What’s more important? Height or reach?

Kaiokenrye24

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Which is more important in striking? Max

Holloway is usually taller than his opponent but when he fought Poirier he was giving up 3 inches of reach
Cody is an inch and a half taller than TJ but gives that up in reach
Tony will have 3.5 inches of reach on Cowboy but will be 2 inches shorter

You answered your question already.

Neither

images

Which is more important in striking? Max

Holloway is usually taller than his opponent but when he fought Poirier he was giving up 3 inches of reach
Cody is an inch and a half taller than TJ but gives that up in reach
Tony will have 3.5 inches of reach on Cowboy but will be 2 inches shorter

Cowboy isnt a legitimately 6'1. I thought we learned never to rely on UFC's height listing as legitimate

Cowboy is 5'11 just like Ferguson. Nate is only 6'0 and u can clearly see he's taller then Cowboy even when he's looking down. You'll see during the face offs Tony and Cowboy are same height. gettyimages-136249982-612x612.jpg diaz-cerrone-141prepc.jpg

For hands i think you need reach. If you have a good kicking game like Cowboy, its fair game.

Hate to sound like Joe Rogan here lol, but its true reach isnt the same in MMA because of kicks. Cowboy can make up for his reach deficit.

But those are only 2 fights though
Ok, the true is... it doesn't matter if you are taller or have a reach advantage if you can't use it, capitalize it.
Once more, styles make matches and abilities rise the chance to get the W.
Look at DC or Tyson, they didn't have the biggest reach, nor were they bigger... but they have the style and the abilities to counter bigger fighter with reach advantage.

So, being bigger is very good, having a reach advantage is also very good... but if your opponent can counter this... it does not matter.

Right off the bat I'd favor reach, but it would be nice to have solid data.

Would you rather have Strive height with wandalei arms or DC with Jon Jones reach?

For hands i think you need reach. If you have a good kicking game like Cowboy, its fair game.

Hate to sound like Joe Rogan here lol, but its true reach isnt the same in MMA because of kicks. Cowboy can make up for his reach deficit.
Sorry to break it to you, but arm reach is highly correlated to leg reach.

To answer your question OP. Reach is not really important until you get to 4+ inch difference.

Remember that the actual reach advantage is actually half of that, and then you remove the hands measurement, which comes up at 7-8" more.

Sorry to break it to you, but arm reach is highly correlated to leg reach.

To answer your question OP. Reach is not really important until you get to 4+ inch difference.

Remember that the actual reach advantage is actually half of that, and then you remove the hands measurement, which comes up at 7-8" more.

Do you have any proof of this? I've known people with short arms and long legs and vice versa.

You still need reach for kicks. Leg reach. Some people are all torso and not much legs.

Back