What 375 million people will have to do when robots take their jobs

Those are some of the most successful empires in history though, so obviously it didn't hurt them too much. America would be lucky to "fail" if it means another century in power.
Yeah, we could keep it going if we want to stay in the war business. Rome was as successful as they were because they conquered everything around them. So, I'm game if you are. We going after Mexico or Canada first?

Yeah, we could keep it going if we want to stay in the war business. Rome was as successful as they were because they conquered everything around them. So, I'm game if you are. We going after Mexico or Canada first?
Both.

<13>

Oh, ok. Well, for one thing, today nobody wants to buy your shitty cabinets. In the hypothetical world where automation replaces "lazy people", nobody will want to steal your shitty cabinets.

Lol people already do buy them. I dont make them to just sit around.

How is somebody gonna steal custom pieces?

Automation revolution vs mechanic domination. Tesla was righteous in his way of thinking so he hardly ever considered the negative aspects of his ideas.
He wanted to give free power to the world never thought about the possibility companies over charging energy dependent consumers.
A little too idealistic and optimistic

As someone who is the supervisor of a group of unionized employees responsible for maintaining and trouble shooting electrical equipment.. I for one say BRING ON THE MACHINES. I want the demand for my skills to increase!

Life is work in one form or another. We tend to appreciate what we have more and what life has to offer when we earn it or work for it. Having someone hand you money for nothing so you can go play isn't earning it. That's why we have such a scrounge of entitlement attitude in our younger generations. Oh and we have been able to give them that luxury because of the work that has gone before them to create the Western 1st worlds.

When the works all gone so will our societies decline.

There are other ways to work without having a job. For instance going to the gym and doing BJJ your working yourself towards goals physically. Having someone hand me money so I can continue living is one small aspect of life your to small minded and not thinking big enough. There's way more to life then your job. There's way more things that involve work and achieving something than having a job.

Also we don't have a scrounge of entitlement attitude in our younger generation this is what old people have been saying about the younger generation since the beginning of time. All your doing is repeating the cycle where you pretend your better than the people coming after you because you saw some silly news report about tie pods and suddenly you think you know everything about the younger generation. Your parents thought the same thing about your generation.

I do agree that life is work in one form or another which is why I don't think people not having jobs will ruin us.

There are other ways to work without having a job. For instance going to the gym and doing BJJ your working yourself towards goals physically. Having someone hand me money so I can continue living is one small aspect of life your to small minded and not thinking big enough. There's way more to life then your job. There's way more things that involve work and achieving something than having a job.

Also we don't have a scrounge of entitlement attitude in our younger generation this is what old people have been saying about the younger generation since the beginning of time. All your doing is repeating the cycle where you pretend your better than the people coming after you because you saw some silly news report about tie pods and suddenly you think you know everything about the younger generation. Your parents thought the same thing about your generation.

I do agree that life is work in one form or another which is why I don't think people not having jobs will ruin us.
1. There are other ways to work without having a job. For instance going to the gym and doing BJJ your working yourself towards goals physically - Agreed, doing such does involve work of a sprt but is a personal goal rather than a means of subsistence. No one is entitled to or should expect to be paid a living stipend simply to work out, develop their BJJ skills or hang out with their family. Now, if any of that is part of some service or product you are selling, sharing, etc then one might graciously say you are providing some tangible benefit to someone, anyone other than yourself. I personally might look at that as no different than the current Youtube careers some people enjoy. But that's hardly going to be the case with all the myriad people displaced by increased automation and either too old, too intellectually challenged or simply unsuited for higher education jobs such as programing and that will have their hands out for the funds to survive simply because they exist.

2. There's way more to life then your job - I agree, completely. Working merely to exist is a horrible existence and leads to stunted lives. The only real happiness is learning to balance both. Regardless of how much more there is to life, your mere existence doesn't entitle you to expect anyone else or your government to pay for the privilege of experiencing it.

3. Also we don't have a scrounge of entitlement attitude in our younger generation - Yeah, we actually do. More and more demands for increased subsidies or outright free services as if they are a right for simply being.

4. All your doing is repeating the cycle where you pretend your better than the people coming after you because you saw some silly news report about tie pods and suddenly you think you know everything about the younger generation. - No actually I could care less about Tide Pods. That doesn't make me think less of younger generations. My own and I'm sure my parents and grandparents, etc all had stupid things they did. Nor do I think my generation is necessarily better than the younger ones developing now. However I do believe that mine and those preceding mine are and were generally more polite, hard working, and self-sufficient.

