What’s Mexico City Like

it's honestly a country until itself. it's surrounded by mountains, thus why the air is so terrible. no place for the smog to exit. to me, it's a city where you really need to know someone who lives there. one block can be mansions and top-of-the-line shops and restaurants. and the following block can be full of homeless people and rampant crime. you have to know your neighborhoods, and when and where to walk around, even during the day.

it's safe if you stay in the touristy areas, but in a place that huge with that many people, you never know.

Other than the mountains, this sounds disturbingly similar to Baltimore.

IMO Mexico is more friendly and welcoming than my experiences in Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, and Peru

People are more reserved in South america, people from Brazil are especially flaky

Honestly I don't know much about Mexico city. Is the real estate relatively cheap?

Used to be really nice in the 70s 80s now all my friends that go back say its turned into a total shithole.

I've been to Tijuana and surrounding areas, never been South of that.

A girl that I know was kidnapped in Mexico City. No bullshit. This was a year ago, the girl is my friend's sister who was 24 at the time. She went by herself, with no local guide. She was comfortable doing this as she had been to Mexico twice during college. On her second night in Mexico an alarm was pulled in her hotel and a man ushered her outside. She believed he was with the hotel. She and an older Mexican woman were put in a car and driven to a building where they were passed on to men who locked them in a windowless room. The kidnappers took her cell phone but missed the older woman's phone. The older woman called her son who is a Federale that told her to stay on the call and hide the phone.

Police traced the phone, triangulated its location, and rescued both women. Mexican officials told the girl that she got lucky as she was either going to be ransomed and /or most likely sold for sex and never seen again as being an American with blonde hair and green eyes made her "worth more". She was taken to the US Embassy and cut her trip short; returning to the US. The craziest thing is that she still wanted to return to Mexico, treating this as a rare occurrence, not really grasping the gravity of almost being sold into sexual slavery.

Screw that. Bad shit happens everywhere but this is the only person that I know who's been kidnapped.

Never been to Mexico City... But I have been all over the Baha Peninsula. There's so many things I love about that place. The culture, the (Good) People, the food, the beaches.

And sadly, it's all out-shadowed by the rampant crime and corruption. I took every precaution one can take last time I went south of the border and got robbed by the fucking police.

I'll pass on Mexico. Likely for the rest of my life, or until that country gets its shit together.
Baha peninsula is WAY different than Mexico City, different culture, climate ,food in some ways really everything.

I like it all over baha Norte and Sur, but I have family there so..

went there a few years ago with a co-worker of mine.

fantastic place mix of old and new architecture - food was amazing.

Not bad. I knew a guy who was hired to be a bodyguard for a kid. She ended up getting kidnapped and he almost got killed. After he recovered, he tried to track down the culprits and traced it back to the kids dad. He admitted it was set up and ended up killing himself. Anyway. My boy found the guys and in exchange for the kids safety, he gave up his own life to the kidnappers. Never heard from him again.

Not bad. I knew a guy who was hired to be a bodyguard for a kid. She ended up getting kidnapped and he almost got killed. After he recovered, he tried to track down the culprits and traced it back to the kids dad. He admitted it was set up and ended up killing himself. Anyway. My boy found the guys and in exchange for the kids safety, he gave up his own life to the kidnappers. Never heard from him again.

<{fry}>

It’s full of Mexicans
giphy.gif

It's a mix of very wealthy and very poor. Some of our relatives live there and when we visit they do not let us go anywhere without their body guard. Make of that what you will. :p

I've been to Tijuana and surrounding areas, never been South of that.

A girl that I know was kidnapped in Mexico City. No bullshit. This was a year ago, the girl is my friend's sister who was 24 at the time. She went by herself, with no local guide. She was comfortable doing this as she had been to Mexico twice during college. On her second night in Mexico an alarm was pulled in her hotel and a man ushered her outside. She believed he was with the hotel. She and an older Mexican woman were put in a car and driven to a building where they were passed on to men who locked them in a windowless room. The kidnappers took her cell phone but missed the older woman's phone. The older woman called her son who is a Federale that told her to stay on the call and hide the phone.

Police traced the phone, triangulated its location, and rescued both women. Mexican officials told the girl that she got lucky as she was either going to be ransomed and /or most likely sold for sex and never seen again as being an American with blonde hair and green eyes made her "worth more". She was taken to the US Embassy and cut her trip short; returning to the US. The craziest thing is that she still wanted to return to Mexico, treating this as a rare occurrence, not really grasping the gravity of almost being sold into sexual slavery.

Screw that. Bad shit happens everywhere but this is the only person that I know who's been kidnapped.

holy shit. that chick is nuts lol.

Back