Westside for Skinny Bastards

farmboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just recently started this workout schedule and was wondering if anyone else one this forum has had a lot of success with it. I admit, comparably, I'm probably the "skinny bastard" that is referred to in the title. I'm about 5'10'' and haven't been able to break the 175 barrier. I've been within the same 5lb flux since about 1996. My biggest thing is that there are a lot of younger kids that I train with that are in football/hockey/wrestling/etc. that are just plain stronger than me, as well as guys that are older than me that are like bodybuilder strong.

I guess I'm just asking if anyone else on the forum has actually used this particular workout schedule to any success. And, if so, if they can recommend any particular techniques that may work better than the others.

its set up for an athlete doing a lot of extra "leg work" e.g. drills, sprints, etc...

That works, then. I just strated Guerilla Cardio on alternate days, so hopefully it'll work out. Thanks for the replies.

my advice is lift heavy and eat like a fat person. do your whole body including abs and lower back.dont forget about your legs and your back.

farmboy said:
[...] as well as guys that are older than me that are like bodybuilder strong.
"bodybuilder strong" ?? explain

confused. cannot compute.

error.

error.

error.

re-booting in safe mode.

Well, I think I made an incorrect comparison, and apologize for that. Let's put it this way, the guys are just plain stronger than I am, most likely due to the fact that they have been strength training for much longer, or more effectively, than I have.

farmboy said:
That works, then. I just strated Guerilla Cardio on alternate days, so hopefully it'll work out. Thanks for the replies.

In the updated version of the workout, he gives a cardio/agility workout. Why not stick with that?

The workout is for athletes, so it presumes alot of practice, drills etc. If you aren't doing alot of additional cardio, there are probably better routines for increasing strength/size. Guerilla Cardio seems like a pretty solid routine, but it is alot less work than the article presumes.

I started supplementing the Guerilla Cordio with a burpee conditioning routine I found by Ross Enamait. It wears me out pretty well, especially in conjunction with the Gruerilla. But, what would you suggest as a better workout to gain size/strength? Obviously I'm not in school or university anymore, so you are right about not doing the drills, practices, etc... that that would entail.

Someone already mentioned it but diet is vitally important. You should be eating every 2-3 hours and making sure you get some protein in pretty much every one of those meals.

Yeah, I need to buck up on using some protein supplements. I tried using it with a recipe I made for pancakes to get a little extra protein in the morning, while still keeping my son happy.

Funkster said:
Someone already mentioned it but diet is vitally important. You should be eating every 2-3 hours and making sure you get some protein in pretty much every one of those meals.

Yeah, but the natural skinny is a tenacious enemy to vanquish. I know. I eat a lot and I never gain weight. The highest I ever got was 158 I believe, and that was probabbly after a big meal (I am either 5 foot 9 or 10). This past week I have been overeating quite a bit, eating 4-5 times a day, enough so that it hurets each time (not really trying to gain, I jsut felt like eating), and I am the same as before. I am at the point where I cannot afford to eat any more, and I don't ahve the time to eat any more. About the only way I get size is through a body building sort of routine, heavy lifting, cutting down on cardio and of course combined with massive over eating, and then it is only muscle mass basically, and it comes slow. So if you are like me, I say don't worry about getting bigger because it is not going to happen. Worry about getting stronger, faster, more agile, more tecnical, more explosive, all that toher stuff. Take advantage of your body type and leanr how to use it. Be lighter, strong and faster than the heavier guys.

This post isn't really directed at the thread starter but rather the guys who say you need to get huge if you are skinny. It might be nice, but it is not necesary for performance in sports or for lifting heavy things. I cannot comment on the Westside routine in question.

