Were You Nervous Buying Your First House?

Simple Southerner

Etriviere By Hermes Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
:cool: Buying a home is a big decision and probably the biggest amount of money that most people spent in their lives.

Were you nervous when you bought your first house?

How many did you have to look at and how long did you have to look around?
Right after you bought it did you feel any buyers remorse or anything?
Did you have to go with a long commute to work?

I'm in the process at the moment just looking around so was just looking to see what other people's experiences were.

Yes. And the fear of the mortgage payment forced us into buying a lesser house. It all worked out as we made a killing selling it; but for a just one or two hundred more a month we could have had a really nice place.
That said don’t go crazy and overbuy you’re income.

I really wasn't that worried. I prayed a lot about it and The Lord gave me guidance.

I'm not preaching at ya'll, just telling my story.

No didn't think about it, had spent 15 odd years renting, I could have owned a house by then

Same as renting only you get to stay in the same place for longer or something

No didn't think about it, had spent 15 odd years renting, I could have owned a house by then

Same as renting only you get to stay in the same place for longer or something
oh, you can bury 'pets' in the garden without anyone ever finding them

No.

It was undervalued in a market that was gaining steam.

Sold it four years later.

Bought the first house we seriously looked at.
Took 9 months for the deal to go through and was nothing but stress.

Man selling it had bought it off an ex but she ghosted him and fucked off to Spain as soon as the papers were signed, so despite it being sat empty for 10 years and him living around 100+ miles away he didn't want to let it go.

Doubled our money on it in 5 years so was worth it.

Nervous? No. Excited. Yes.

We bought our first house 3 months after we got married. We'd been looking around for quite a while, and finally settled on a new, and I mean brand new we were the first owners, townhouse.

No buyers remorse, we were just happy to finally stop paying rent. And yes, it increased our commute times by about 1~1.5 hrs extra per day, depending on traffic.

I looked at a few places but I do a lot running and they were building a new Riverside housing estate right on the border of the city and the countryside so I ended up buying there off plan after seeing the show house.

Meant that I got to choose all my fixtures and tiles, kitchen units etc

It was nice moving into somewhere brand new and just a 25 minute walk to work.

Bought my first one in 2003 in Winnipeg. We lucked out as there was a newly constructed house that came on the market after the couple who was buying it backed out of the sale. We saw it when it was almost finished and were able to choose floorings, paint and a few other touches. Not really nervous, but excited. We’ve bought and sold 3 more houses since then, and each one has proven to be a great eexperience.

looked for ages to find the right place for us. Found it and bought it. The couple we bought it from promptly disappeared off the grid and we had folks from finance writing to them and turning up to talk to them.

We sold it 2 years later , bought it for 60,000 pounds and sold it for almost twice that. Second person who saw it bought it there and then. The first guy then called 30 minutes later wanting to make an offer...

No I was excited. We put offers on 5 houses prior but the market was hot at the time(2013). I couldn't even find a place to rent here in CA for what my mortage is so if I couldnt afford my mortage I couldnt afford to live. I plan on paying this off long before I retire

I fell in love with my house before I bought it

Competing bidders. Banking issues and delays with a quick closing date. All kinds of pressure

Why do people think that renting is bad?

It can be good and it can be bad. The problem I see with renting is that payment never ends. It is going to make retirement a lot harder. In my situation I bought a house at a great time after the 08' recession so I have a low mortgage payment

If you have cheap rent take advantage of it to save money or invest.

I was overconfident.

Buying a house is like raw sex. You get in there and it’s all good. Then after the deed is done you lay back and realize that there’s a lot to take care of now and you can’t do it by yourself.

Nervous and excited. Got our place way undervalued as the seller had a terrible realtor who put it up about 40k less than it was worth hoping to incite a bidding war. But also had the worst pictures imaginable so most people didn’t even bother. Even our realtor said the listing looks bad. But we luckily took a chance and the place looked nothing like the listing and we had it offer in within a week.

Back