West Coast/East Coast cultures

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I was born and raised in San Jose, about an hour south of SF. My wife was born and raised about an hour south of Philly. We both grew up in suburbs.

We visit her hometown 2-3x a year. Her family always asks about how different it must feel to me to be in East Coast culture. I usually play along and share the subtle differences I notice like referring to a type of sandwich as a sub vs a hoagie, or different but similar brands of food at the grocery store. But all-and-all where we grew up is very similar (her town is a little more conservative, mine a little more liberal).

Now I've been to New York City and difference are a little more striking, but a suburb on the west is like a suburb on the east. But I was feeling something different that I've noticed every time I've been there but could never quite place it. I finally realized what it was: the neighborhood.

Everyone in the neighborhood knows each other. Where I'm from, you know your immediate neighbors and the people across the street. In her neighborhood, We'd walk for blocks and blocks and she'd know everyone in every house just about.

When we went to dinner the restaurant was filled to the brim. The bar area was standing room only. But when we entered like 20 people greeted her family with hugs and by name.

When we went to the bank the teller knew not only many of the people in line by name, but asked about their children by name.

I went for a beard trim at the Barber shop. As I was waiting people would walk in and everyone would greet them. On more than one occasion one of the barbers would say, "You here for a cut" and the patron would say "No. just stopping by" or "just hanging out."

It's not like she lives in a small town. There's no way she knows everyone in town, but the neighborhood knows each other. It's nice. Never experienced anything like it where I live.

grew up In New Jersey, close to Manhattan and for us, it is indeed "a small world"

not only do entire neighborhoods know everyone....but everyone here knows everyone in the vicinity within a couple of degrees
without fail, if i go to a get together and meet some new people from our general area, we will know their relatives or friends of theirs

whenever i ve been on vacation out of state or overseas and met someone from my area of NJ, we always ended up knowing common people

when i have these conversations with my brother in law from the bay area, he said he notices the same thing about our east cost "Closeness"

Im from the Bay Area also and everybody knows everybody in my town
Maybe youre just an unlikable asshole TS

People on the east coast can't mind their own business. The west coast is the goat coast. We just say chillax brah.

Im from the Bay Area also and everybody knows everybody in my town
Maybe youre just an unlikable asshole TS

People do seem to start whispering every time I enter a room.

I'm here on the west coast of Canada in Vancouver and over here very few neighbors know each other. Outside of two neighbors i cant say i would be able to recognize the rest. I dont think this is uncommon either and it could be that we have long rainy winters and short summers so people dont really go outside of their home to explore the neighborhood.

Dosn't matter the coast... we each have our level of stupidity
original.jpg sagz-jeansjpg-c4e774509e3a97cb.jpg sagz-jeansjpg-c4e774509e3a97cb.jpg

I have lived on both coast. They are about the same. The east and west both have nice places and bad. The people are the same for the most part. People in the LA area are pretty fake . Its a pretty crummy city. San Diego is nice, cool peeps.. Washington is nice as is most of northern and central cali. I didnt notice much of a difference in people though. NY has a lot of transplants from the west Coast and San Diego had a lot from the east so it all kind of mixed together for me.

I would hate to be that friendly with my neighbors

I would hate to be that friendly with my neighbors

PAC, you strike me as a dude that would gladly like to see 99% of the world's population disappear.

Really with the east coast there is a striking difference between people in the north and people in the south. That said, there are so many transplants now a days that it really doesn't matter where you live. Unless you're in a small town, all the big cities have people from all over in them.

It's weird. I'm an east coaster, and where I live now in the suburbs is nothing like where I lived growing up in the city.

I honestly couldn't tell you my neighbors first names currently. And we only go as far as exchanging polite waves.

In contrast, as a kid in the city. I knew everyone on the block. Whole families by first names. You had to.

I think every area has it's own thing. Mention beach life to me and Cali pops up before Florida. Mention City life and New York is number one in my mind before LA. Say Southern living and I think Texas before Alabama. Hell, I live in CT, but if you say New England, I think Mass. or Rhodey.

Depends on what part of each coast.
Grew up on the east, and live in the west. The west where I'm at now is not like Cali at all. Nobody up here is super chill like down in Cali, and not as friendly as the east where I grew up.

Depends on what part of each coast.
Grew up on the east, and live in the west. The west where I'm at now is not like Cali at all. Nobody up here is super chill like down in Cali, and not as friendly as the east where I grew up.
Are you in PNW? maybe there is something to my theory that our long rainy seasons keep neighbors indoors

Growing up in Southern Cali we knew all of our neighbors, and I was friends with all the neighborhood kids.

Nowadays we're wary of our neighbors and generally don't want to get too familiar with anyone. Seems like most people around here are alcoholics, meth addicts, and just shitty shitty shitbags in general.

Back