What’s the psychology behind Jones not staring in opponent’s eyes?

Damn, Jones looks fucking huge in that pic with Machida.

Because he's a sociopath and this is part of him dismantling people in bloody heaps that were once proud fighters.

Thats some shit from being big brother’d by his his NFL siblings. They punked the shit outta Jon growing up, even when Jon learned wrestling in school. He’s not very good at the staring alpha part cause that imo.

It’s actually a mental technique in which it is said to expend too much energy posturing and staring down your opponent. You get too much in your own head. IMO Its more useful as you are about to fight, for example look at most of Aldo’s fights he is standing with his back against the cage and his head hanging down. It could be seen as conserving energy and explosiveness.

But that is just what I’ve been taught and have used in training over the years, and in my personal experience it has always helped my nerves before competing.

He also does this thing where he looks his opponent up and down like they are a piece of meat.

He's not naturally charismatic in the slightest. His pensive MMA guru schtick is obnoxiously forced.

He's still a bad motherfucker.

He said a few months ago it's because he doesn't want to give his opponent the chance to get an edge or psych him out before the fight.

He makes normal eye contact during normal interactions.
Don't read too much into prefight "staredowns." Different guys just have different rituals.

Some people just get very uncomfortable looking into people's eyes.

I read it as Jones saying to his opponent "I'm so much better than you that I can't even notice you're there"

Shame.

He's cheated in everyone one of his fights. Whether it's eye pokes or PED's he already knows it's not an equal fight and he's ashamed.

Last edited:
3rd page and no Rampage gif yet?

Boy, do I like that one...Rampage saw right through his act and make him look like a fool.

I think its a way of Jon showing like "I`m so above these guys, they are not even worthy of me staring them down". Classic narcissist.

Back