Were you an A Grade Student?

I was always a B-C person which never really looked good bc my parents both retired from teaching for 36-37 years. I went to school more to socialize so never took any books home really so was lucky to get b-c’s.

More common sense than book sense for sure

I was straight As until I got to university and had a massive existential crisis and realized I had no idea why I was doing anything that I was doing.

Recovered by my final year but didn't really turn on the intellectual jets again until money became a real incentive.

giphy.gif

I'm interested to see how grad school goes for me.

What grad degree are you after?

I was straight As until I got to university and had a massive existential crisis and realized I had no idea why I was doing anything that I was doing.

Recovered by my final year but didn't really turn on the intellectual jets again until money became a real incentive.

What grad degree are you after?

Either applied mathematics or one of it's crusty CS/EE bastard children; I haven't decided.

I was really into astronomy in high school.

I took up space all 4 years.

let's see.
i skipped 8th grade since i was given the option to do so.
i was so bored with school, i stopped doing homework around the 9th grade.
the 11th grade, i basically cut out half the year, and only showed up for tests (all of which i aced much to my teachers chagrin).
i ended up getting thrown out HS my senior year, and went to an experimental night HS a couple years later.

i fucking owned the computer programming classes i took a few years later when i started to look into getting into the IT field, though i don't do computer programming professionally now (decided sitting in front of a computer for 7-12 hours a day coding wasn't my thing).
Grade skipping crew checking in. Class skipping crew checking in.

anyone else (Americans at least, not sure if it was offered elsewhere) read extra books as a kid specifically for that free pizza Book It joint they had at Pizza Hut back in the day?

had they retained that type of incentive through HS, perhaps Jane Eyre wouldn't have been disgustingly boring. Just saying....

Not surprising that Sherdog's GPA is a bit like it's bench press. Who'd have thought this place had so many curve setters, people for whom school was laughably easy, and prodigies? I certainly never would have guessed! ;)

Ill add to that. I started college before high school. General math and science classes but got all As at age 13. Then I went back to high school classes and got bumped up a grade into my older sisters class. She hated me. I now have two college degrees and own a business.

Grade school - middle of the pack (except math)
junior high - middle of the pack (except math)
early high school - middle of the pack
second half of high school - highest average

ugrad - 27th out of 128 in graduating class
grad school - best of my peers
post doc - didn't finish it. quit to do a start up.

tech startup-meister - persistence combined with 'good to be lucky'

Grade school - middle of the pack (except math)
junior high - middle of the pack (except math)
early high school - middle of the pack
second half of high school - highest average

ugrad - 27th out of 128 in graduating class
grad school - best of my peers
post doc - didn't finish it. quit to do a start up.
peaked at the right time my dude, respect

anyone else (Americans at least, not sure if it was offered elsewhere) read extra books as a kid specifically for that free pizza Book It joint they had at Pizza Hut back in the day?

had they retained that type of incentive through HS, perhaps Jane Eyre wouldn't have been disgustingly boring. Just saying....

I don't think there was a pizza book club benefit where I stayed but I do remember there being benefits to finishing books and writing quick opinion pieces on them in school. Free books, snacks, and cheap toys if memory serves.

I read a bunch of Steven King books one month and handed all my papers in thinking I'd get a huge pat on the back. That bitch called a parent teacher conference because she didn't think a nine year old should be reading The Stand and IT. Jokes on her though my mom didn't even show up.

peaked at the right time my dude, respect

All poorly planned and random.

Not that it matters to my classmates but in ugrad my aim was to learn as much as possible, not to aim for top marks. Most of my peers were just there to get out as soon as possible, work for 3 years and then get an MBA.

I have no regrets and I'm glad I didn't rush into the rat race of corporate jobs that most of my classmates flocked to. Most went to Nortel (insert your own joke here).

Ill add to that. I started college before high school. General math and science classes but got all As at age 13. Then I went back to high school classes and got bumped up a grade into my older sisters class. She hated me. I now have two college degrees and own a business.

tenor.gif

I don't think there was a pizza book club benefit where I stayed but I do remember there being benefits to finishing books and writing quick opinion pieces on them in school. Free books, snacks, and cheap toys if memory serves.

I read a bunch of Steven King books one month and handed all my papers in thinking I'd get a huge pat on the back. That bitch called a parent teacher conference because she didn't think a nine year old should be reading The Stand and IT. Jokes on her though my mom didn't even show up.
i trolled my AP English lit teacher senior year hard, out of pure spite for reading such bs books that were astonishingly boring

we had to read a NY Times Best Seller so i chose....'Have a Nice Day' the autobiography of Mick Foley hahahaha

All poorly planned and random.

Not that it matters to my classmates but in ugrad my aim was to learn as much as possible, not to aim for top marks. Most of my peers were just there to get out as soon as possible, work for 3 years and then get an MBA.

I have no regrets and I'm glad I didn't rush into the rat race of corporate jobs that most of my classmates flocked to. Most went to Nortel (insert your own joke here).
the number one hirer of college grads in the US (outside the US government, IIRC) is......Enterprise Rent a Car as you have to possess a degree to work even as the lowest level Management Trainee

that was my first job, i was good after like day two. Not trying to up-sell for no reason, or hide little dents and blame randos b/c they bought the Damage Waiver, no thank you.

No. I didn’t give to shits about high school.

i trolled my AP English lit teacher senior year hard, out of pure spite for reading such bs books that were astonishingly boring

we had to read a NY Times Best Seller so i chose....'Have a Nice Day' the autobiography of Mick Foley hahahaha

Right on. I'm pretty sure Artie Lange's autobiography was a NYT best seller too so much to troll with.

That teacher was a real problem for me. I was always scared to have my mom sign my tests because she'd fly off the hook if she was drunk; aka always. I'd have to get them signed early in the morning or another creative way where I could get a signature and bounce before things could get too bad.

I'd regularly take a few days to show up with a signed test but I always got it done. One week the teacher flipped out on me and sent home a mandatory teacher conference slip and I put off giving my mom the form as long as I could. Which was the morning of the conference. So I wake my mom up and tell her she has to sign the slip and meet my teacher that day and somehow she hopped out of bed and super man punched me at the same time. She then dragged me to the car and drove me to school, made me show her to the class, and then her and teacher spent the next ten minutes in the hall going on about me during class time.

I think the teacher realized things weren't right because she ended up giving my mother a super positive report of me. Which was obviously not the intended reason for the meeting.

Haha..same for me.....I'd had enough pretending i was "Gifted and Talented" and got myself busted down to Premium level. Finally got to hang out with cool peeps and have some fun!

Start of high school I was in the academic program (but struggling) , bye the end of it I was in with the dumb shit classes going on school camps, driving boats and basically doing heaps of cool shit so we didnt disrupt the other students, while failing academically.

Yeah I got A’s. In college too. Academics is easy.

It would fluctuate between classes depending on if I needed the credit, to much homework ( I never did homework at home), or just in general how good I am at the subject. Overall I probably averaged a C, all I cared about was passing the class whether I got A's and B's didn't matter to me because I knew it would never matter in the real world. I just did the bare minimum to pass.

Back