5. Your parents thought the same thing about your generation - And compared to my parent's generation and their parent's they would be right as far as my generation being "weaker". They accomplished more as a nation than my own and were generally more self-sufficient and industrious. We as a whole are soft as a society and a nation. Entirely too worried about what others think, entirely too occupied with looking for places to lay blame and entirely too ready to tell others what they should believe, what they should think, what they should do all the while expecting others to tune into whatever vapid shit we care to post about our lives for public consumption.

ahoy Teppodama, long time no speak!

3. Also we don't have a scrounge of entitlement attitude in our younger generation - Yeah, we actually do. More and more demands for increased subsidies or outright free services as if they are a right for simply being.

which generation are you referring to?

i'm curious.

baby boomers, folks who are currently in their 50's and 60's (created by "the greatest generation") are the biggest proponents of entitlement spending, yes? are those the folks you're referring to?

4. Nor do I think my generation is necessarily better than the younger ones developing now. However I do believe that mine and those preceding mine are and were generally more polite, hard working, and self-sufficient.

it seems like you think your generation is better than the younger ones developing now.

5. Your parents thought the same thing about your generation - And compared to my parent's generation and their parent's they would be right as far as my generation being "weaker". They accomplished more as a nation than my own and were generally more self-sufficient and industrious.

does this mean that every successive generation is weaker than the one that preceded it?

We as a whole are soft as a society and a nation. Entirely too worried about what others think...

the exception would be the followers of President Trump - the POTUS has done a great deal to promote the virtue of doing and saying what one feels, and is not constrained by social niceties, right?

i mean, in this respect, he's leading the way.

- IGIT

Truth. I would find gardening a more rewarding form of labor then my job, minus the monetary benefit of course, and I fucking hate gardening.

ahoy Teppodama, long time no speak!

which generation are you referring to?

i'm curious.

baby boomers, folks who are currently in their 50's and 60's (created by "the greatest generation") are the biggest proponents of entitlement spending, yes? are those the folks you're referring to?

it seems like you think your generation is better than the younger ones developing now.

does this mean that every successive generation is weaker than the one that preceded it?

the exception would be the followers of President Trump - the POTUS has done a great deal to promote the virtue of doing and saying what one feels, and is not constrained by social niceties, right?

i mean, in this respect, he's leading the way.

- IGIT
1. ahoy Teppodama, long time no speak! - Yeah, it's been a bit. Hope you and yours have been doing well.

2. which generation are you referring to? Gen Y ( 1980-1994) and iGen/Gen Z (1995-2012)

baby boomers, folks who are currently in their 50's and 60's (created by "the greatest generation") are the biggest proponents of entitlement spending, yes? are those the folks you're referring to? The ones pandering for your votes? Yeah, them too.

3. It seems like you think your generation is better than the younger ones developing now. - In some ways I would say yes, in others I would say no.

4. Does this mean that every successive generation is weaker than the one that preceded it? - To a degree, yes. As we move further away from effort due to technological advancement I do believe we become weaker. With ease comes familiarity, with familiarity comes complacency and with complacency comes a loss of desire, will and effort. Now, not everything needs or should be a life or death struggle but it also shouldn't be spoon fed which is increasingly the direction we are taking with increased government nanny state oversite.

5. The exception would be the followers of President Trump - the POTUS has done a great deal to promote the virtue of doing and saying what one feels, and is not constrained by social niceties, right?

i mean, in this respect, he's leading the way. -
Interesting how you so quickly dovetailed into Trump comparisons when nothing I said had anything to do with Trump, conservatives, liberals or anything truly political other than I don't believe it's the governments job to pay you to live.

It's ok though, I understand its rough sometimes keeping the inner ideologue on a leash. Just makes me wonder what your ultimate aim is in this discussion. If you just want to trash Trump go ahead and do so. If you want to throw some salt on conservatives go ahead and do that as well. You don't need me speaking with you to do so.

hi again Teppodama,

1. ahoy Teppodama, long time no speak! - Yeah, it's been a bit. Hope you and yours have been doing well.

thanks!

i've been okie dokie. posting less, focusing a bit more on work of late.

2. which generation are you referring to? Gen Y ( 1980-1994) and iGen/Gen Z (1995-2012)

The ones pandering for your votes? Yeah, them too.

so many generations. i am a Gen Xer myself.

in some respects, the "most entitled generation award" would be a dual winner; the greatest generation, which imbued the baby boomers with a sensibility for massive expansions of safety net programs.

you can argue the virtue of this kind of Federal Spending, but its clear whose watch it occurred under.

