West Coast vs East Coast BJJ

physicaltherapy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I heard in passing that West Coast guys are really good with the gi vs East Coast guys who are more phenominal nogi. Is there any truth to this?

I'm from the East coast and I definitely prefer nogi and am more comfy with it.

Discuss.

Shadowdean said:
Don't make me kill Tupac!!! :p

lol

I dont think it matters man. Im East coast, and i love the gi.. only train no-gi 3-4 times a month. Especially right now in the winter.. last thing i want is a ripe elbow from being to cold when i rolled, the gi helps my joints and body stay warm. Also keeps sweat exchange much lower, resulting in less Ringworm and other mat crap.

People are always trying to make seperations to be able to say one is better than the other.. This is just another example...

Gsoares2 said:
lol

I dont think it matters man. Im East coast, and i love the gi.. only train no-gi 3-4 times a month. Especially right now in the winter.. last thing i want is a ripe elbow from being to cold when i rolled, the gi helps my joints and body stay warm. Also keeps sweat exchange much lower, resulting in less Ringworm and other mat crap.

People are always trying to make seperations to be able to say one is better than the other.. This is just another example...

True....

Oh yeah.....Don't mention the R word ever again!!! I'm paranoid about that shit!!!!

I got it. It was no fun to have ringworm. It took like a week to clear up.

physicaltherapy said:
Oh yeah.....Don't mention the R word ever again!!! I'm paranoid about that shit!!!!

That's why GI training rules!!! Especially West Coast GI training!!!

JUST KIDDING. I DID NOT REALLY SAY THAT. I AM NOT CONTRIBUTING TO THIS ARBITRARY WEST VS. EAST BATTLE, NOR DO I EVEN WANT TO COME CLOSE TO YET ANOTHER GI VS. NO-GI THREAD.

But for the record, I DO like the extra "protection" from sweat and junk that the gi offers.

I just though us west coast guys were better at both... :)

Really I don't think it matters. Maybe they just say that cause we have more brazilian black belts over here so we have a lot of quality gi training. Really though, I don't think it matters, it's probably a more school to school thing than an east coast west coast thing.

Eaaast Siiiide!!

Yeah it's more of an instructor/school thing rather than a geographical thing.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Yeah it's more of an instructor/school thing rather than a geographical thing.

Quiet NUTKICKER!!! HAHAAH J/K

Im no expert but a few friends of mine have visited from the NJ/NY area and when I rolled with them I did notice a style difference from guys Ive rolled with here. Ive also heard the same from a few people who have competed back east or rolled with guys from there. But then again it could have just been the instructors/schools.

Yeah prob instuctors and schools.. i rolled with some guy at the gym an hour away from mine.. different style.

muaythaifolife said:
Quiet NUTKICKER!!! HAHAAH J/K

I'm so sorry about that! For some reason, you're the guy that I keep accidentally hurting in one way or another (accidental neck cranks, broken toe, scar on forehead, kick in nuts).

In any case, you're improving really quick and should be kicking my old ass around in another 6 months.

the only thing i can think of as far as nogi v. gi by geography, is that you might find more/better nogi grapplers in areas that traditionally produce good wrestlers (ie the midwest and select other states) just because lots of people in those areas get good and have good training partners for wrestling and then those skills transfer a little more to nogi than they do for gi (not at all arguing that wrestling can't be applied to bjj with the gi)

east coast v west coast i don't know about though
rip big haha

Well, no offence to east guys of course, but LA is considered by many to be the center of BJJ outside of Brazil. I personally dont know too much about the gi vs no gi (props to you for making a single topic inciting arguments on both subjects btw :p) but I think that on that front it is pretty much even, California putting out some pretty damn good guys along with the East coast.

Back