1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

What 10-8 round? Jan v Adesanya was close fight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by FIGHTING TALK, Mar 7, 2021.

1. FIGHTING TALK Black Belt

I don’t know why half of sherdog are reacting like it was a truly dominating performance.
    Until 2 minutes into the 4th round it was an even fight with Adesanya just pulling away in the striking.

Props to Jan for hitting his two takedowns and sealing the victory, but that was not convincing, Adesanya just does not have that wrestlers mentality and accepted bottom position even more easily than Conor did versus Khabib.

Adesanya arguably won the 1st & 3rd, and the 2nd was a close round too.
    Only the final two rounds were clear rounds.

jojoRed and Epicness like this.
  2. Epicness Black Belt

There were no 10-8 rounds, judges passing around the crack pipe per usual.

I really dont know why we pretend to be surprised anymore

3. vadrigar Yellow Card Yellow Card

Agreed 10-8 was nonsense.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    FIGHTING TALK likes this.
  4. Yagadot Purple Belt

I was surprised by the scorecards too. When they were announced that wide I thought it was rigged for Izzy.

5. MCS Duck down pause right

Maybe it's the downside to giving 10-8's more freely. Each round was 10-9.

Epicness likes this.
  6. M4R5 Blue Belt

It was a competitive fight, not a close fight.and yeah there shouldn’t have been a 10-8 round.

7. clackers Purple Belt

That was a very clear win for Jan.

He outstruck him every round took him down and controlled him.

The 10-8 was because Gyno was controlled on the ground held there and hit many times, give Jan the credit he deserves he had a great game plan and executed it well.

He could have taken Gyni down in any round but he was winning the stand up.

8. mmacrisis Brown Belt

MMA scoring is a total joke. They need to flip it around completely. You shouldn't start a fight with 50 points and lose 1 or 2 if you don't own a round. You should start with zero and earn them. Strikes, Takedowns, takedown attempts, submissions attempts, leg kids, pressure, etc etc.

9. Romo Gracie Orange Belt

Wtf have you been smoking? Blachowicz outlanded Adesanya 18 to 13 in Round 1, 23 to 21 in Round 2, 24 to 21 in Round 3, 14 to 11 in Round 4 and 28 to 12 in Round 5. And he took him down in two rounds, where Adeseeyalater did jack shit. Get your head out of Ades ass.

10. Me&MrJones Silver Belt

Well if you lay there for 3 minutes you clearly couldn't get up and was dominated.

11. nawyk White Belt

Watch the fight on mute and you will see the domination. Adesanya had nothing for Jan, standing or on the ground. He challenged Jan, came up, did nothing, lost. End of story. Now give Jan some respect.

DrTrouble and Bear Faced Liar like this.
  12. FIGHTING TALK Black Belt

So first of all, landing more “significant strikes” does not a round make. It’s down to the judges to interpret which striker was more effective, regardless of how many strikes land.
    Of course if it’s 40-2 or something one sided then it stands to reason the fighter who landed more wins the round, but nothing like that occured here.

Second, the final round was stood up for the first half of the round, where Adesanya was the aggressor, pressuring forward and mildly out striking Jan who was breathing out of his ass by this point and fighting to a stand still (Adesanya was also gassed but his movement was way more fluid compared with Blachowicz)
    A round should never be scored 10-8 against the guy who was winning the round until halfway through and was not in any serious trouble whatsoever at any point during the round (other than fatigue).

Lastly, I am not an Adesanya fan, his antics in his last fight were a disgrace. But Jan did very little in sum total during this fight to deserve a landslide decision, that’s barely up for debate. I’m just here to point out the group think on here which is disgusting, all you need to do is rewatch the fight to see how close it was. Razor close? No. But no landslide either.

13. asdda White Belt

Not too sure about the 10-8 round, but wouldnt have made a difference anyways. Adasanya has no business being in the cage with Jones, so he should probably stop calling him out. Very one dimensional indeed, would have liked romero to use wrestling in their match, would have been a slaughter

14. FIGHTING TALK Black Belt

I’ve watched the full fight twice now, once on mute.

Lmao at your interpretation of domination. Amazing buddy.

Jan spends the majority of the fight biding his time, biting on feints, being backed up and then trying to time a bum rush forward. Yes he lands his share of significant strikes but he certainly doesn’t outstrike Adesanya overall, not if we concentrate exclusively on the standup, it’s very close overall and Adesanya is the aggressor, initiating almost all of their exchanges.

At the point Adesanya got took down in round 4 he was arguably edging the fight.
    I don’t know what the judges were watching.

15. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

There was no 10-8 round but I had Jan winning 4-1. Most of the rounds were fairly close but with Jan clearly winning.

16. LegSpreader Banned Banned

I would agree that it was close up until the 3 minute mark of the 4th. After that Jan controlled the fight in every which way. I had absolutely no problem if the 4th and 5th would have been 10-8, as all izzy did was lay on his back. Granted I'm not an izzy homer so you should factor that in.

17. nawyk White Belt

Come on man, stop being so biased. Jan was landing clearly the better shots, Adesanya's head was popping all over the place, you could see he felt every punch, whereas most of what he landed on Jan was leg kicks. Jan also checked at least 50% of those leg kicks and blocked a lot of punches, was clearly the better striker. People don't understand that Blachowicz had a career as a muay thai fighter before he started mma, his stand up is underrated.

Bear Faced Liar likes this.
  18. sampuncher Red Belt

Jan won the last 2 clearly but neither were anywhere close to 10-8.

19. FIGHTING TALK Black Belt

Jan deserved the win.
    But there was no domination of any kind.
    I’m not even an Adesanya fan so no bias. Just didn’t see how Jan was getting props for being this amazing striker, which he really isn’t.

20. JohnnyIncognito White Belt

3 of the rounds were close.
    2 weren't.