3. It seems like you think your generation is better than the younger ones developing now. - In some ways I would say yes, in others I would say no.

your generation has the virtue of courtesy...its polite.

your generation also grasps the virtues of hard work, as opposed to those that followed, which you described as lazy.

your generation has a "pull itself by its own bootstraps" attitude, while those that followed aren't self sufficient.

you can understand why it seems to me that you feel yours is a mightier, "better", generation, aye?

4. Does this mean that every successive generation is weaker than the one that preceded it? - To a degree, yes. As we move further away from effort due to technological advancement I do believe we become weaker. With ease comes familiarity, with familiarity comes complacency and with complacency comes a loss of desire, will and effort. Now, not everything needs or should be a life or death struggle but it also shouldn't be spoon fed which is increasingly the direction we are taking with increased government nanny state oversite.

i don't think i agree with this.

with technology comes increased capacity, increased efficiency, and of course, increased possibility.

is someone in their 20's more complacent because he doesn't have to remove a record from its album cover, then extract the album from the dust cover, and then put his record on a turntable? does his ipod make him slothful?

is watching youtube somehow less virtuous than watching network television in the 1960's?

when i use my Uber app, instead of waiting around forever for a cab...am i being complacent? does this make me "soft"?

5. The exception would be the followers of President Trump - the POTUS has done a great deal to promote the virtue of doing and saying what one feels, and is not constrained by social niceties, right?

i mean, in this respect, he's leading the way. -
Interesting how you so quickly dovetailed into Trump comparisons when nothing I said had anything to do with Trump, conservatives, liberals or anything truly political other than I don't believe it's the governments job to pay you to live.

i don't think i dovetailed so quickly, lol. its the last thing i mentioned in my post, and the first time i've bought up the POTUS in this thread.

i was just ruminating on your description of these younger generations (and their deficiencies) and it occurred to me that Mr. Trump and his dogma line up pretty well with your sensibilities (in terms of not giving a damn what others think).

It's ok though, I understand its rough sometimes keeping the inner ideologue on a leash. Just makes me wonder what your ultimate aim is in this discussion. If you just want to trash Trump go ahead and do so. If you want to throw some salt on conservatives go ahead and do that as well. You don't need me speaking with you to do so.

don't be so sensitive, Tep! i just mentioned the POTUS in passing.

my general thought is that technology and automation are nothing to fear. my secondary thought is i found your POV on the heirachy of generational greatness interesting, and i wanted to ask you more about it.

EDIT: my final thought (and this winds its way back to the OP and the discussion you and Method were having) is that i think it would be pretty terrific if people who didn't want to work, didn't have to.

i mean, that would be the ideal.

i'd still work, but then again, my work is kinda like play - i enjoy it. many do not.

we only get a handful of decades to be alive. 60...70...80 years. a bit more if we're lucky, but that's it. then we get to be dead for eternity.

to have to spend this precious time working seems goofy to me. i mean, you're only here once (and not for that long), if technology, automation and AI could make it possible folks not to toil away to make ends meet, i think that would be a desirable outcome.

if you, Teppodama, could be freed from the burden of your job to pursue "things you'd do if there was only the time and money", would that be such a terrible thing?

- IGIT

Last edited:
hi again Teppodama,
thanks!

i've been okie dokie. posting less, focusing a bit more on work of late.
Good to read. We may not see eye to eye on things at times but you seem to be good people and even if it's purely artiface you present yourself amicably.
so many generations. i am a Gen Xer myself.

in some respects, the "most entitled generation award" would be a dual winner; the greatest generation, which imbued the baby boomers with a sensibility for massive expansions of safety net programs.

you can argue the virtue of this kind of Federal Spending, but its clear whose watch it occurred under.

Come on now, the country was coming back from a world war and much needed to be restructured given how many men never made it back home and left behind women and children that still needed assistance, especially given that it was during the period of the war and directly after when women truly stepped into the role of worker other than homemaker.

your generation has the virtue of courtesy...its polite.

your generation also grasps the virtues of hard work, as opposed to those that followed, which you described as lazy.

your generation has a "pull itself by its own bootstraps" attitude, while those that followed aren't self sufficient.

you can understand why it seems to me that you feel yours is a mightier, "better", generation, aye?
and the following generations have and will continue to have a much greater access to knowledge and will be the ones to push that knowledge farther.

Will eventually be the ones to further eliminate the illnesses, diseases and genetic flaws that plague us as species.

