What’s Rumble ceiling in the current light heavy weight division

I don’t believe anyone in the division have good enough wrestling to make him crumble or good enough hands to stop him and sees him becoming the new champ......I thinks he would destroy Reyes and Santos in the first round and could take the belt from Jan who I’m still not sold on

#1 contender or champion depending on whos holding the belt when he returns , ...

Elite, but not good enough to ever be champion. Has always been a pretty weak grappler & we've seen him legit quit in the cage. Scary KO power, but not well-rounded enough to ever be the champion.

That was in the era of Cormier and prime Jones, though.

I don't believe for one second Rumble desires to rumble. I think he has zero passion for the sport as a whole and as such will beat the weak via natural ability and everyone else sits him down this time around.

The Arlovski fight was at HW, prior to his 205 run in the UFC, no?
But then even during that time he's cutting from 230 to make 205, which is quite significant for someone who is naturally pretty big without going bulk mode.

Dunno how much he weighs now but he might need to cut way more than just 25lbs to make the 205 limit, if he could make it safely at all...

Can he still even make 205 at this point? He's gotten huge asf during his off season and even before his phase his in-cage weight was close to 230 or something (or something close to that; in the Arlovski fight).

If not, who in the LHW division is close to Cormier in the grappling department?

Someone posted some pics of his Instagram last week. He's not huge anymore, looks back to normal.

Someone posted some pics of his Instagram last week. He's not huge anymore, looks back to normal.
Oh that's good news then.
He must have been just lifting heavy in order to train his CNS for strength gains or something.

Assuming he comes back somewhat in form, then he can ktfo anybody who stands with him.

Reactions: mkt
Probably top 5.. maybe champ is he is as good as when he left which I really doubt.

He is getting there in age and bulked up to 285lbs at some point.

I feel Rumble is coming back for a cheque ....if he put in an effort against DC with the belt on the line ....I doubt he’ll be motivated to climb up the rankings

He knew DC was eventually going to take him down and was his nightmare opponent stylistically. I agree that trying to beat Cormier at his own game was his worst possible game plan, but don't assume he'll wrestle or use idiotic gameplans against other strikers. That's his strength.

yea tell that to the guy who was choked out by Josh Koscheck

And the guy who demolished Bader in a minute and Glover in 13 seconds...and also stuffed Phil Davis' TDs easily and beat him decisively. Using a weird fight from 10 years ago where Rumble starved himself to WW and Kos appeared to fake an eyepoke (that changed the direction of the fight aftewards) is really weak. Yeah, Rumble has an issue with getting RNC'd when he gasses later in a fight. But who besides Cormier did that to him at LHW?

He knew DC was eventually going to take him down and was his nightmare opponent stylistically. I agree that trying to beat Cormier at his own game was his worst possible game plan, but don't assume he'll wrestle or use idiotic gameplans against other strikers. That's his strength.
I assume he’ll mentally quit at the first sign of adversity

Won't know for sure till he comes back. The quickness in which he left, makes me question his interest and love for the sport, which is going to effect his performance. He'll be thrown into the mix of the top tier guys, and might be in for a rude awakening.

How many years has it been? You guys know the stats on athletes that retire/return after a long absence right? It ain't pretty. And that isn't even factoring in athletes that goes through massive weight changes while running a weed farm or whatever it was. Don't want to be a pessimist, but the Rumble of old might not come back man.

Reactions: mkt
I don’t believe anyone in the division have good enough wrestling to make him crumble or good enough hands to stop him and sees him becoming the new champ......I thinks he would destroy Reyes and Santos in the first round and could take the belt from Jan who I’m still not sold on
Imagine izzy vs Rumble

I think you could argue part of it is Rumble doesnt respond so well to pressure standing either, the current LHW scene(even Jones if he returned) does seem very striking focused but I don't think its impossible if someone really puts the pressure on standing for a round or two and survives that Rumble will fold.

Back