer or two to oversee things but they'll be overseeing computers that write code, not humans.

Universal welfare. Been saying this for a while. The machines are going to give the elite the supreme control they've been begging for.

Enjoy your annual $20,000 income in the future, peasants. Sad thing is, in the beginning you'll thank them for it.

"$20,000 for doing nothing? Sounds pretty good!"

They all going to become bio engineers, or geneticists, and find a way to enhance humans to meta-human levels to compete and protect themselves against the likes the Ultrons, Brainiacs, and Skynets.

We will sell them to the Chinese to meet their growing need for protein. Historically the Chinese have shown a willingness to utilize human protein in times of need.
This should also help us pay our debt. Assuming a body weight average of 200 pounds, even if we only sell at $10 per hundred weight, we can get $7500000000.

(Ok, I assume the 375 million number is worldwide. But you get the picture).

What will people do?

People will have a lot of time to play with their sex robots....

I view this like immigration. Immigration is good, to a certain point. Their is a limit to how many people a society can integrate. At that point it becomes very destructive.

I think this wave of automation, and 3D printing is going to move too quickly. That it will be akin to the idea about how too much immigration is destructive. That too much efficiency, too fast, will be highly destructive.

I agree with what you said but we likely have different approaches/ thoughts on how that should be handled. I don't think impeding progress over perceived dangers is worth it when in general, it is a net positive (production goes up, the economy grows). With immigration, I think that comparison is a little rough to use but I get the idea of there being a period of assimilation with immigrants just as there is a period of transition with society/governments to technological advances.

Truckers, warehouse workers, and taxi drivers are going to have to find jobs in the not too distant future.

That is a lot of jobs. There will still be some jobs in those industries to make sure the machines are working properly but there will be lot of jobs lost.

Same thing in manufacturing. Jobs will come back from China to save on shipping costs but there will be a lot fewer jobs.

Lmao the average person has such shallow short terms goals..

Intellectual pursuits for most people consist of keeping up with shit reality shows, sports, and debating pointless politics in the War Room.

Anyway, these machines and computer programs (to run the machines) will require operators and programmers, respectively. I wonder if the article touched on this...I was too lazy to read.

Until you can program robots to repair and program other robots.

Picture unrelated

0a7.png

Meanwhile EU push to get as many zillions of third worlders as possible, that EU will have to feed when they will not find low-skill jobs avaible to support themselves

When automation really takes off what are the alternatives ?

Shortening work days, to create more jobs, and raising the minimum wage.

We could set tax rates for business's based on how many people they employ vs how much GDP they make up. They are free to reduce their workforce by 90%, and they would be free to pay the 90% tax rate that accompanies that action.

All of it requires government market intervention, which is why I became an economic progressive.

I actually don't support UBI. There is no feedback loop in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Username Required LMAO
Back