What’s the psychology behind Jones not staring in opponent’s eyes?

Well, i couldn't look my gf in the eyes when i cheated her, so...

You're leaving one important option out of your choices in the OP brother TS.... "Strategy"

There's a couple ways to look at it... whether psychologically or metaphysically. Either way... It throws the opponent's intent off. They're used to feeding off their opponents gaze... & putting a lot of energy into their gaze to psych out the opponent, but if he doesn't engage then psychologically that shuts them down... & metaphysically, he doesn't absorb your chaotic energy projections.

The metaphysics of energy exchange suggest that the energy of an intense person is actually absorbed by others as a natural function of them projecting. It's why nobody wants to be around a mad person. You get mad yourself. or if someone's nervous it could be that you could absorb that nervous energy. So looking away could be a method of protection so that you don't get caught up in their chaotic energy.

So Jones could be aware of this... & doing all he can to negate the projections of his opponent. Whether it's phsycological or metaphysical... or both though... it still serves the same purpose... to negate their enegy. negate their projection.... & so I don't think its some kind of Psychosis in Jones... I think it's just strategic.

Last edited:
It's because his opponents are beneath him in his mind, imo.

• There are more and some he does look but not much!

There are various reasons which I will display here and you pick what you think is fitting Jones’ behavior!
    Compounding the problem is the fact that we all have varying levels of comfort when it comes to locking eyes. ... Psychopathy, PTSD, and alexithymia (sometimes known as “emotional blindness”) are often associated with greater discomfort with eye contact. So are neuroticism, shyness, social anxiety, and autism.
    Which one is it?

• 104_jon_jones_and_chael_sonnen.0.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

jones_belfort.jpg

jon-jones-vs-vladimir-matyushenko-weigh-ins.jpg

mauricio-rua-jon-jones-ufc-128.jpg

There are more and some he does look but not much!

He's saying "you are not worthy."

maxresdefault.jpg

Does anyone else when mad get angrier when staring in the eyes of the person? Maybe this is it.

He doesn't want to risk getting intimidated. When he had the first stare down ever with Gus in 2013, he almost shat his pants.

Look how uncomfortable he got the moment he stared Gus in the eyes. Had to almost immediately back down, started to lift his eye brows and had that lost look in his eyes, which he always does when he feels nervous, doesn't fully control his hands when he puts the belt on his shoulders because his muscles are tense, literally holds his breathing and turns away when Gus makes a slight turn to him, and finally uses some akward dance move to get an escape.

And then he whooped Gus' ass twice

He doesn't want to risk getting intimidated. When he had the first stare down ever with Gus in 2013, he almost shat his pants.

Look how uncomfortable he got the moment he stared Gus in the eyes. Had to almost immediately back down, started to lift his eye brows and had that lost look in his eyes, which he always does when he feels nervous, doesn't fully control his hands when he puts the belt on his shoulders because his muscles are tense, literally holds his breathing and turns away when Gus makes a slight turn to him, and finally uses some akward dance move to get an escape.

I miss that Gus... Rip

it's his way of pretending like his opponent is unworthy I think.

Jones is just afraid his opponents might see him for who he really is, therefore he likes to avoid eye contact at all cost.

Simply because he is the best and he knows it, he feels it. A true genius doesn't fear his opponents, that's why Jones look THROUGH his opponents, like he is many levels above them...

Regular fighters will never understand this.

He just gets nervous at the pre fight stuff.

Because its only gay if you have eye contact

Maybe he's not gay. Also, it's wasted energy. It keeps you mentally focused and not emotional. Fedor and Saku also did this.

• There are more and some he does look but not much!

There are various reasons which I will display here and you pick what you think is fitting Jones’ behavior!
    Compounding the problem is the fact that we all have varying levels of comfort when it comes to locking eyes. ... Psychopathy, PTSD, and alexithymia (sometimes known as “emotional blindness”) are often associated with greater discomfort with eye contact. So are neuroticism, shyness, social anxiety, and autism.
    Which one is it?

• 104_jon_jones_and_chael_sonnen.0.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

jones_belfort.jpg

jon-jones-vs-vladimir-matyushenko-weigh-ins.jpg

mauricio-rua-jon-jones-ufc-128.jpg

There are more and some he does look but not much!

only people deserving eye contact are strippers

Back