Were You Nervous Buying Your First House?

I was overconfident.

Buying a house is like raw sex. You get in there and it’s all good. Then after the deed is done you lay back and realize that there’s a lot to take care of now and you can’t do it by yourself.
In this analogy is the raw sex just with a consenting, long term partner?
Cos you make it sound like it's raw sex with a reluctant prostitute who doesn't survive the act.

Yes, always then after about 2/3 months you adjust to the new normal. Now if you start having problems with the house right off the bat then it'll suck.

To the TS, I bought my first house by myself in like Dec 2009 which right in the guts of the mortgage and financial systems collapse. I was highly liquid
So I got a real good deal on both finance and the actual property. So I was nervous about the potential impact to my job, but felt good I was getting a bottom of the market deal and that my city's and the world's financials would turn around. Which they did real shortly afterwards and I sold for a very nice profit.

The second house was much more stressful. The area we were buying in was highly competitive and the average listing time was 5 days. Most places were selling at the first home open (typically on Saturday afternoon here). Real estate agents were writing up offers on the boot of their cars out front and shit. That is a hugely stressful environment in which to buy a place because you feel rushed. Still we played the game and viewed a house and made a sunset offer that day and it got accepted.
It worked out just fine and I love where we live. The only problem is that my street is a little busier than I thought it would be in the morning commute /school drop off windows. Because of the whole being rushed thing I didn't get to spend a tonne of time in the area at all different times which is something I'd really recommend to ensure you know the character of the area.

Still it's ok, no remorse here. In fact we recently spend 300k renovating the house and yard so we must really love it!

In this analogy is the raw sex just with a consenting, long term partner?
Cos you make it sound like it's raw sex with a reluctant prostitute who doesn't survive the act.
Wait they're supposed to consent?

I ended up buying the first house I saw but saw about 9.
It’s weird buying a house all this stress and wondering if you will get it, then on closing day u sign some shit that no one reads and they hand you keys and it’s over .

Don’t be scared homie it’s worth it

You'd have reason to be nervous if you bought a dirt cheap foreclosure house where armed angry local goons beat the shit out of you and shoot you and want the house back without paying for it. I think this pretty much happened in Maui or Big Island.

Also be nervous about ghosts, if someone died there, undetected structural problems, sinkholes, ability to pay the mortgage if economy or employer shut down.

Why do people think that renting is bad?

It's lost money.

And you get a better place for less money. My mortgage payment for my flat is £440, to rent the same flat would cost me £850.

I bought a cardboard box once. Was nervous as hell. You should come see it sometime

I've never been through the process of buying a house even though I've been a homeowner twice.

On the first occasion, my first wife already owned her house when I met her. And on the second occasion, my father in law bought my wife & I our house when we got married last June. Which just entailed a deed transfer.

But, yeah, I imagine if I had gone through the process of looking at properties, choosing one, getting the loan, making the offer... All of that sounds very stressful to me. I'd be a nervous wreck too.

At first looking at houses is exciting but after you keep losing out on the ones you like it becomes a chore. The features started to blend together and I couldn't remember what house was which. I ended up getting a good one though and I'm happy with it. Bought at the bottom in 09 and its almost tripled.

Not really, but then I'm a builder so I know the game.

I went for the edge of a shitty neighborhood next to old people. I reckon I viewed maybe a dozen at most. In a town near my parents farm and with good road links to wife's work. I was still marvelling at it being my place 6yrs later.

My next move however was incredible, stressful of course as I gutted the building and rearranged walls etc before fitting up and moving in. We had 2 mortgages for 6 months which was painful and I did nothing else for 3 months. Nailed it though, beautiful house to live in, simple and spacious in a really nice area. Neighbors are all great. In 7yrs in the last place half my neighbours didn't even look at me. The new place I was shaking hands and learning names the first day. It was awesome.

Low commute distance is a must, that time spent driving mounts up over the years and you never get it back.

I was nervous for about a day when I put the earnest money down to secure the lot, but after that I was mostly just excited.

Bought my first house with the help of my parents when I was 18. I guess I wasn’t really worried because my payment was only 400 a month. Lived in that house a couple years and sold it for my downpayment on the house I currently live in.

No, but I was pretty burnt-out by closing. There was a lien on the place since the previous owner skipped town and stopped paying his water bill and association fees. He gave his mom power-of-attorney and neither she nor the listing agent knew just how big of a mess it was. It took forever to get the title cleared and everyone paid off and happy.

:cool: Buying a home is a big decision and probably the biggest amount of money that most people spent in their lives.

Were you nervous when you bought your first house?

How many did you have to look at and how long did you have to look around?
Right after you bought it did you feel any buyers remorse or anything?
Did you have to go with a long commute to work?

I'm in the process at the moment just looking around so was just looking to see what other people's experiences were.

Definitely some.
Moreso relieved.
It was a shortsale that the bank dicked around on and (unnecessarily) made it take forfuckingever

It's lost money.

And you get a better place for less money. My mortgage payment for my flat is £440, to rent the same flat would cost me £850.

Depends on your location

No. Buying a house is a pain in the ass. But it isn’t nerve racking. It’s just tedious.

Maybe that’s because I bought my first home when the market bottomed out. There was no way it wasn’t going to be a good investment. And it was. I sold it 4 years later for a grip of money.

Not nervous. Was working out of town in NM and mrs fett called to tell me that when I returned home that we were moving. I didn't even know we were looking to move. Lol

Back