Etc... As I said, in some things I find the older generations superior and in others they are obviously lacking.

i don't think i agree with this.

with technology comes increased capacity, increased efficiency, and of course, increased possibility.

is someone in their 20's more complacent because he doesn't have to remove a record from its album cover, then extract the album from the dust cover, and then put his record on a turntable? does his ipod make him slothful?

is watching youtube somehow less virtuous than watching network television in the 1960's?

when i use my Uber app, instead of waiting around forever for a cab...am i being complacent? does this make me "soft"?
Why are records more valuable than mp3's? Why are records, cd's, cassette tapes, 8 tracks and the equipment that plays them more collectible than mp3's? Effort can impart worth through rarity, through skill requirement, through time investment, etc...

Automation offers cost savings and standardization.

The easier something is to acquire the easier it is to discard.

I don't consider there is any virtue in watching either.

Using your app make you no more soft than having someone call you cab. Rather facetious examples there you provided, but I believe you know that

i don't think i dovetailed so quickly, lol. its the last thing i mentioned in my post, and the first time i've bought up the POTUS in this thread.

i was just ruminating on your description of these younger generations (and their deficiencies) and it occurred to me that Mr. Trump and his dogma line up pretty well with your sensibilities (in terms of not giving a damn what others think).

don't be so sensitive, Tep! i just mentioned the POTUS in passing.
You did bring him up in our discussion first in all fairness. Not everything is about Trump or even tangential to Trump, or politics in general for that matter.

my general thought is that technology and automation are nothing to fear. my secondary thought is i found your POV on the heirachy of generational greatness interesting, and i wanted to ask you more about it.
I don't fear either. I just believe, and will continue to believe, that allowing either to cut the human out of the process is ultimately bad for us in the long run. The more we allow our technology to do and think for us, the less willing or capable of doing for ourselves we will be.

EDIT: my final thought (and this winds its way back to the OP and the discussion you and Method were having) is that i think it would be pretty terrific if people who didn't want to work, didn't have to.

i mean, that would be the ideal.

i'd still work, but then again, my work is kinda like play - i enjoy it. many do not.

we only get a handful of decades to be alive. 60...70...80 years. a bit more if we're lucky, but that's it. then we get to be dead for eternity.

to have to spend this precious time working seems goofy to me. i mean, you're only here once (and not for that long), if technology, automation and AI could make it possible folks not to toil away to make ends meet, i think that would be a desirable outcome.

if you, Teppodama, could be freed from the burden of your job to pursue "things you'd do if there was only the time and money", would that be such a terrible thing?

- IGIT
I have absolutely nothing against time saving technology. What I have a problem with is human replacing technology.

hullo again Teppodama,

Good to read. We may not see eye to eye on things at times but you seem to be good people and even if it's purely artiface you present yourself amicably.

*thumbs up*

Come on now, the country was coming back from a world war and much needed to be restructured given how many men never made it back home and left behind women and children that still needed assistance, especially given that it was during the period of the war and directly after when women truly stepped into the role of worker other than homemaker.

i wasn't really referring to the spending as it pertained to WW2 - i was pointing out that Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are the biggest entitlement programs in the US.

by far.

in a couple decades, spending on those three entitlement programs will eclipse the entire Federal budget. these programs predate GenY, Millennials, GenX, and they are immense. they are the P4P kings of entitlement programs...

...and they were conceived of long before the current crop of entitled youngsters existed.

that's all i'm saying.

and the following generations have and will continue to have a much greater access to knowledge and will be the ones to push that knowledge farther.

sure, but that doesn't make the younger generations better, in any way. it just means that they'll happen to be alive and working when the technological advances occur in their lifetimes, and they'll have the tools that are coupled with the era they live in.

all things being equal, don't you believe that we'd be far better off if we could have 1920's era americans living in today's age - and just jettison the current crop of folks under 30, since they are, as a whole, less polite - hard working - and self sufficient?

Why are records more valuable than mp3's? Why are records, cd's, cassette tapes, 8 tracks and the equipment that plays them more collectible than mp3's? Effort can impart worth through rarity, through skill requirement, through time investment, etc...

effort takes time, Tep. if we were still hunter/gatherers we'd be spending 70% of our waking hours gathering food.

cassette tapes were awful, btw. that's just my take on it ;).

Using your app make you no more soft than having someone call you cab. Rather facetious examples there you provided, but I believe you know that.

i wasn't trying to be facetious, though.

i'm trying to understand what you mean by folks being born in 2000 makes them soft, lazy and unlikely to be self sufficient. i assume - given the nature of the OP - you're referring to automation.

i no longer use a darkroom. i've completely forgotten how to process chrome transparency film, along with the color chemistry.

the processing work i outsourced, to people, no longer exists.

i now just have photoshop. so i no longer have to juggle bottles of potassium ferricyanide or acetic acid and toil for hours under a red bulb.

does that make IGIT soft?

- IGIT

Last edited:
Back