Yeah, having the extra size isn't as important to me than the strength, but it would be nice not to get bowled over by the massive guys. 220 lbs+. To me that's massive.

muerteverde said:
Yeah, but the natural skinny is a tenacious enemy to vanquish. I know. I eat a lot and I never gain weight. The highest I ever got was 158 I believe, and that was probabbly after a big meal (I am either 5 foot 9 or 10). This past week I have been overeating quite a bit, eating 4-5 times a day, enough so that it hurets each time (not really trying to gain, I jsut felt like eating), and I am the same as before. I am at the point where I cannot afford to eat any more, and I don't ahve the time to eat any more. About the only way I get size is through a body building sort of routine, heavy lifting, cutting down on cardio and of course combined with massive over eating, and then it is only muscle mass basically, and it comes slow. So if you are like me, I say don't worry about getting bigger because it is not going to happen. Worry about getting stronger, faster, more agile, more tecnical, more explosive, all that toher stuff. Take advantage of your body type and leanr how to use it. Be lighter, strong and faster than the heavier guys.

This post isn't really directed at the thread starter but rather the guys who say you need to get huge if you are skinny. It might be nice, but it is not necesary for performance in sports or for lifting heavy things. I cannot comment on the Westside routine in question.

Genuine question, do you take a multivitamin/ extra vitamin C?

I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. I've actually had a doctor say that's it's a waste to take vitamins. Apparently, he has a flawless diet. I, unfortunately, am not so lucky.

Yeah, I was meaning taking vitamins is a good idea.

I'm tiny, and struggle putting on weight, the only time I ever put on any appreciable mass there was certain factors I was unsure what helped, my diet has always been okay, lift 3 times a week etc, I ended up asking myself what was different about the time when I put weight on, I realised that was when I was regularly taking vitamins. Now I'm back on them and putting on weight again, thankfully.

A couple of points that helped me come to this decision;
Take Extra Vitamin C

Unless you have been living under a rock for the last half century, than you probably already know that Vitamin C has a positive effect on our immune system. There always seems to be mainstream media coverage on how this wonder vitamin can help you fight off the dreaded cold. Yes, the immune system boosting properties of Vitamin C are one of the reason?s why I recommend its use but there is a lot more to this vitamin than what they tell you on TV. One very important benefit to Vitamin C is the effects that it has on cortisol levels. Cortisol is a catabolic hormone and is one that you want to minimize in your body. Its job is to breakdown valuable muscle tissue and increase fat storage. Sounds good if you want to be fat and weak! Vitamin C has been shown to reduce cortisol production. If that?s not enough it has also been shown to increase the powerlifter?s favorite hormone?TESTOSTERONE! Now I have your attention don?t I? Yes, Vitamin C has shown to not only keep the ?Cortisol Monster? at bay but at the same time it has a positive effect on testosterone levels as well. One important function of vitamin C is in the formation and maintenance of collagen. This is the basis of connective tissue, which is found in skin, ligaments, cartilage, vertebral discs, joint linings, capillary walls, and your bones and teeth. Taking extra Vitamin C when going through a pre contest powerlifting cycle is an excellent idea to help your body repair and recover from all the stress you put upon it. These are just a few of the many reasons why powerlifters need to supplement with extra Vitamin C.

And

Take a Multi Vitamin and Mineral Formula

During times of hard strenuous training the body needs optimal amounts of micronutrients. These are your fat and water soluble vitamins, major minerals, trace minerals and electrolytes. These micronutrients even though small in their dosages are very important for you performance and strength. Taking a multi vitamin and mineral pack is essential in making sure that you don?t have any deficiencies in any of the above categories. Optimal intake of vitamins and minerals are essential for life. If a deficiency occurs, the body will not function optimally which can lead to illness and even death in severe cases. Vitamins act as co-enzymes which perform many roles and functions in our body. They work as catalysts to release energy from the foods that we consume. Minerals play a role in many processes. These include muscular contractions, fluid regulation, the production of energy, nerve transmission and protein metabolism. Do you remember the last time you cramped up at your competition after you weighed in? That most likely was caused by an electrolyte imbalance due to your method of losing water weight so close to the competition. Not taking a multi vitamin and mineral formula as a strength athlete is like driving a race car without a seat belt.

Both taken from articles by Anthony Ricciuto. I agree with them, I just wish I'd taken vitamins more seriously like, 4 years ago. Well actually I wish I'd always taken them seriously, but particularly for when I first started training.

Back